• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

100 Year Old Man Returns to School

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:27 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...a0025e3b933855a

He's already been a teacher, a lawyer and a judge. Now he is starting on a PhD. Wonder if he's ever heard of us?

#2 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

Nice. To never stop being active, that seems to be very frequent among centenarians. But is it their active disposition that helps them to remain healthy, or their ongoing health that gives them the disposition?

#3 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

Maybe that's just being pessimistic, but I think it's more likely the latter. Sure, it's kind of a feedback cycle probably, but I guess square one here is their beneficial genetics, that only lets them build on top of that. I think people often overestimate their own power over such things, but it's really hard to do anything productive if you're feeling like shit everyday. Sad that in the end it's your body governing *you* when push comes to show, and not the other way around.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:31 AM

Automatic message

This topic has been moved from "Community -> Immortality Institute" to "Action -> Projects & Teams -> Supercentenarians".

#5 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:58 AM

I disagree. Having an active interest, better yet a few, can make you forget how you feel. In fact, forgetting that you were sick is the first step to being healed. (remember how it always happens? you suddenly remember: my headache is gone, I all forgot about it). In any rate, it's those 3 lbs between the ears that do the real living. The body is only the instrument for the brain. Keep it active and the body will oblige. Be bored to death and the body will oblige too by taking you out of your misery quicker. Just my take on it.
  • like x 1

#6 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

I disagree. Having an active interest, better yet a few, can make you forget how you feel. In fact, forgetting that you were sick is the first step to being healed. (remember how it always happens? you suddenly remember: my headache is gone, I all forgot about it).

You forget about the headache because it goes away, not the other way around. People can't just forget diseases away, unless they're psychological to begin with, which the vast majority of diseases aren't.

In any rate, it's those 3 lbs between the ears that do the real living. The body is only the instrument for the brain. Keep it active and the body will oblige. Be bored to death and the body will oblige too by taking you out of your misery quicker. Just my take on it.

While it is true that depression can lead to certain diseases or decrease people's health, the power that the mind has over the body is highly overrated.

#7 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

the power that the mind has over the body is highly overrated.

speak for yourself

You forget about the headache because it goes away, not the other way around. People can't just forget diseases away, unless they're psychological to begin with, which the vast majority of diseases aren't.

You're mistaken. There is a sort of a body map in the brain, which gets "checked" when a corresponding part is in pain (real physical pain caused by injury). Just before the healing occurs, it first occurs in the brain. Whatever changes chronic pain made in that body awareness map, gets undone first . At that time the person forgets about being sick. The bodily awareness map in the brain gets restored first and it corresponds to a feeling of a healthy (-er) body. When this happens, the memory of pain and illness is gone (for however long).

I give you an example. Imagine an old man taken to bed by an attack of chronic scoliosis. He is in bed for two weeks. Then he is healed. Does not matter how. Simply one night he falls asleep and wakes up without pain. At all. Not only that, he does not remember that he spent two prior weeks in bed. How can it be, you ask, how can anyone forget such a thing so soon? But that's exactly what happened. Not only that, he forgot for good two weeks (almost).

Well, he was lucky that he lived alone and there was nobody around to remind him that he was sick. No one asked him, how are you today, dear? Feeling better? I believe that if he had such a person around, he'd do what people do in such cases: They start looking for the symptoms of their disease. Is it really gone? It can't be. They search for it until they find it. There it is! Everything is back to normal.

Getting back to our old man, when he remembered, 2 weeks later, he did not get sick again (because the body had a chance to receive the healing signal from the brain for that long and he already got accustomed to not feeling pain, it became his new norm). He was elated and amazed that he could forget such a thing.

There boys, do not underestimate the power of your mind :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users