• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

I have my 23andme results, how can I use them?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Amantine

• 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

I've run the genome through Promethease and it's very interesting but I'm still not sure how to apply this new information on my lifestyle. How does a life extentionist use the data?
(BTW if anyone wants to share genome just message me!)

#2 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

I've run the genome through Promethease and it's very interesting but I'm still not sure how to apply this new information on my lifestyle. How does a life extentionist use the data?

It's useful for discovering your phenotype for traits that might limit longevity or decrease your healthspan. For instance, your alleles for apolipoprotein E is a great predictor of cardiovascular mortality and Alzheimer's disease. Of course this must be approximated...

ApoE2 allele = rs429358(T) + rs7412(T)
ApoE3 allele = rs429358(T) + rs7412©
ApoE4 allele = rs429358© + rs7412©

There are lots of traits like this :)

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Amantine

• Topic Starter
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:47 PM

It's useful for discovering your phenotype for traits that might limit longevity or decrease your healthspan. For instance, your alleles for apolipoprotein E is a great predictor of cardiovascular mortality and Alzheimer's disease. Of course this must be approximated...

ApoE2 allele = rs429358(T) + rs7412(T)
ApoE3 allele = rs429358(T) + rs7412©
ApoE4 allele = rs429358© + rs7412©

There are lots of traits like this :)

Thanks but there are so many genes, it's getting confusing! Should I just stick with the info I got from 23andme? Is there any other software that might interpret the results? Bar a couple of deseases, according to 23andme, I'm not really at increased risk of anything preventable.

#4 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:19 PM

To a large extent the results will be pretty much useless. You'll have hundreds of markers weakly associated with better health and longer life, and hundreds of markers weakly associated with worse health and shorter life. For the average person, there is really no way of predicting anything from SNPs right now. One thing that could be slightly useful is the predicted response to medications and drugs, but even that is often just a weak association and is often useless (e.g. I am supposedly a slow caffeine metabolizer but I do not react to coffee like a slow metabolizer at all, and so on).

Edited by viveutvivas, 20 April 2011 - 07:23 PM.

• WellResearched x 1

#5 immortal7

• 22 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:44 PM

hi
you could use your 23andme results to find out which version of the COMT gene you have That is a gene that determines how rapidly catecholamines are metabolized
People with the met met version are about twice as happy as other people
If you have another child you could pick just the embryo that was Met Met to make her entire life twice as wonderful

May your personal genome have the met met version Then all you have to do is choose gametes rather than bother comparing embryos. It could be worth it as all of kids n grandkids n so on would be more likely to be happy with life

Here is a reference from pubmed http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17687265

Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008 Dec;33(13):3030-6. Epub 2007 Aug 8.

The catechol-O-methyl transferase Val158Met polymorphism and experience of reward in the flow of daily life.
Wichers M, Aguilera M, Kenis G, Krabbendam L, Myin-Germeys I, Jacobs N, Peeters F, Derom C, Vlietinck R, Mengelers R, Delespaul P, van Os J.
Source
Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology, South Limburg Mental Health Research and Teaching Network, EURON, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands. m.wichers@sp.unimaas.nl

Abstract
Genetic moderation of experience of reward in response to environmental stimuli is relevant for the study of many psychiatric disorders. Experience of reward, however, is difficult to capture, as it involves small fluctuations in affect in response to small events in the flow of daily life. This study examined a momentary assessment reward phenotype in relation to the catechol-O-methyl transferase (COMT) Val(158)Met polymorphism. A total of 351 participants from a twin study participated in an Experience Sampling Method procedure to collect daily life experiences concerning events, event appraisals, and affect. Reward experience was operationalized, as the effect of event appraisal on positive affect (PA). Associations between COMT Val(158)Met genotype and event appraisal on the one hand and PA on the other were examined using multilevel random regression analysis. Ability to experience reward increased with the number of 'Met' alleles of the subject, and this differential effect of genotype was greater for events that were experienced as more pleasant. The effect size of genotypic moderation was quite large: subjects with the Val/Val genotype generated almost similar amounts of PA from a 'very pleasant event' as Met/Met subjects did from a 'bit pleasant event'. Genetic variation with functional impact on cortical dopamine tone has a strong influence on reward experience in the flow of daily life. Genetic moderation of ecological measures of reward experience is hypothesized to be of major relevance to the development of various behavioral disorders, including depression and addiction.

#6 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:18 AM

If you have another child you could pick just the embryo that was Met Met to make her entire life twice as wonderful

I assume you're Met/Met.
On the other hand people with Val/Val are go-getters. All up to you, really.

#7 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

I read at pubmed that the met met version actually goes with better cognitive abilities Table1 of COMT genotype and cognitive ability: a longitudinal aging study. looks like the met met happy people are about ten iq points cleverer. kind of ranging from 5 points at (digit memorizing) to 20 points (at a measure of executive function or purposive action) Its awesome to know of a gene that makes people happier as well as cleverer at the same time

http://www.sciencedi...88&searchtype=a

If I had 23andme data I wouldd see if there were variations on 5 adenylyl cyclase enzyme genes. When these enzymes are removed the mice live 30 pt longer as well as stay skinny. Having the 23andme people compare their 5 adenylyl cyclase genes could suggest who was going to live a super long time

With human population studies showing that certain variants of 5 adenylyl cyclase cause greater longevity That would be a gene to strongly consider specifying when planning children

Neurosci Lett. 2007 Jun 21;421(1):57-61. Epub 2007 May 21.
COMT genotype and cognitive ability: a longitudinal aging study.
Starr JM, Fox H, Harris SE, Deary IJ, Whalley LJ.
Source
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Royal Victoria Hospital, Craigleith Road, Edinburgh EH4 2DN, UK. jstarr@staffmail.ed.ac.uk
Abstract
Dopaminergic neurotransmission in the pre-frontal cortex (PFC) contributes to individual cognitive differences in animals and humans. Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) influences dopamine concentration in the PFC. Functional variation in the human COMT gene occurs at a single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP)--472G>A--that results in a valine (Val) to methionine (Met) amino acid substitution (Val158Met). The Met/Met form is less active resulting in higher dopamine concentrations and thus may enhance cognitive function. We applied repeated measures mixed general linear modelling over three waves between ages 64 and 68 years to optimise cognitive phenotype characterisation in a cohort of 473 community volunteers who had validated childhood IQ data. After adjusting for childhood IQ, wave of testing and specific test type, COMT Val158Met genotype polymorphism had a significant overall effect on cognition (F(2,935.7)=7.92, p<.001) with adjusted means of all cognitive test scores taken together being: Val/Val 33.0 (95% C.I. 32.2-33.8), Val/Met 34.9 (95% C.I. 34.3-35.5), and Met/Met 34.9 (95% C.I. 34.1-35.8). This study adds to the evidence that the Val/Val polymorphism has a detrimental effect on cognition, extending upwards the age range in which such an effect has been detected.

#8 Chris_T_Malta

• 87 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:04 AM

Hi,

Through 23andme, I learnt that my COMT (rs4680 on Chromosome 22) is AG and that the orientation is PLUS

What does that mean?

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:17 PM

hi
you could use your 23andme results to find out which version of the COMT gene you have That is a gene that determines how rapidly catecholamines are metabolized

Nonsense.

There is a family member who is "met/met" for the COMT V158M SNP as well as homozygous for the COMT H62H SNP and yet she is unhappy, suicidal and with possibly several mental conditions.

Most of my family members had the 23andMe test done and we were not able to use it for anything that is constructive yet.

If anyone has a success story with 23andMe, I'm all ears.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users