Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

The Tree of Life

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

Before I relate my thoughts in detail, I thought I might post the link for a trailer that I found to be thoroughly enchanting, and which has left me longing for the day of the film's eventual release. I have the feeling that Malick is about to unveil his greatest masterpiece, and because I believe that he is unrivaled as a modern filmmaker, this status will ensure that his latest piece is nothing less than a historic event:

#2 Rational Madman

• Topic Starter
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

The rest of Malick's filmography, in trailers:

#3 Rational Madman

• Topic Starter
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:39 PM

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:05 AM

Thanks for the trailer. The movies looks intense.

#5 Rational Madman

• Topic Starter
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:04 AM

Thanks for the trailer. The movies looks intense.

I think the trailers are somewhat deceptive, because his films have a changeable pace, which irritates some viewers. But for me, to watch a Malick film is to be transported into a dream-like state where the senses are dazzled and the mind is forced into uncomfortable territory. When not working tirelessly on his craft, Malick maintains a reclusive existence in Austin, and coincidentally, I've been entertaining the thought of accepting a job in Austin. Anyway, due to the nature of his life, and his intense following, he has somewhat of a Salinger-like appeal---but has not taken Salinger's extreme measures to guard his privacy---and like the legions of fans that wandered into the insulated wilderness of Cornish, New Hampshire, I imagine a number of fans have made pilgrimages to Austin with the vain hope of meeting him in the flesh. Due to his intense privateness, he has never clearly elucidated the intentions of his films, but recurring themes are the dual nature of mankind, and the question of God's existence---but more broadly, existentialism. But maybe like David Lynch and Jim Jarmusch, the point of his pieces is not to propagate, but to compel an internal dialogue about these topics.

To return to an earlier point, I think Malick's ambiguity adds greatly to his allure, and like Salinger, this is an image that's not deliberately cultivated for reputational purposes. Rather, the underlying impetus probably has several sources, and beyond the aforementioned intention of being intellectually provocative in an unpretentious way, I suspect that there is a selfish desire to create without the intrusive and frustrating burden of fame, and to satiate his yearning for creative pleasure. Since he is reputed to have an unknown quantity of screenplay drafts, his filmmaking might just be secondary to his more commanding preference for writing, and could merely be a means to sustain an existence. Conversely, his mode of genesis may instead constitute a need to validate his work, which he may be a consequence of the invariable self-doubt that arises in artistry, and a sentiment that may predominantly motivate his self-imposed exile. Indeed, after the remarkable beginning of his film career, he inexplicably ceased directing for nearly twenty years, which is an extraordinary absence that may lend weight to this theory. And although I could be mistaken, when I examine Malick's narrative, I can't help but think of the beloved Salinger, a brilliant artist that suffered from a paralyzing amount internal turmoil, and which made the pressures of being a conventional---meaning public---and a typically commercially motivated artist no longer tenable. But it's possible that after 20 years, that he emerged from his personal trials, and decided that his desolate life was without sufficient meaning. Perhaps the vivid struggles of Malick's principal characters, are in fact, a projected representation of his own contests. His filmmaking might represent the triumph of the altruistic side of his nature, and his humble and timid way of urging the disillusioned to not sever themselves from their innate sense of hope.

Edited by Rol82, 05 January 2011 - 08:47 PM.

#6 Rational Madman

• Topic Starter
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:11 AM

A question just occurred to me, which I think might be appropriate to address, since it came up in a conversation a few weeks ago, and at the time, I didn't have a definitive answer: In consideration of Malick's age, which directors are likely to be his heirs?

I know it's somewhat trite to make Top 5 lists, but here are my five candidates (in no order):

1. Todd Field
2. Steve McQueen
3. Andrew Dominik
4. Charlie Kaufman
5. Paul Thomas Anderson

Separately, my Top 5 for 2010:

1. The Social Network
2. I Am Love
3. A Prophet
4. White Material
5. Winter's Bone

#7 Rational Madman

• Topic Starter
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

Since I don't want to start a separate thread, and because these pieces are largely known due to their inclusion in the credits of Malick's The Thin Red Line, I thought I would upload this video featuring a Melanesian children's choir group from Guadalcanal, and other Solomon islands. I have the CD, but sometimes it's easier to listen to the intellectual property violating videos on YouTube. And because I've thoroughly enjoyed the album for years, I thought I would share the joy I receive from listening to it from time to time.

Edited by Rol82, 15 January 2011 - 11:03 PM.

#8 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

I also have a top 5 list of movies for 2010:

1. Tron: Legacy (just saw it yesterday, and the day before yesterday, really amazing visuals and soundtrack)
2. Inception
3. Wall Street 2
4. Red
5. The Town

#9 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

Since I don't want to start a separate thread, and because these pieces are largely known due to their inclusion in the credits of Malick's The Thin Red Line, I thought I would upload this video featuring a Melanesian children's choir group from Guadalcanal, and other Solomon islands. I have the CD, but sometimes it's easier to listen to the intellectual property violating videos on YouTube. And because I've thoroughly enjoyed the album for years, I thought I would share the joy I receive from listening to it from time to time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j924qaMb0d8&feature=more_related

I listen to that CD every now and then, good stuff.

#10 Rational Madman

• Topic Starter
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j924qaMb0d8&feature=more_related

I listen to that CD every now and then, good stuff.

Yeah, I find it to be quite uplifting whenever I'm in a sour mood.

#11 Rational Madman

• Topic Starter
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:45 AM

With my recent re-watching of Capote, and after finally seeing The Road, I think I'd like to add John Hillcoat and Bennett Miller to my list of Malick heirs.

#12 Rational Madman

• Topic Starter
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

We're just thirteen days away from the film's release, but until then, here's the first clip released to the public:

http://insidemovies....lip/#more-36380

#13 Rational Madman

• Topic Starter
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:27 AM

We're just thirteen days away from the film's release, but until then, here's the first clip released to the public:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/05/04/tree-life-brad-pitt-clip/#more-36380

Since the movie is showing only in major cities, I'm tempted to either make the trip, or against my principles, download the first pirated copy that becomes available.

#14 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

Bad principle to begin with.

#15 Rational Madman

• Topic Starter
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:07 PM

Bad principle to begin with.

Well one of the reasons that Malick's filmography is slim is because he's notorious for making films with relatively high production costs, and that yield little financial return. Even with this financial liability, studios still sanction Malick films because they believe that at some point they'll be broadly recognized as masterpieces, like Welles' Citizen Kane. But with the state of the marketplace, there is more of a disincentive to grant an artist like Malick the liberty and blank check that he requires for his films. So I would prefer that the distributors receive as much compensation as possible. Because like it or not, financial reward fuels creation, and without some protections to intellectual property, the pace of human creation will slow to a crawl.

Edited by Rol82, 10 June 2011 - 01:44 AM.

#16 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:28 AM

All hail the corperation....na!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users