• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Psychology BSc and Life Extension Careers?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fraser

• 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:48 PM

I've had a growing interest in things like Life Extension, SENS, Nanotechnology and the sort since midway through my second year of my Psychology degree here in the UK, and am just about to graduate. During college I just chose to do a Psychology degree because I didn't know what I wanted to do, and it was a subject I was good at. The original plan was to work for a couple of years, then do a masters in Business & Management, but I actually want to contribute and make a difference now.

The problem being, I don't think that a background in Psychology (even with the modules in Biology, Research Methods and Statistics) is adequate to go straight into Biology-based Research. Short of doing another Bachelors Degree (pretty tricky especially with the recent increase in fees and the fact it wouldn't be my first course would disqualify me from a student loan), is there really any way around this?

Cheers!
Fraser

#2 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:07 PM

There are any number of further courses that can lead you further into the health arena from a BA:
http://www.bps.org.u...&Search_Type=NC

This leaves the option of becoming a chartered psychologist.

If you want to start earning in research straight away, you'll need to cast your eye for specific positions at jobs.ac.uk.
Consent taking in clinical trials is one approach I'm familiar with, but be careful about dead ends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users