- - - - -

Raymond Kurzweil´s daily supplementary intake

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 baculaat

• 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

Raymond Kurzweil´s daily supplementary intake

"I take about 250 pills of nutritionals a day".

"For boosting antioxidant levels and for general health, I take a comprehensive vitamin-and-mineral combination, alpha lipoic acid, coenzyme Q10, grapeseed extract, resveratrol, bilberry extract, lycopene, silymarine (milk thistle), conjugated linoleic acid, lecithin, evening primerose oil (omega-6 essential fatty acids), n-acetyl-cystein, ginger, garlic, l-carnitine, pyrodoxal-5-phosphate, and echinacea. I also take Chinese herbs prescribed by Dr. Glenn Rothfeld. For reducing insulin resistance and overcoming my type 2 diabetes, I take chromium, metformine (a powerful anti-aging medication that decreases insulin resistence and which we recommend everyone over 50 consider taking) and gymnema sylvestra. To improve LDL and HDL cholesterol levels, I take policosanol, gugulipid, plant sterols, niacin, oat bran, grapefruit powder, psyllium, lecithine and lipitor. To improve blood vessel health I take arginine, TMG and choline. To decrease blood viscosity I take daily baby aspirin and lumbrokinase. I reduce inflammination by taking EPA/DHA and curcumin. I have dramatically reduced my homocystein level by taking folic acid, B6 and TMG. I have a B12 shot once a week and take a daily B12 sublingual. Several of my intravenous therapies improve my body's detoxification: weekly EDTA and monthly DMPS. I also take n-acetyl-carnitine orally. I take weekly intravenous vitamins and alpha lipoic acid to boost antioxidants. I do a weekly glutathione IV to boost liver health. Perhaps the most important intravenous therapy I do is a weekly phosphatidylcholine IV, wich rejuvenates all of the body's tissues by restoring youthful cell membranes. I also take PtC orally each day and supplement my hormone levels with DHEA and testosterone. I take I-3-C, chrysin, nettle, ginger and herbs to reduce the conversation of testosterone into estrogen. I take a saw palmetto complex for prostate health. For stress management I take l-theonine, beta-sitosterol, phosphatidylserine and green tea in addition to drinking 8 to 10 cups of green tea itself. At bedtime I take GABA and sublingual melatonin. For brain health I take acetyl-l-carnitine, vinprocetine, phosphatidylserine, ginkgo biloba, glycerylphosphatidylcholine, nextrutine and quercertin. For eye health I take lutein and bilberry extract. For skin health I use an antioxidant skin cream on my face, neck and hands every day. For digestive health I take betaine HCl, pepsin, gentian root, peppermint, acidophilus bifodobacter, fructooligosaccharides, fish proteins, l-glutamine and n-acetyl-d-glucosamine. To inhibit the creation of advanced glycolysated end products I take n-acetyl-carnitine, carnosine, alpha lipoic acid and quercertin."

Source: the book 'Fantastic Voyage'

#2 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

Does he give the milligram (and/or microgram, etc.) amounts per ingredient of his regimen in the book?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

Some information can be found here. Good read anyway.

http://www.fantastic.../ShortGuide.pdf

#4 baculaat

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

Does he give the milligram (and/or microgram, etc.) amounts per ingredient of his regimen in the book?

I´m afraid not.

#5 Zaul

• 120 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

Only?

:dry:

#6 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:25 PM

Only?

:dry:

Kurzweil is in a competition with Paul Wakfer on who can take the most pills per day. :laugh:

LIke Maxwatt said once, (paraphasing) "...some peoples regimens read like suicide notes..." :blink:

Edited by pycnogenol, 04 January 2011 - 04:29 PM.

#7 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

"...some peoples regimens read like suicide notes..." :blink:

For anyone not just jokingly considering suicide with vitamins, consider the following:

Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, February 27, 2007
23 YEARS OF DOCUMENTED VITAMIN SAFETY

(OMNS, Feb 27, 2007) Over a twenty-three year period, vitamins have been connected with the deaths of a total of ten people in the United States. Poison control statistics confirm that more Americans die each year from eating soap than from taking vitamins.

Where are the bodies?
A 23-year review of US poison control center annual reports (1) tells a remarkable and largely ignored story: vitamins are extraordinarily safe.

Annual deaths alleged from vitamins:

2005: zero
2004: two
2003: two
2002: one
2001: zero
2000: zero
1999: zero
1998: zero
1997: zero
1996: zero
1995: zero
1994: zero
1993: one
1992: zero
1991: two
1990: one
1989: zero
1988: zero
1987: one
1986: zero
1985: zero
1984: zero
1983: zero

The zeros are not due to a lack of reporting. The American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC), which maintains the USA’s national database of information from 61 poison control centers, has noted that vitamins are among the 16 most reported substances. Even including intentional and accidental misuse, the number of alleged vitamin fatalities is strikingly low, averaging less than one death per year for more than two decades. In 16 of those 23 years, AAPCC reports that there was not one single death due to vitamins.

These statistics specifically include vitamin A, niacin (B-3), pyridoxine (B-6), other B-complex, C, D, E, "other" vitamin(s), such as vitamin K, and multiple vitamins without iron. Minerals, which are chemically and nutritionally different from vitamins, have an excellent safety record as well, but not quite as good as vitamins. On the average, one or two fatalities per year are typically attributed to iron poisoning from gross overdosing on supplemental iron. Deaths attributed to other supplemental minerals are very rare. Even iron, although not as safe as vitamins, accounts for fewer deaths than do laundry and dishwashing detergents.

http://orthomolecula...mns/index.shtml

One might do more good than the intended harm with an overdose of vitamins. And there are much more convenient everyday substances available than soap:

2007 annual report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers:
Number	-	% of all exposures in category	-	Substance
377	-	0.250	-	Sedative/hypnotics/antipsychotics
331	-	0.990	-	Opioids
220	-	0.250	-	Antidepressants
208	-	0.270	-	Acetaminophen in combination
203	-	0.240	-	Cardiovascular drugs
188	-	0.410	-	Stimulants and street drugs
170	-	0.230	-	Alcohols
140	-	0.190	-	Acetaminophen only
99	-	0.230	-	Anticonvulsants
80	-	0.200	-	Fumes/gases/vapors
80	-	0.740	-	Cyclic antidepressants
70	-	0.270	-	Muscle relaxants
69	-	0.090	-	Antihistamines
63	-	0.350	-	Aspirin alone
45	-	0.120	-	Chemicals
44	-	0.230	-	Unknown drug
44	-	0.040	-	Other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
36	-	0.280	-	Oral hypoglycemics
28	-	0.200	-	Automotive/aircraft/boat products
21	-	0.080	-	Miscellaneous drugs
21	-	0.040	-	Antihistamine/decongestant, without phenylpropanolamine
20	-	0.050	-	Hormones and hormone antagonists
20	-	0.300	-	Anticoagulants
16	-	0.150	-	Diuretics
ZERO	-	0.000	-	Vitamins and Minerals

• like x 1

#8 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:51 PM

I fear you may be providing misleading statistics on purpose. So just to be clear, note that acute toxicity is one component of overall tox. As people may have guessed, long term tox. is the other one. Oh, and efficacy also plays a role (risk/benefit ratio)

Drugs save more people *and* harm more people than vitamins.

Most of the supplements Kurzweil takes have a horrible risk/benefit ratio.
  • like x 1

#9 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:04 PM

Sorry, but I disagree: To equate a supplement regime with suicidal notes - and be it with quite some long term risks as allegedly Kurzweil's - is actually a tune more misleading on purpose.

#10 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:59 AM

"...some peoples regimens read like suicide notes..." :blink:

For anyone not just jokingly considering suicide with vitamins, consider the following:

The vast majority of what Kurzweil takes are not "vitamins".

suicide notes... LOL!

#11 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

The vast majority of what Kurzweil takes ...

Kurzweil calls them nutritionals, OMNS Report posted also talks about multis, which many times include a fair amount of phenols too. Even if I wrongly subsumed them 'vitamins', a substance the body can't produce by itself but needs to get for optimal health from outside - in bad health one could take this term much more inclusive. As long ago said: Let food be your medicine.

Sure, I can't count metformin, lipitor, aspirin, or IVs as nutrients. And each of them alone could kill very fast with only a small mistake in dose. But this is far from making up the vast majority of this regimen.

Everything has a risk at too high a dosage. Just as with food again: it's essential, but overeating you'll indeed could kill yourself very fast. Still, dosages were not even talked about.

#12 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

Pamojja,

Out of sheer curiosity how many supplements do you take per day?

#13 Recortes

• 131 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

Pamojja,

This question, specially in this forum, sounds very unpolite.
  • like x 1

#14 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

Pamojja,

Not really. It is a supplement forum afterall.

#15 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

Sure, I can't count metformin, lipitor, aspirin, or IVs as nutrients. And each of them alone could kill very fast with only a small mistake in dose. But this is far from making up the vast majority of this regimen.

It will take more than a small mistake in dose to kill you with metformin. Over 5g can cause problems ....but people have survived taking 60g of it 'trying' to kill themselves with it. Quite a small mistake in dose. :p Oops, I accidently popped 6 500mg pills this morning instead of 1 ....(or oops, I accidently popped 120 pills this mornng). Heh. Regarding Aspirin, this risk is vastly higher with chronic overdose rather than a single instance.

On a side note ...even too much water can kill you.

Edited by mikeinnaples, 05 January 2011 - 05:12 PM.

#16 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

Pamojja,

Not really. It is a supplement forum afterall.

mikeinnaples - Thank you.

Recortes - Nothing unpolite about it. You need to chill out.

Edited by pycnogenol, 05 January 2011 - 07:37 PM.

#17 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

Well, in the context of some posters seemingly intent only to ridicule a rather extensive regimen - this could be easily mistaken with not the best of intentions. But be that as it may be..

I turned from not talking any for my whole life to taking too many for the size of my purse, due to getting a serious peripheral arterial disease (PAD) 2 years ago. Other than kismet, I don't believe the benefit/harm is equally bigger with pharmaceutical medicine.

On the contrary, the statin prescribed due to my PAD is extending the life of about only 1 in 33 who take it! And the serious side-effects, if only taken long enough, are very well known. The Aspirin prescribed at the same time also wouldn't have prolonged the short walking distance without disabling pain in my legs I was able to (3-400m). Nor did the immediately begun walking exercise and quiting to smoke - in fact, with these measures it went worse for the first months. Only something invasive like stenting could have improved blood circulation, but I wanted to try something less risky first (never started with the statin or aspirin either - for the lack of any benefit with claudication whatsoever).

Suspicious as I was to anything in the form of a pill, I started with Pauling's therapy at low dosages with no effects first. Only after months of slowly increasing the dose my pain-free walking distance improved (actually at those levels Pauling's recommends for cardiovascular disease, that is: 6g vit C and lysine). Very encouraged, over the months I added more and more supplements with more or less indications of benefits to arterial health. However, always only slowly increasing the dose (and in many cases never reaching the full recommended) for avoiding adverse or allergic reactions - and my bankruptcy.

A year ago I tryed to reduce my regimen to its essential because of the growing financial strain. For which I joined the TrackYourPlaque program by Dr. Davis. He seems to have the most clinical experience with what nutrients are really working in that area, which is impossible to know for sure if more and more supplements are added every few months. But that was too simple thought of me, because what works with some doesn't for others, and some things that Davis recommends, for example in the case of high Lp(a) 6g of total EPA/DHA - in his experience would be effective in 60% of patients only after one year of usage.. Due to all the discussions and experiences at TYP's forum I ended up with even much more - and not even 1 supplement less. However, my labs got a really good boost while there. There seems a rather strong synergistic effect between all vitamins, minerals and plant nutrients - additionally to really good nutrition - I've learnt it the hard way.

In the end that's great, because now I can not only walk without symptoms (upto 2 hrs), but even run again!

Of course, for up to one week I also tried to go cold-turky - but weakness in my legs was the first sign to show up again. Talk about 'vitamins' again...

Therefore, better ask how many supplements I don't take... lol

BTW, on my last checkup on seeing the lab results my doc commented: I would be in perfect health again!
gshh.. what a caricature of a 'professional'! At least he doesn't ridicule as some seem to prefer..
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#18 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

In the end that's great, because now I can not only walk without symptoms (upto 2 hrs), but even run again!

Pamojja, I'm glad to hear that you've gotten so much better! Aside from C, lysine, and omega-3s, what else are you taking? Do you have any sense of which parts of your regimen are the most important?

#19 firespin

• 116 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:43 PM

How many or what supplements that Raymondy Kuzweil take actually show evidence of increasing longevity/health or lower the risk of cancer or mental disease? I plan to begin taking such supplements but taking 250 supplements a day sound very unnecessary,.. and expensive. I noticed this:

For skin health I use an antioxidant skin cream on my face, neck and hands every day.

Skin-cream products do not have any good evidence that they work or work much...they are just ripping off the customer. This increases my doubt that all of the stuff Ray uses is even beneficial.

I wonder do he take pills or liquid for the supplements.

Edited by firespin, 05 January 2011 - 11:51 PM.

#20 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:53 AM

In this point I can only parrot Dr. Davis: About vitamin D, wheat elimination and fish oil he just recently said:

This is NOT the full solution. But I believe that it provides 80% of the benefit we see. Almost ridiculously simple.

I never felt much immediate effects with most supplements, maybe that's just me or my very slow increase in doses, but crossing a vitamin D3 level of 60ng/ml was when I first felt a consistent increase in energy. With my slowness in dosing I only recently reached 6g of omega3, in spite my Lp(a) just rose for the first time again. Though fish-oil helped already greatly with trigs, against high Lp(a) it's still not clear with me (a note of caution, apparently 1/4 of the population are of genotype ApoE 4 which experience detrimental effects by too much fat, and high dose fish oil too. Though I never made this genetic test, from my other lab-results it's clear, I'm not one of those unlucky who have to accomplish the seemingly impossible: not only reduction of carbs but also fats, with really not that much left to eat..)

Instead an increase of fats, like coconut and olive oil, reintroduction of eggs and fish, flaxseed, nuts, beside unlimited vegetables were all very beneficial to me. Starting to drink a glass of red wine also made my very slow HDL rise much faster (as with everything, this isn't working for everyone - therefore the recurring TYP theme: 'keep on tracking'..)

Though reducing my carb intake only by half, I'm glad that in my case that was already enough to get glycated hemoglobin sinking. Since some seem to have to go as low as 20g of carbs a day, just for not making it worse.

Pamojja, I'm glad to hear that you've gotten so much better! Aside from C, lysine, and omega-3s, what else are you taking? Do you have any sense of which parts of your regimen are the most important?

Dr. Davis isn't particularly fond of vit C and lysine, since he hasn't seen any impressive results of his patients taking it for a few months. For me high dose C right away eliminated a hay-fever recurring every year (since more than a decade). And a skin rush persisting on chest and shoulders already for 2 years went away too. But the one supplement I'm entirely dependent for my wellbeing is CoQ10. Already 4 years ago a terrible angina-like chest pain started troubling me seriously (docs never found a cause). Only much latter, and only once I got above 150mg of CoQ10 it finally went. Whenever this pain comes back its with unique precision: I intentionally reduced the dose trying to save some money, or I forgot to take, or took it with too much fibers.

My docs aren't particularly cooperatives when it comes to blood testing they don't really understand themself. So I'm still experimenting with different doses and variations of different Bs, TMG and Choline to get my homocystein below 10. I'm tolerating high doses of niacin very well, which I hold responsible for the biggest part of my healthy lipid changes.

Beside constant dose adjustment made to my intake - in my case mainly increases - the biggest change I made last year to which I contribute the latest improvements is the whole gamut of polyphenolic compounds I added or increased substantially, like from Blueberry, Green tea, Garlic, Pomegranate, Cocoa, etc., beside a first use of adaptogens, as ashwagandha and maca. But too many additional supplements to notice the crucial ones, if there are any.

To me it seems a whole orchestra playing together, and though the main performers are easily recognizable, I really don't thing the big D, C and F could do that well without the whole orchestra. If I would be able to differentiate which supplements are absolutely non-essential, my serious financial problems would be solved too. Till now each and every addition brought only improvements. Though I consider myself still very far from 'perfect health' - like my doc wrongly diagnosed my latest lab results. Being able to have a walk for 2 hrs without pain is a nice improvement indeed, but that is still far from what I was used.

More is not better in every case, for sure. But for me that seems to be the direction my supplement intake is taking me because of the results I'm experiencing after slowly increasing it in the course of two years. Financially - but also by the efforts and time needed to invest for such an extensive supplement regime - I wished it would be the other way round. But then, what is all the time and money worth, if one can't really enjoy it due to bad health?

#21 JKDC

• 52 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:06 AM

I believe he takes everything he can even if one supplement is only a little effective. I take about 1/6 of what he does. But for 250 pills they would need to be decent dosages. 4-6 pills are necessary for a good Omega 3 dose by itself. I take 8 just for GLA,EPA,DHA. I believe he has a lot of overlap with all those supplements though and he could cut it down. I don't think he needs oral NAC and a IV for instance. His regimen must cost $2000+ per month at least with those IV's. I would rather get blood tests and optimize oral dosages. But to say it has a poor benefit/risk ratio can't be proven. How many people does anyone know that have taken supplements for 50-70 years? 7-8 added years of life isn't trivial especially when he likely never gets sick or rundown in addition to a likely extended lifespan. The first proof that this works is from that earlier mouse study that added 11% to their lifespan and they had the activity of mice 1/3 their age. Crickets' lifespan has been doubled with the same supplement regimen. There aren't too many more studies because they always study at best 5 supplements at a time which isn't enough. Finally there is a study with 30+ substances and it was a smashing success. Each person has to make that decision for themselves if it is worth the expense and time. And no I don't sell any supplements or buy one brand. I am taking 5 different brands right now. Whatever has the best formulation and/or the cheapest price. I think about 20 different things at 1-2 caps per day besides the Omega 3's. $250/month at present for about 6 years and $100/month for 5 years before that. There are a few supplements that people need to be cautious.. A,D,iron,selenium are the main ones. E possibly as well. Long term toxicity is a question mark, but when compared to being on pharmaceuticals for 20-30 years it would compare favorably in all likelihood. I saw a study that showed a virtual certainty of cross reactions when taking 7-8 pharmaceutical drugs at once. Supplements bring side benefits when combined properly. Don't be overweight, exercise, manage stress, stimulate your mind, find happiness and take supplements to help with the inevitable deficiencies when the above is not met. That is my philosophy.

Edited by JKDC, 06 January 2011 - 02:14 AM.

#22 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

Fantastic Voyage is now over 7 years old. I remember reading a while back that Ray has cut it down (substantially?) but alas I have no source...

#23 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

Fantastic Voyage is now over 7 years old. I remember reading a while back that Ray has cut it down (substantially?) but alas I have no source...

Yeah, from the Glenn Beck interview (2008):

BECK: And you actually believe that you can, you may, unless you get hit by that bus I have waiting for you outside, that you can live forever, you are already taking, how many what is it, 230?

KURZWEIL: I cut it down. It`s like 150 pills a day.

BECK: Do you ever just kickback and go I couldn`t have another pill, uh, under your belt?

KURZWEIL: Not a big deal. I do it while checking e-mail.

BECK: OK.

• like x 1

#24 Methos000

• 144 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

Drugs mostly supress symptoms in my experience. In a few cases of acute trauma, I'll grant you have a point (e.g. nitrogycerin for heart attack). Chronic disease isn't something that Big Pharma treats well. They have drugs that can keep you alive a bit longer sometimes. If they managed to find an actual cure for some condition, well...profits would be adversely affected.

Edited by Methos000, 06 September 2011 - 03:47 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#25 Methos000

• 144 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

I fear you may be providing misleading statistics on purpose. So just to be clear, note that acute toxicity is one component of overall tox. As people may have guessed, long term tox. is the other one. Oh, and efficacy also plays a role (risk/benefit ratio)

I don't think the statistics provided are misleading. They indicate that it's rather difficult to kill yourself with vitamins. They clearly have no bearing on the question of whether there may be issues associated with excess vitamin intake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users