- - - - -

Russians cure aging?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 bio123

• 86 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

http://rt.com/Top_Ne...-skulachev.html

A Russian scientist says he has beaten the problem of aging and in just a few years the medicine that stops it will go on sale.

Professor Vladimir Skulachev says he managed to find an anti-oxidant that stops the gradual deterioration of health caused by age.

It looks complicated and it certainly is. For Vladimir Skulachev it is almost a life's work. Two more years of testing and the doctor thinks he will have finally cracked the enigma of aging.

Apparently it's all about how oxygen reacts in the body.

“99% of the time oxygen turns into harmless water, but there's that one percent that turns into a super-oxide that later turns into very poisonous elements,” Vladimir Skulachev, Professor of Bioenergetics, reveals. “So the task was to find an anti-oxidant that stops that process.”

And hence, according to the professor, it would also stop people from getting old.

He has been working to prefect his treatment for more than 40 years. The difficult part of the process has been to try and prevent any side-effects, he notes.

Colleagues around the world think Dr Skulachev is on to something.

Nobel Prize winner Dr. Gunter Blobel, M.D., Ph.D. at Rockefeller University, believes Skulachev’s theories look very realistic.

“It has been shown that oxidative damage is huge. But we do not have an anti-oxidant of the type that Skulachev has developed. He coined the term bioenergetics. He is clearly the world’s best bio-chemist and bio-energetic scientist,” Blobel stated.

The compound has already undergone animal testing and the results appear promising.

Rats that have been given the drug are much more lively than those not treated.

“Finally, we hope that we will manage to convince people that a single pill treats many threats of aging. So, it must be doing something with the aging itself,” Maksim Skulachev Cand. Sc. (Biology) explains. “Then, if authorities will accept this logic, maybe we could somehow market it as anti-aging drug.”

After success with eye drops in animals, the inventor tried the medicine on his own cataract.
Six months later, his physician told him his cataract was gone.

Thousands are queuing to take part in the clinical trials, which have just begun. But it will be a few years before Dr Skulachev's discovery reaches the shelves of an average pharmacy.

Some have already dubbed the drug a panacea. And if it lives up to its promise, the treatment should have an effect on the diseases of aging and bring with it the prospect of a longer and better quality of life

#2 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

Which drug? skq1?skq1 seems to extend lives of short-lived animals, not long-lived, and by not much
Not that skq1 couldn't be improved to better things, it just wouldn't double our lifespan

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 renwosing

• 148 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

There are many charlatans amongst the ruskies.

#4 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:46 PM

There are many charlatans amongst the ruskies.

And many charlatans amongst non - ruskies as well. Look up "Joseph Merkola" :)

#5 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

I can't stand outlandish claims, regardless of nationality. The science and data; where is it?

While anti-oxidants may be able to slow the rate at which damage accumulation happens, they will not repair cellular damage that has already accumulated in damaged, long-lived molecules. Unless Vladimir suggests that slowing oxidative damage will allow the body enough time to repair itself, I am not at all convinced that this approach will work as he believes. In fact, it's a band aid which is not addressing the root cause of the problem, which is the damage that ongoingly accumulates within cells and causes pathology.

Edited by Elus, 14 September 2010 - 06:09 PM.

#6 golden1

• 681 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:44 PM

http://rt.com/Top_Ne...-skulachev.html

A Russian scientist says he has beaten the problem of aging and in just a few years the medicine that stops it will go on sale.

Professor Vladimir Skulachev says he managed to find an anti-oxidant that stops the gradual deterioration of health caused by age.

It looks complicated and it certainly is. For Vladimir Skulachev it is almost a life's work. Two more years of testing and the doctor thinks he will have finally cracked the enigma of aging.

Apparently it's all about how oxygen reacts in the body.

“99% of the time oxygen turns into harmless water, but there's that one percent that turns into a super-oxide that later turns into very poisonous elements,” Vladimir Skulachev, Professor of Bioenergetics, reveals. “So the task was to find an anti-oxidant that stops that process.”

And hence, according to the professor, it would also stop people from getting old.

He has been working to prefect his treatment for more than 40 years. The difficult part of the process has been to try and prevent any side-effects, he notes.

Colleagues around the world think Dr Skulachev is on to something.

Nobel Prize winner Dr. Gunter Blobel, M.D., Ph.D. at Rockefeller University, believes Skulachev’s theories look very realistic.

“It has been shown that oxidative damage is huge. But we do not have an anti-oxidant of the type that Skulachev has developed. He coined the term bioenergetics. He is clearly the world’s best bio-chemist and bio-energetic scientist,” Blobel stated.

The compound has already undergone animal testing and the results appear promising.

Rats that have been given the drug are much more lively than those not treated.

“Finally, we hope that we will manage to convince people that a single pill treats many threats of aging. So, it must be doing something with the aging itself,” Maksim Skulachev Cand. Sc. (Biology) explains. “Then, if authorities will accept this logic, maybe we could somehow market it as anti-aging drug.”

After success with eye drops in animals, the inventor tried the medicine on his own cataract.
Six months later, his physician told him his cataract was gone.

Thousands are queuing to take part in the clinical trials, which have just begun. But it will be a few years before Dr Skulachev's discovery reaches the shelves of an average pharmacy.

Some have already dubbed the drug a panacea. And if it lives up to its promise, the treatment should have an effect on the diseases of aging and bring with it the prospect of a longer and better quality of life.

This video shows a diagram of his anti-oxidant molecule:

I didn't see this posted, but maybe I missed it.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:14 PM

Repeated topic, although the other one has no video. Maybe they should be merged.

http://www.imminst.o...ans-cure-aging/

#8 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:19 AM

Probably the skq1. However will it pan out - I'm anxious to see, as the talk about this compound has been going for quite some time.
If anything - potential drug developed in Russia would be a good news as there's no FDA (I mean - the US version) and the business is dealt in different ways overall..
btw - Don't forget we are (supposedly) talking NOT about a "simple" antioxidant, but a mitochondrial targeted one (and as we all know - the usual ones are far from reaching it to have any benefit).

Afterall - even if it can cure cataract - it'd make him a multimillionaire in a short time, doesn't even need to cure aging to accomplish that.

Edited by VidX, 15 September 2010 - 01:37 AM.

#9 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:57 AM

Probably the skq1. However will it pan out - I'm anxious to see, as the talk about this compound has been going for quite some time.
If anything - potential drug developed in Russia would be a good news as there's no FDA (I mean - the US version) and the business is dealt in different ways overall..
btw - Don't forget we are (supposedly) talking NOT about a "simple" antioxidant, but a mitochondrial targeted one (and as we all know - the usual ones are far from reaching it to have any benefit).

Afterall - even if it can cure cataract - it'd make him a multimillionaire in a short time, doesn't even need to cure aging to accomplish that.

I still don't see how it can cure any damaged cells/tissues. All it does is slow the damage. See my post above.

#10 bio123

• Topic Starter
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:36 AM

Lots of comments about this on the YouTube video I see: My link

#11 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:42 AM

Yeah, and most if not all the comments are the standard stuff: "Why would anyone want to live forever?" "The NWO will just kill this guy!" "Proper diet and exercise are the fountain of youth".

#12 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:01 AM

lol yes -

"this technology will be added to the mark of the beast system, blind will be able to see and lame will walk but only for short"

"Am I the only person who feels that scientist should be punched in the face for this?
Society needs people to age & die." - I bet the dude is around 18.

Anyway, this article smells a bit scammy, in one sentence it says that the guy claims it will "stop people from getting old" and the last one sounds like it's just a drug to extend lifespan a little and compress morbidity ( the phrase "longer and better quality of life", kinda like "Look, grandpa is sooo healthy, he can even walk from house to the store and back" ). I still have to watch the vid though.

Edited by chris w, 15 September 2010 - 11:04 AM.

#13 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

I still don't see how it can cure any damaged cells/tissues. All it does is slow the damage. See my post above.

I agree, but affecting a mitochondria at least to some extent would be a great step forward (one of the steps in SENS is mt-dna protection). But let's just wait. I'm sure journalists added a bit of their own "flavor" to the article, though substance curing cataract in a short time is no joke if true..

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

I agree, but affecting a mitochondria at least to some extent would be a great step forward (one of the steps in SENS is mt-dna protection). But let's just wait. I'm sure journalists added a bit of their own "flavor" to the article, though substance curing cataract in a short time is no joke if true..

I agree with VidX; there's nothing wrong with slowing damage. It buys time for damage reversal technologies to come about, if nothing else. What I don't see is how a mitochondrially targeted antioxidant fixes the damaged proteins in a cataract. Smells scammy, and the journalism is pretty dubious. RT is not exactly the BBC...

#15 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:38 PM

I agree with VidX; there's nothing wrong with slowing damage. It buys time for damage reversal technologies to come about, if nothing else. What I don't see is how a mitochondrially targeted antioxidant fixes the damaged proteins in a cataract. Smells scammy, and the journalism is pretty dubious. RT is not exactly the BBC...

Yes. How would an anti-oxidant repair a damaged cataract? Look at the following article on the molecular causes of cataracts and tell me how antioxidants fix this damage:
Medical Nanoimaging Pinpoints Cause Of Cataracts

ScienceDaily (Oct. 24, 2007) — At the Institut Curie, Simon Scheuring and the research team1, have for the first time observed a diseased tissue at very high resolution using atomic force microscopy (AFM). By studying the membranes of cells in a patient's eye cataract, Scheuring has discovered the molecular cause of this disease.

This is the first time that high-resolution AFM imaging of a diseased tissue has yielded information on the single molecule level of the disease. AFM has emerged from the state-of-the-art laboratory to bring us medical nanoimaging. These results are now online in the Journal of Molecular Biology.

The eye's lens focuses light and forms a sharp image on the retina thanks to the organization and specific properties of its constituent cells (see box overleaf). As in all tissues, cellular exchanges are essential for nutrition and removal of waste products, but in the eye they must nonetheless be adapted to the particular properties of the lens. The membranes of lens cells contain protein assemblies, the aquaporins and connexons2: the former act as water channels and the latter as channels for metabolites and ions. Together these membrane proteins ensure cell adhesion.

Using atomic force microscopy (AFM), which images the surface of a sample at a precision of one nanometer (one billionth of a meter), Simon Scheuring's team at the Institut Curie is studying how these protein assemblies function. An atomically sharp tip is scanned over the sample surface and its movements are tracked by a laser. The resulting data can be used to draw a topographical map of the sample. By comparing assemblies of aquaporins and connexons in membranes of healthy and diseased lens cells, Scheuring and colleagues have identified the biological changes that cause cataracts.

In this senile cataract, lack of connexons prevents formation of the channels ensuring cell to cell communication. These molecular modifications explain the lack of adherence between cells, waste accumulation in cells, and the defective transport of water, ions, and metabolites in a lens with a cataract.

This is the first time that high-resolution AFM imaging of diseased tissue has shed light on the molecular cause of a disease at the single membrane protein level. A step towards medical nanoimaging has been taken with atomic force microscopy.

The lens

The specific properties of the eye's lens cells enable the lens to function correctly. These cells have no nucleus or organelles, such as mitochondria, and are unable to perform certain biochemical functions essential for their nutrition, and therefore depend on transmembrane channels3 for transport of water, ions, and metabolites, and for waste removal. These cells are full of so-called lens proteins (crystallins), which ensure lens transparency. To avoid any loss of light, the lens is avascular and its network of cells is extremely compact: the gap between neighboring cells must be less than the wavelength of visible light.

Oxidative damage my ass. Ladies and gentlemen, how does oxidative damage accumulate in cells which have no mitochondria to generate that damage in the first place? Given this question, one might further ask WHAT reactive oxygen species (ROS) the antioxidants help to neutralize in these areas, when there are no ROS to be generated within these cells by the mitochondria.

If we speculate that free radicals form from stimuli outside the cells, such as from ionizing radiation, then what good is a mitochondrial-targeted anti-oxidant in treating this type of condition in the first place?

Edited by Elus, 15 September 2010 - 09:49 PM.

#16 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:53 PM

I've been googling him ( too bad I don't speak Russian ) and it seems Prof Vladimir Petrovich is not some total nobody in the Russian science community judging from the number of publications at least, I wonder what Dr Leonid Gavrilov would have to say about his creds.

This is a short interview with him from two years ago from Novayagazeta, but he doesn't dive into hard details too much. In the last paragraphs comrade Skulachev turns out to be pretty transhumanistically concsious. Read and critisize, guys :

Old age is curable. Moreover, this is just “vestige of the past”, inherited by humans from the animals. This is how it is considered by the Academician Vladimir Skulachev, the director of research institute of physics-chemical biology at Moscow State University. A few years ago an ambitious project, titled “Skulachev’s ions”, was started there. The goal of the project is struggle with aging, and attempt of extension the lifetime.

Q: Vladimir Petrovich, you have completed the 5-year stage of experiments. Have your expectations come true?

A: Yes, sure, though the results turned out to be rather unexpected in many aspects. When beginning our experiments, we supposed that the synthesized by us matter, that “struggles” with poisonous forms of oxygen in the cell, is capable of promoting extension of life term greatly. However, the effect was quite different. The lifetime did not extend too much, the physical process of aging got slower and sometimes it even stoppped. The animals, given our preparation, lived to old age staying in active and healthy condition, and then they died in a few days and even hours. You know, it looks like fulfillment of the prayer for easy death.

The outcomes are amazing. I wouldn’t speak about that, but it was repeated in other places, in particular, in Sweden, in the laboratory of the vice president of the Sweden academy of sciences, Barbara Cannon. Those experiments were done with an interesting subject – a kind of quickly aging mice. They live three times as less as the common ones, that’s about 9 months, and nevertheless they go all the life cycle through, including old age with all the signs of this period of life.

So, it has been proved that our substance, first, makes mouse’s life longer approximately for 50% and it helps avoiding many signs of the old age – baldness, grey hair, degeneration of retina, cataract, lowered immunity and others. For example, old mice are featured with a kind of stupor – they just sit and shiver, and they are interested in nothing. As for the experimental animals, they were active till the last day.

Q: But as I remember, when you were beginning your work, you had other kind of hopes. Have you given up the idea of dramatic extension of life term?

A: You don’t understand that we got even more than we counted for! It’s journalists to imagine that we struggled for immortality. In the meantime, our main task was prolongation not of life, but of youth. We struggle with humiliating condition of aging where the organism’s functions give up working one by one. One can put it that we would be happy with any result, but what we got is just amazing – that’s canceling many senile diseases.

Q: Has your project gone beyond the academic borders?

A: Not yet. At the moment all that is just scientific research. However, we have introduced it already into the veterinary practice. We have started treating the senile eye problems with animals. After we got final data of experiments with the lab animals, we got in touch with the ophthalmologists from the Veterinary Academy after K.A.Skryabin. The chair of the department Evgeny Pavlovich Kopenkin is a real devotee; he has placed the work on the broad footing and has cured hundreds of dogs, cats and horses.

At the time being we are preparing the documents to the ministry of health care and social development so that to get permission to start experiments with people. First, there was a problem: in some cases we could not find our substance in the organism of our lab animals. We even had suspicions that the preparation was given to the animals. So we had to buy the most sensitive equipment for 400,000 Euro; it is capable of detecting the minute doses of the substance in the solution. The question was settled, however, organization of clinical tests is a complicated procedure, and we are getting ready for that.

Q: And how does the nature “look” on all that? Are there any natural analogs with the action similar to that by your preparation?

A: Such cases are known in the nature. For example, there are big sea birds that live up to 50 years old without getting aged, and then die quickly. With mammals it is noticed that the duration of their life is in inverse ration to forming the poisonous forms of oxygen in mitochondria. The weaker this process is, the longer animals live. That was studied broadly in the world, but the best work was done in England two years ago by Professor Lambert who checked 12 different species – from baboons to mice. For 11 cases out of 12 the above mentioned rule works, and the exception was about so called “naked blesmol”. This mole rat was discovered in equatorial Africa in the middle of 19th century. Those beasts have strict hierarchy headed by a female that has up to three “husbands”, while others are “workers” or “soldiers” protecting her against snakes, the main enemy. Soldiers live no more than three years, getting killed in struggle with snakes, while the “queen” lives ten times as long. For some reasons, the poisonous forms of oxygen do not cause the suicide by cells, like it happens with other animals, and do not reduce the lifetime.

That’s a remarkable confirmation of my hypothesis that aging is a mechanism accelerating the evolution; when a creature has no enemies, aging becomes senseless. I always adduce an example of fox and hares. While hares are young they can just escape from the fox. With time, that becomes more difficult as the number of cells in the muscles gets reduced. Then the “smart” hare would manage to escape, while the “silly” one would be eaten. That way the hare’s species gets a chance to get “smarter” within one generation. But if not for the fox, the hares would not need to acquire new properties and they would not need aging, as its only function is making the organism look for new ways of survival.

Q: How would that “evolution hypothesis” look about the man?

A: Humans are not interested in their own evolution. If we need to fly, we build a plane. We adjust the environment to ourselves; we do not conform to it. This is why the biological evolution of the mankind has stopped. The necessity of specialized mechanisms disappears gradually with the man. The aging as a mechanism accelerating the evolution is not only unneeded, it is just harmful for us. All that worked while people lived in the woods and could not adjust environment to themselves. Now the aging is an atavism, an unproductive program, profitable for the human race, and disadvantageous for individuals. Our task is to place the man in the category of non-aging animals. Besides the blesmol, this is about giant crabs that have no enemies. This is about the pearl oyster that sits on the river bottom and no one troubles it. This is about giant turtles. Recently a turtle was found marked by Darwin during his famous trip to Galapagos Islands on the Beagle. That animal is still alive! The nature has a strict rule: when there are no enemies, then aging just disappears.

The synthesized by us substance kills exactly the human “enemies”; that’s the poisonous forms of oxygen causing the aging process. As a first approximation, this is one of the key moments and possibly there are several links in the chain through which the signal for aging is passed. However, the poisonous forms of oxygen appearing in mitochondria appear to be the “samurai sword” that executes the command to die.

There is a simple hypothesis that the poisonous forms of oxygen oxidize the albumen, the DNA. It resembles the process of staining of the car’s bottom. However, in our case, the process is selective and more complicated: heart, liver and kidneys get affected gradually. And the process looks quite different with the animals that were given our preparation. With them it’s usually one of vital functions to fail abruptly.

Q: Are you going to continue experiments and to find out what happens in that case?

A: Sure, now we are analyzing the reasons of death in each particular case. In relation to that, we are approaching another problem, the problem of sudden death. I have a hypothesis of why it happens; I call it the “Bais principle”. That’s one of the Moliere’s characters, with a nickname Barking. That doctor said “it’s better dying in accordance with the rules, then surviving against any rules”. That’s a striking sentence! If we talk of genome of this or that species, then it would be much safer and advantageous if individuals die in accordance with the rules, because in case an individual has had a grave disease, that may affect the genome, and when then a survived individual breeds, that may harm the whole race.

Q: But how is all that related to sudden death, when people die from cardiac arrest at the background of good state of health?

A: The matter is that sudden death very seldom comes to healthy people. Either those people are ill and are unaware of that, and then the sudden death “saves” their genome from the consequences dangerous for the whole species. Or that might be a consequence of some grave disease or shock, got over by a person, but that still might pose a danger for genome. “Bais principle” works mercilessly and it appears to be triggered with same mechanism that causes aging. All that is a mechanism invented by the nature so that the genome does not get spoiled.

Q: So, you try to cancel the useless for us mechanism, called aging. And what is going to happen next?

A: I would proclaim a slogan “From Homo Sapiens to Homo Sapiens-Descatenatus”. “Catena” is translated from Latin as “chains”. The man must not only be wise but also free from the “chains”, put on him by evolution. Incidentally, Ilia Mechnikov was the first to proclaim the idea. He considered that the man has many features inherited from animals, and they are not only useless, they are harmful for the man.

Q: What humans would be like?

A: They would be like those sea birds, which live long and die suddenly.

Q: And from psychological point of view?

A: That’s to be explained by other specialists. My task is to give a choice opportunity to the man. At the time being, humans do not have a choice. The paradox is that they have opportunities potentially. The mankind excels all the animals, but still keeps “faithful” to some principles of animal existence. To my mind, that’s quite absurd.

Edited by chris w, 15 September 2010 - 11:58 PM.

#17 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:08 AM

I'm not sure I get this.

As far as I can tell, it hasn't yet been proven to extend life in ANY organism ... it makes rats "more lively." So what?

Also, it doesn't address any of the points Aubrey de Grey raises in his SENS theory. How would it reduce glycation end-products, increase stem cell availability, or deal with extracellular junk or extracellular crosslinks? As far as I'm aware, that's not something even the best antioxidant could address, even theoretically.

#18 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:33 AM

As far as I can tell, it hasn't yet been proven to extend life in ANY organism ... it makes rats "more lively." So what?

Also, it doesn't address any of the points Aubrey de Grey raises in his SENS theory. How would it reduce glycation end-products, increase stem cell availability, or deal with extracellular junk or extracellular crosslinks? As far as I'm aware, that's not something even the best antioxidant could address, even theoretically.

If we can assume that it actually works as claimed, then increasing healthspan is a pretty big deal. It can't address most of the SENS topics, but it at least partially addresses the point of MitoSENS. At question here is the relative role of mitochondrial oxidative damage versus all the other forms of damage, for a long-lived organism such as ourselves. That would seemingly determine whether an approach like this helps a lot, a little, or not at all.

#19 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:08 AM

"The nature has a strict rule: when there are no enemies, then aging just disappears." - not new, but it makes sense, though I was under the impression that an animal has more resources for "repair", while Dr. puts it as an almost "automatic" removal of the cause. Interesting.

#20 bio123

• Topic Starter
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:16 AM

I notice that Vladimir Skulachev is on the SENS Advisory Board:My link
Perhaps Aubrey or Michael Rae might know something more about this?

#21 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

Yeah I don't understand that either.

#22 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:24 AM

huh! why?

plus.. should I take anything seriously? seems weird.. what about organs health.. and why suddenly die?

#23 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:24 AM

huh! why?

plus.. should I take anything seriously? seems weird.. what about organs health.. and why suddenly die?

#24 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

huh! why?

That's what extreme squaring of the mortality curve would mean essentially.

#25 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:49 PM

huh! why?

That's what extreme squaring of the mortality curve would mean essentially.

Sorry I don't understand, please explain yourself.

#26 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:22 PM

Here we have that morbidity/mortality/life span issue, if that would be true. Though I wouldn't disregard completely the thought to extend the health span without extending a max. life span as we really have no idea yet what kind of "soft" is at work and how can it react in certain conditions.

#27 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

makes no sense for people to just drop dead
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#28 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

makes no sense for people to just drop dead

Well it seems that it happens in some other species..

#29 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:32 PM

What do the oldest people in the world die of? Usually not the typical "diseases of aging". You can push your lifespan towards 100-110 by maximizing your healthspan, but not further than that.

In humans, squaring the curve pretty much means maximizing your "genetic potential", if you will. But obviously in the context of one person, there is no difference between maximum and mean lifespan.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#30 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:42 PM

Just found out that Dr.Vladimir was giving a lecture pretty close to where I live a few months ago. he was awarded with a respectful award by the local university, guy is not some noname underground "scientist", that's for sure. Let's wait.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users