Photo

collect stem cells for future use

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 thinkdifferent

• 19 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:20 AM

Hi to all,
I'm a totally newbye in the stem cell topic and please forgive my ignorance.

I was looking at the book transcend (authors Kurweil and Grossman) and found this web page: http://www.rayandter.../new_tech.shtml ()

"More recently some people have begun to use stem cells found in their own adult bodies to help repair and rejuvenate their own tissues. It now appears that everyone at any age has stem cells that can be used, not just stem cells from embryos and newborns. However, like all the other tissues and cells in your body, your stem cells are also subject to the aging process and younger stem cells work better than older ones. The key is to collect and freeze some of your cells as early in your life (after age 21) as possible"

It's not a cheap service but I can afford it after all.

I'm 27, do you think it's a good idea to save some of my stem cells or it's a waste of money?
Anybody doing this?

Thanks
  • like x 1

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

Hi to all,
I'm a totally newbye in the stem cell topic and please forgive my ignorance.

I was looking at the book transcend (authors Kurweil and Grossman) and found this web page: http://www.rayandter.../new_tech.shtml ()

"More recently some people have begun to use stem cells found in their own adult bodies to help repair and rejuvenate their own tissues. It now appears that everyone at any age has stem cells that can be used, not just stem cells from embryos and newborns. However, like all the other tissues and cells in your body, your stem cells are also subject to the aging process and younger stem cells work better than older ones. The key is to collect and freeze some of your cells as early in your life (after age 21) as possible"

It's not a cheap service but I can afford it after all.

I'm 27, do you think it's a good idea to save some of my stem cells or it's a waste of money?
Anybody doing this?

It would depend on the direction of regenerative medicine, for one thing. If Induced Pluripotent Stem cell technology is perfected, which appears to be the direction things are headed, then stem cell banking probably wouldn't be essential. There would be a window of time, perhaps very long, perhaps not, in which your own stem cells would be the only game in town. If you had a need for them during that time window, then it might be a good investment. There's also the question of how rapidly adult stem cells age. Your existing cells might be perfectly fine, given that the rest of your cells would be the same age. Then there are questions regarding the quality and financial health of the organization that banks the cells, and the safety of the harvesting and banking processes. I don't know anyone who's doing this. Banking of umbilical cord blood and deciduous (baby) teeth are options that have been around for a while. It might be possible to find some data on the relative value of those, just for comparison.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

http://www.nature.co...ls.2008.48.html

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Tron

• 7 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

I'm about your age, and I've deliberated about this.

First, It is common to collect stem cells from a cancer patient before they start chemotherapy by injecting factors that increase the stem cell counts in the blood. The idea is that they can then be harvested from the blood, then reintroduced after the chemo, and it helps recovery somehow. But as I recall, family members may do this if the patient is in very bad condition... Which would mean that the stems cells dont need to be your own to work for you ( the closer the genes are to yours the better I would think, just don't use animal stem cells :) )... So worst case scenario, if you dont freeze your stem cells when you are young, I would think you could always get them from someone who is, if it turns out that young stem cells are better...

Also, recently I was reading about heterochronic parabiosis (the study was connecting the circulatory systems of old and young mice, simply fascinating!), I remember that there was evidence that old stem cells acted like young stem cells when exposed to young blood! And that young stem cells acted old when exposed to old blood! This would suggest that the stem cells may be fine in old people (and I believe they dont diminish in number either), and that the problem is something in the blood.

Another point, freezing biological things like cells works: as sperm and eggs are frozen routinely. However, I recall that the younger you are, the more likely that your sperm will "survive" the freeze, and be able to move around like a tadpole. This indicates to me that freezing does have downsides, and "fresh" cells may be better than frozen ones.

So, personally I dont think that it likely offers a great advantage worth a large investment, unless you have a ton of money to play with.
But as a disclaimer, I have not studied stem cells to a great extent. There may be some critical need for your own stem cells, as my paranoid brain can imagine that using someone else's stem cells may result in the body recognizing the differentiated cells as being invaders, but I dont know if this really occurs in practice.

In any case, my logic above is enough to convince me to keep my money, but to be really sure, more studying should be done. Hope this helps you.

Edited by Tron, 04 August 2010 - 12:29 PM.

• like x 1

#5 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

It has been recently suggested that stem cells be harvested from dental pulp (i.e. wisdom teeth) as described in this article.

Also, it is now starting to become more routine to save a baby's umbilical cord to harvest stem cells from according to this article. I think this method may have also been mentioned in transcend.

I'm sure over the next few years we'll see many "discoveries" made as to where stem cells may be harvested from in the body. Right now I think these are the two most viable options out there, other than what has been aforementioned.

#6 Arcanyn

• 54 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:15 AM

Also, recently I was reading about heterochronic parabiosis (the study was connecting the circulatory systems of old and young mice, simply fascinating!), I remember that there was evidence that old stem cells acted like young stem cells when exposed to young blood! And that young stem cells acted old when exposed to old blood! This would suggest that the stem cells may be fine in old people (and I believe they dont diminish in number either), and that the problem is something in the blood.

Interesting. I wonder if regular blood transfusions from younger people would be a useful therapy (though it is a little vampiric).

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:41 AM

User stemcellbackup just posted a notice here about his commercial blood cell banking service. As Longecity doesn't allow commercial postings in the forums, I moved the post to Supplements/Retailer and Product Discussion. Although the company is called "Stem Cell Backup", it looks like they store ordinary blood cells for later possible use as induced pluripotent stem cells. This would of course hinge on the availability of such technology in a clinical setting, not a guaranteed outcome.

#8 Tithonus

• 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:34 AM

I posted correspondence I had with Patrick about the stem cell banking service, at the link you supplied niner. If anyone is interested in the service still.

#9 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:41 AM

Would frozen stem cells even be viable after a decade or two?

#10 kmoody

• Guest, F@H
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

Can you PM me sources on this?

#11 kmoody

• Guest, F@H
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

Would frozen stem cells even be viable after a decade or two?

Yes. Empirically shown to be viable for at least a decade (I seem to recall a paper where they thawed after two, but could not find it). Theoretically limitless. You freeze in LN2 and biological activity effectively stops. The only real damage incurred is from the freezing reagents, but you can achieve something like 80-90% viability with little difficulty.

#12 Tithonus

• 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:01 PM

I know you asked for it to be PM'd to you, but I felt perhaps others would enjoy reading the article as well.
This link will take you to the Methuselah Foundation page on the article. Please let me know if the link doesn't work for you.

https://www.mfoundat...detaildisplay=Y

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users