Photo
- - - - -

Shampoos may leave you stunned!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:20 PM

click here to read the article and protect your brain!

#2 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:24 PM

List of products containing it is here:

http://householdprod...?tbl=chem&id=92

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jokerace

• 39 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for this info!

#4 hyoomen

• 70 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 05:48 PM

Cheers! Glad I use the shampoos/conditioners from health/whole food stores.

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 08:57 PM

however, the research has now revealed that even a 10-minute exposure at a high concentration was lethal to the nerve cells.

Before I get too worried, I would like to see what concentrations they are talking about. I remember the Saccahrin cancer scare. Someone once told me that the doseages they gave the lab rats was 100,000 times greater than anything available in the market, thus making the eventual negative claims seem not so spectacular.

• Lurker

Posted 07 December 2004 - 01:22 AM

I use two prescribed shampoos and that's it. I'm well aware of the ingredients in both shampoos, and fortunately this substance is not in either product. Mind makes a valid point though, even if it were in there, it's vitally important to know what concentrations we're actually exposed to.

I think neuritic growth is highly sensitive to environmental and chemical changes that occur. The blood-brain barrier exists to prevent damage or disruption of the delicate system that is the human brain, but it's not perfect.

#7 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:09 AM

Reminds me of the dandruff shampoos that contain coal tar (can you say carcinogenic?)

#8 jokerace

• 39 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:55 AM

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate or any of the number of other terms used for the same substance is also carcenogenic. Not to mention that it tends to have negative effects on your skin. I have also heard (not sure where) that there is a fear of it relating to brain damage.

I don't know about the brain damage but it messes my skin up bad. I use only natural products that use other mild surfactants in its place.

#9 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:26 AM

I knew there was a reason I gave up bathing years ago!

Joke's on everyone else! Ha!

#10 chris_h

• 71 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:59 PM

http://story.news.ya...sratsbraincells

The ability of MIT to cause neurotoxicity has been studied," McEwen said. In animals exposed to MIT, there has been no hint of neuro-damage, because MIT affects only the cells it touches and there is no way for it to get into the bloodstream and go to the brain, he said.

"It can't get to your brain cells, period," he emphasized.

#11 jokerace

• 39 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 03:08 PM

I'm not sure if you realized that McEwen works for an industry association - Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association. Their sole purpose for existence is to further the financial success of their member companies. Admitting that a chemical they have been using in their products may cause brain damage is not going to align with this goal.

I can't say that this stuff will cause brain damage but I can say that industry spokespeople are NOT to be believed.

#12 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:36 PM

The same scares have been reported about cosmetic *amide MEA, *amide DEA and any # of other ingredients.

#13 chris_h

• 71 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 10:19 PM

List of products containing it is here:

http://householdprod...?tbl=chem&id=92

This list is useful but incomplete. Does anyone have a list of good shampoos?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 hyoomen

• 70 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 11:34 PM

Wow. Not even the bodycare products we sell at my are MEA or Sodium Lauryl Sulfate free. Perhaps I should rethink this long hair thing and just shave it off.

Regardless of the ability to simply absorb any of these chemicals (and thus induce some possibility of neuronal complications), I do worry somewhat about the excessive residues which are no doubt plaguing our water supplies at this point. Should we fret?

Yet another argument against immortality -- the longer you live, the greater propensity towards illness from environmental factors. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users