• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

io9 Blog- "Why the Singularity isn't going to happen"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: io9 Blog- "Why the Singularity isn't going to happen" (7 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of Annalee Newitz?

1. She's just a journalist doing her job. (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. She "stirs the pot" to pursue fame and money. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. She is probably a closet transhumanist who knows better. (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Someone get the Prozac!!! (4 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

5. Hey, she is the head editor of io9.com and so all should be forgiven! (0 votes [0.00%])

6. She is actually doing us a favor with the publicity! (3 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John_Ventureville

• 279 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:27 AM

Annalee Newitz, is once again fighting against transhumanism. But she has gotten more restrained as she does it...

http://io9.com/56615...kyline=true&s=i

This 2008 blog by Michael Annisimov deplores Annie Newitz for her
"Extropian trash" column from that year. I suppose she has somewhat
toned herself down... I wonder why? Perhaps the rising academic
and media respect for transhumanism has caused her to stay out of
full-bore rant mode. I've been told there is an online photo of her
where she is "giving the finger" to transhumanists! lol

http://www.accelerat...-transhumanism/

John Grigg

#2 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:04 PM

At least she doesn't deny that the Singularity can happen. I'm not expecting a perfect future either, i'm just expecting to be part of the future, and if nothing else i'm sure the Singularity will help us beat aging, unless the machines take over and kill us all. But dying by aging or by machines, it makes no difference to me. At least with machines around we have a chance to beat aging.

Edited by forever freedom, 04 November 2010 - 12:11 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 Maosef

• 10 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

She's right Adam Smith didn't see the problems of industrialisation such as urban squalor... but Alexis de tocqueville did. At least she isn't calling people trash anymore still could do with the prozac though.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:06 PM

At least she's actually thought about human history and the ways in which technology affects us. This is the first time I've read her stuff, so my opinion's not colored by whatever crazy things she may have said in the past. On the face of it, what she says here isn't that bad. She's not a Luddite; she's just trying to keep it reality-based. Note that she isn't saying the Singularity isn't going to happen; just that it isn't going to be the blissed-out heaven on earth that some seem to expect.

All I'm saying is that if you're looking for a narrative that explains the future, consider this: Does the narrative promise you things that sound like religion? A world where today's problems are fixed, but no new problems have arisen? A world where human history is irrelevant? If yes, then you're in the fog of Singularity thinking.

But if that narrative deals with consequences, complications, and many possible outcomes, then you're getting closer to something like a potential truth. It may not be as tasty as potato chips, but it's what we've got. Might as well get ready for the mutation to begin.

• like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users