• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Can computers take the place of teachers?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:41 PM

I really enjoyed this article.

Professor Sugata Mitra has been experimenting with placing computers near kids randomly to see if he can help them academically.

http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=C2

Edited by Reno, 26 September 2010 - 10:41 PM.

• like x 1

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:09 AM

Professor Sugata Mitra has been experimenting with placing computers near kids randomly to see if he can help them academically.

Curious methodology. How many of them steal the computers and sell them on ebay? If they were my kids, they would quickly be watching video game walkthroughs on youtube. Either way, I don't think it would help them academically. Help them pay for books and supplies, maybe.

With the right software, computers can be hugely educational, and could certainly replace teachers in some circumstances, but not others. IMHO...

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 Reno

• Topic Starter
  • 584 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:54 AM

If you haven't already I would suggest you read the article and watch the video.

Edited by Reno, 27 September 2010 - 12:56 AM.

#4 BritLee

• 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:22 AM

I do not think that any thing can take a place of a teacher because any technology or book do come for help but the one how make that thing understand to us is teacher if the teacher do not make us understand what should we do then.

Edited by maxwatt, 01 October 2010 - 02:08 PM.
spam sig

#5 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:44 AM

Bill Gates thinks so!

#6 Marios Kyriazis

• 466 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:07 PM

Computers will eventually take the place of human teachers, as is now happening with the case of doctors. How many people try to diagnose and treat their condition via the internet? By the same token, how many are trying to learn from the internet? Of course teachers will continue to be indispensible but for how long...

#7 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:59 PM

There was a study done recently which found that it was better to be in a lecture, rather than watch the lecture by video conference. Of course if Video conference is all you have then its better than nothing.

Set up in the correct way I think that computers can teach pretty well (e.g. Rosetta stone for language).

#8 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:12 AM

How are computers any better for teaching than books? I would love it if computers could help me understand a part of a math proof in a text book. But there's the problem, in order to further explain something, it's necessary to understand it.

#9 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:21 AM

How are computers any better for teaching than books? I would love it if computers could help me understand a part of a math proof in a text book. But there's the problem, in order to further explain something, it's necessary to understand it.

This is false, and I believe preliminary semi-successful Turing Test AIs are proving this currently. Deep Blue didn't "understand" chess...

#10 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:53 AM

This is false, and I believe preliminary semi-successful Turing Test AIs are proving this currently. Deep Blue didn't "understand" chess...

To teach is to convey understanding. So one either does not understand something, but just memorized someone else's understanding. Or one understands something and can therefore explain.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:24 AM

To teach is to convey understanding. So one either does not understand something, but just memorized someone else's understanding. Or one understands something and can therefore explain.

Sometimes teaching is only conveying data. When the data is in place, the understanding comes. Computers can constantly check to see if you understand the lesson, and can have a "conversation" with you. Computers can alter their approach if you aren't getting it. Books can not do things like this.

#12 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:06 AM

Computers are better than books because they are interactive, they can store much more information and allow you to drill down to the level you want quickly. They can automatically adjust to your level. They can provide testing with immediate feedback. They can provide multiple descriptions of the same problem, so if one explanation does not make sense another can be tried

Yes computers are not better than a great teacher, but lets face it (at least from my personal experience) mediocrity is the norm for teachers.

#13 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:34 AM

Computers are better than books because they are interactive, they can store much more information and allow you to drill down to the level you want quickly. They can automatically adjust to your level. They can provide testing with immediate feedback. They can provide multiple descriptions of the same problem, so if one explanation does not make sense another can be tried

Yes computers are not better than a great teacher, but lets face it (at least from my personal experience) mediocrity is the norm for teachers.

I agree with that...I wish math text books were computerized so that if I don't understand a symbol or operation, I can click on it to get the information that I need. In fact...surprised computer don't do all math today -- proofs, equation solving, etc.

#14 ChromodynamicGirl

• 134 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:36 AM

Most 'teachers' are nothing but unionized bureaucrats. They positively make people stupider and less curious. Sitting at home watching cartoons would be better than government schools.

Edited by ChromodynamicGirl, 15 October 2010 - 02:36 AM.

• dislike x 2

#15 churchill

• 286 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:47 AM

Most 'teachers' are nothing but unionized bureaucrats. They positively make people stupider and less curious. Sitting at home watching cartoons would be better than government schools.

In principle unions are a good thing, but when they stop progress and stop the ability for poor workers from being fired and good workers from being rewarded then they morph into a massive burden on society.

#16 ChromodynamicGirl

• 134 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

In principle unions are a good thing,

No, they're not. They're organized anti-competition leagues. Cartelization schemes.
William H. Hutt is quite good on the inanity of the economic theories behind unionism.
http://mises.org/res...keThreat-System
http://mises.org/res...tive-Bargaining

Edited by ChromodynamicGirl, 15 October 2010 - 10:07 AM.

• dislike x 2

#17 Reno

• Topic Starter
  • 584 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:50 PM

Last time I checked I wasn't in a union.... I can't say I've made my students watch a cartoon in class either. I guess I must be in the pedagogical minority.

Edited by Reno, 15 October 2010 - 11:54 PM.

• like x 1

#18 Una

• 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 07:45 AM

Yes computers can take place of teachers.As we can see nowadays doctors are doing surgeries via internet.So it is completely possible for having computer education instead of teachers.Online study programs are the examples of computer study.

#19 robomoon

• 209 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:03 PM

It is often hard to find out what those intelligent business people think. However, when there's a very limited number of commercial closed source operating systems for the teaching terminal, computers can take the place of teachers for some history lessons or some elementary geometry without greater difficulties. Otherwise, there will be Economic Consequences observed by most of humans as a way of what can be called a Social Problem.

Bill Gates thinks so!

Edited by robomoon, 19 November 2010 - 05:21 PM.

#20 Kolos

• 209 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:42 PM

Perhaps one day it will be possible to just upload information directly to the brain but I guess to understand what you are actually learning and use this information in practice would still require some help. Just imagine your brain is connected to the internet most of the time and you can just "google" answer to almost every question, that would change whole education system in many ways. Memorizing most data would be useless waste of time, children would have to learn creativity and the art of asking the right questions and choosing the best possible answers.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#21 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:56 PM

What an idiotic generalization.

Posted Image
  • like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users