Photo
- - - - -

Fish oil

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 07:16 PM

According to the World's Healthiest Foods website (http://www.whfoods.c...utrient&dbid=84) flax seed is the most dense source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids.

According to my calculations, and starting with a pound of BAC's organic flax seed I get the following results:

( $2.50 / 1lb Flax Seed ) * ( 1lb / 2.2kg ) * ( 1kg / 1000g ) * ( 1g / 0.266 g Omega 3's) = $0.0043 / g of Omega 3 Fatty Acids

(0.266 g Omega 3's per 1 gram Flax comes from the site given above)

Since Flaxseed appears to be the most dence source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids (bought cheaply at BAC) it makes since, on a value basis, to obtain your Omega 3s on this raw, unprocessed seed.

So for less than half a cent you can have over a gram of Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Which is only marginally better than chips idea. [thumb]

#32 lancelot

• 47 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 07:25 PM

You'll want to eat ground flax seeds for maximal health benefits while drinking your fish oils.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 07:27 PM

...and hold your nose [thumb]

#34 pinballwizard

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 10:58 PM

According to the World's Healthiest Foods website (http://www.whfoods.c...utrient&dbid=84) flax seed is the most dense source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids.

According to my calculations, and starting with a pound of BAC's organic flax seed I get the following results:

( $2.50 / 1lb Flax Seed ) * ( 1lb / 2.2kg ) * ( 1kg / 1000g ) * ( 1g / 0.266 g Omega 3's) = $0.0043 / g of Omega 3 Fatty Acids

Since Flaxseed appears to be the most dence source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids (bought cheaply at BAC) it makes since, on a value basis, to obtain your Omega 3s on this raw, unprocessed seed. 

So for less than half a cent you can have over a gram of Omega 3 Fatty Acids.  Which is only marginally better than chips idea.  [thumb]

Here is the way I take my ground flax seed mix or omega oil. http://shopping.nets...52/it.I/id.7/.f

Dr Sears, the zone diet guy has a similar mixture with his fish oil but that might taste nasty. He also recommends taking it with citrus fruit to get rid of the taste

#35 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 01:13 AM

According to the World's Healthiest Foods website ( http://www.whfoods.c...utrient&dbid=84 ) flax seed is the most dense source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids.

So for less than half a cent you can have over a gram of Omega 3 Fatty Acids.  Which is only marginally better than chips idea.   [thumb]

The problem with your analysis is that omega 3's in flax only convert at a rate of 5-15% to EPA/DHA, which are the desired end products.

#36 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 04:24 AM

Thanks for the clarification... I posted the source so everyone can double check. I knew you would.

#37 lancelot

• 47 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 08:22 AM

The problem with your analysis is that omega 3's in flax only convert at a rate of 5-15% to EPA/DHA, which are the desired end products.

Exactly. fish oils provide the omega 3's w/o conversion. take your fish oils straight and chase it with your protien shake or any drink. If you can't stand the taste, spend more and buy fish pills. Take your ground flax seed in your cereal, yogurt, salad or protein shake(my personal preference).

#38 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 02:54 PM

The Trader Joe caps of fish oil I now take sometimes provide me with some fishy burps. I wonder as to how effective the lemon taste incorporated in the product I listed last works to mask this.

Hey lemon, don't go too near their production facilities.

#39 lancelot

• 47 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:58 AM

If you are getting fish burps/breath, you can try taking it with food or buy enteric coated fish oils like from costco or NOW brand.

#40 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2004 - 06:56 PM

Haha, fish burps. They should put that in oxford.

Anyway, to the reason I am posting on this thread. For the last year I have been taking 80mg Strattera for my ADD. I also take a number of other supplements including CoQ10, multivitamin, and Omega 3 fish oil. I have not been on any nootropics now for close to half a year, although I am planning to begin a smallish regiment sometime soon.

Recently, I ran out of my Omega 3 and kept putting off going out and getting more (for about two weeks). I began to notice a marked decline in my concentration and acuity. Now keep in mind, I did not initially connect A to B. I just kept thinking to myself, "Man, I need to tell my doctor that this Strattera just isn't cutting it anymore."

However, when I finally did get around to buying my Omega 3 and began taking it again I noticed that my faculties shot right back up to where I'm use to them being.

Has anyone else noticed significant beneficial cognitive enhancement from Omega 3? Is it possible that the Omega 3 is treating my ADD symptoms and not the Strattera? (I began taking them at about the same time) I'm going to talk this one over with my doc anyway, but do you guys think maybe I should drop the Strattera for a while to get a better feel for the Omega 3 by itself?

#41 lancelot

• 47 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:06 PM

Has anyone else noticed significant beneficial cognitive enhancement from Omega 3?  Is it possible that the Omega 3 is treating my ADD symptoms and not the Strattera? (I began taking them at about the same time)  I'm going to talk this one over with my doc anyway, but do you guys think maybe I should drop the Strattera for a while to get a better feel for the Omega 3 by itself?

Unless your MD is a "holistic" type doc, he will know nothing about fish oils and other natural nutritional supplements to treat diseases. It's not part of their formal medical education. If the strattera is not working well for your ADD, i'll bet your doc will just put you on amphetamines instead. let us know what happens.

#42 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:10 PM

No you see thats the thing though. I'm satisfied with my mental state now that I'm back to my full regiment, but I'm no longer sure if the Strattera has anything to do with it... [glasses]

#43 lancelot

• 47 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:27 PM

I understand, but do you think your MD will be able to tell you if it's the Strattera or fish oil that's helping you with the ADD?

#44 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:54 PM

I'd say probably not, which is why I'm asking here. :) I also doubt he would put me on Amphetamines however, since his dissatisfaction with them was in large part his original rationale for recommending Strattera.

Edited by DonSpanton, 31 December 2004 - 12:08 AM.

• Lurker

Posted 31 December 2004 - 04:03 AM

Stick with Strattera and fish oil then. If I could get Strattera prescribed to me in Canada I would, but unfortunately it remains unavailable (last time I checked). A high dose of Strattera works relatively well for me, and the effect is cumulative with benefits I recieve from my nootropic stack.

#46 stellar

• 366 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 05:12 AM

Can someone tell me if emulsified fish oil is better than the regular kind? I read somewhere that it was more bioavailable. Hopefully someone can set the record straight.

OT: does anyone here take Sesathin alongside with EFA's?

#47 lancelot

• 47 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 05:17 AM

Stick with Strattera and fish oil then. If I could get Strattera prescribed to me in Canada I would, but unfortunately it remains unavailable (last time I checked). A high dose of Strattera works relatively well for me, and the effect is cumulative with benefits I recieve from my nootropic stack.

You consider strattera as part of a nootropic stack? you couldn't pay me enough money to be taking strattera DAILY.

• Lurker

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:02 PM

lancelot, I don't consider Strattera a nootropic substance strictly speaking. I also know that there are a sizable portion of people who don't respond well or at all to Strattera.

#49 fuzzzone

• 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 12:50 AM

I don't have any additional info to contribute on the EPA/DHA question, but i can give a bit thumbs up to iherb.com as a supplier. I've ordered from them several times over the last 2 or 3 years and i've always found their prices to be excellent and shipping times to be fast, they're legit and professional.

#50 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:26 PM

I know that Omega 3 is good and found in fish oil, but I also know that animals fat is not healthy... it has some oppositeness in some way, isn't it?
I'd like to have an explanation...
Thank you very much,

yours truthfully
~Infernity

#51 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:37 PM

I know that Omega 3 is good and found in fish oil, but I also know that animals fat is not healthy... it has some oppositeness in some way, isn't it?
I'd like to have an explanation...
Thank you very much,

yours truthfully
~Infernity

The animal fats that you refer to which are considered by many as "unhealthy" are saturated fats, not omega 3 fats which are essential. If you are looking for a full explanation of the benefits of omega 3 fatty acids, or the mechanism....there are tons of articles and books. Here is one by David Tolsen....Sphongled (sp?)

http://www.1fast400....gredients_id=19

#52 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:38 PM

Thank you Scott,

I saw a few articles and programs about experiences with omega 3, but I still know very little about it. I shall read abit more (thanks for the web site too).

Thanks again,
Yours truthfully
~Infernity

Edited by infernity, 10 March 2005 - 04:01 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#53 elevated

• 30 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 01:01 PM

Ive been using fish oil at 14 caps a day (NOW Omega-3) for the last two weeks regularly and have noticed a major improvement in my mindset. I have been much more positive, less negative thoughts come through. I had been taking the omega-3 caps for 2 months but stopped and I was beginning to get much more prone to negative thinking. I feel like my old self again since resuming the 14 cap dosing protocol of omega-3, (not to sound like a commercial for Pfizer ;) )

I would pay 20 dollars for a bottle of fish oil if I had too (luckily its fairly inexpensive), thats how much I prize its value.

A basic combination thats works for me is:

500 mg Rhodiola
10 mg Vinpocetine
7 fish oil caps (NOW brand)
1 Hydergine FAS 4.5mg tablet
1 Ashwagandha (NOW brand)
1 Bacopa cap (Paradise herbs)
2 grams Piracetam
500 mg Aniracetam
500 mg Alpha GPC
2 gram ALCAR

I take this combo upon waking in the moring and in the afternoon (except for the Hydergine FAS and Alpha GPC which is only taken in the morning.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users