• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

NYC Meetings For Immortalists + Transhumanist

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:48 PM

Randolfe, I think that as my parents they should see I am smart enough for not falling for such people (I know, I know they care for me and love me, and they get so much respect and love back due that); but I think I can recognize which are the "bad guys" and which are the "good guys" on my own and will do my own considerations. Without the risk so goes the shot.
If they would take a look at that site, more than just see it, I think you can deduce you guys are exactly who you are saying you are, and harmless, and actually- the exact opposite- peace supporters, clever guys, honest...
Heh their love is being demonstrated also by limititions, damn I should grow up already ;) .
However, I would probably be join the meeting if I lived over there...

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

Edited by infernity, 10 March 2005 - 01:17 PM.

#32 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 11:45 PM

Thanks, malchiah.

I'll keep your generous offer in mind. Randolfe, Duane, Gustavo and many others have been wonderful in allowing me to stay at their homes. Actually, I do lean the seat back and sleep in the car while traveling (4 nights thus far on this trip) partly because it's quicker, but mostly because it saves funds for the film project.

It was great to see silicon animation, malchiah, Lazarus Long, Duane, Don, John, Michael, and others. Such a rare treat to meet with a group of rational life savers.

My camera batteries were dry... I hope others may have the chance to upload a few pics of the event.

#33 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:33 AM

I just noticed that your avatar, part of which is an eye in a triangle floating over a pyramid, was/is the symbol I have used for 33 years as my corporate logo. I've been told it represents monotheism.

I've always loved the symbolism in the pyramid, as well as the eagle opposite it on the dollar bill. Some interesting things about the symbols:

There are 13 levels to the pyramid, representing the 13 colonies. The pyramid itself has four corners at the bottom, but merges at the top. The US was the first nation forged through reason. In this 'coming together through reason' we become 'like God' and that is represented by the Eye. The pyramid also represents a new beginning. Behind it the land is desolate, like a desert, while the front of the pyramid has lush prosperous land, representing the life and opportunities created by this 'New Order for the Ages'. (The part that people tend to miss is the notion that WE create God within ourselves (or reflect his image) when we put our minds together. Very masonic, but also very transhuman, I would say.)

I'm sure most are also familiar with the Eagle, which has a shield with 13 stripes, carries 13 arrows and an olive branch with 13 leaves. The Eagle is facing the direction of the olive branch, which represents peace, but still clutches onto the arrows to represent its willingness to use war when necessary. More interesting is that above the Eagle's head are 13 stars arranged like the star of David. "E Pluribus Unum" or "Out of many, one" carries a double meaning as you have probably guessed. Most assume it refers to the unity of the colonies or the diversity of its people. But this also is a reference to monotheism. I read it as "Out of many [religions/gods], one."

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 randolfe

• Topic Starter
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 06:59 AM

Well, over the years I've probably handled thousands of dollar bills. However, I never was aware of all the details involved in the design of the pyramid, etc. Was this the explanation given by the designer? Or did someone create the concept for an artist to execute? It was certainly done with a certain slight of hand by one very clever person because no committee could agree on all those details.

----------------QUOTE----------------------------
(The part that people tend to miss is the notion that WE create God within ourselves (or reflect his image) when we put our minds together. Very masonic, but also very transhuman, I would say.)
----------------QUOTE-------------------------------

ddhewitt has shown us how to co-opt the "Choose life!" meme from the religious right. Now, you've turned the American dollar bill into a transhumanist symbol. We are really dangerous. We just might figure out a way to change the world after all ;)

#35 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2005 - 08:34 PM

The event was very enjoyable. All of the participants were extremely well informed and articulate. Science, evolution, ethics, politics -- you name it, we talked about it. The turn out also rocked, with more than a dozen people showing up.

It was unfortunate that I couldn't stay a little longer than I did but, as it was, I was nearly 30 minutes late meeting my gf at the port authority (can you say duck and cover? [wis] ) Next time I will try to avoid scheduling other activities on the same night as the meeting since I should know by now that if you put a few of us in a room together we can talk the night away. ;)

We need to have more meeting like this, with as little emphasis as possible on inter-institutional politics. It is crucial that we continue networking with one another and growing the "sense of community".

[In addition, I have some pictures that I will try to post from this event and from Hartford over the next few days].

And for everyone I didn't get a chance to talk to -- don't worry, we shall meet again! [thumb]

One negative comment: maybe we could have a slightly less noisy location next time... although I'm still not sure where that would be...

Edited by DonSpanton, 08 February 2005 - 12:20 AM.

#36 randolfe

• Topic Starter
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:41 AM

Don, you really missed out on a great dinner. We didn't stop gabbing until past midnight!

In any event, just to show how valuable "networking" can be, I'm posting this here, in the "events" forum and the "full member discussion" forum. I think it deserves some serious consideration.

Group: Advisor
John, a WTA member who attended our meeting last Saturday in NYC just sent me information which I consider to be a "perfect" venue in which we could make an impact.

I'm going to just post the information he sent to me. I would propose that we attempt to testify at these hearings on behalf of those whom we represent.

I certainly might pursue that avenue on my own (been there/done that and had my entire testimony in favor of reproductive cloning as the lead on the evening news).

However, I think we should attempt to get other groups (like euthanasia groups) to testify as well. We should seek the "broadest ground" by demanding more research into a cure for the disease of aging.

We could present a focused message on one subject or make broad statements supporting therapeutic cloning, research into aging, the right to choose death as/well/as the right to choose life (through cryonic suspension).

If we act quickly, we should be able to get on the list of those scheduled to testify. If they refuse us, all the better. Then we leaflet and demonstrate (that gets even more publicity). In any event, this is an opportunity for us to raise our issues and enter the "public debate".

New York State Task Force on Life & the Law

20th anniversary symposium

"Bioethics and Public Policy Initiatives: Celebrating the Past and
Building the Future"

March 3, 2005
8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Rockefeller University
Caspary Auditorium
1230 York Avenue at 66th Street, New York City

The New York State Task Force on Life & the Law was first convened in
1985 to develop public policy on ethical issues arising from medical
advances.

Task Force reports have addressed many topics, including withholding and
withdrawing life-sustaining treatment, assisted suicide and euthanasia,
assisted reproductive technologies, and organ and tissue
transplantation.
Task Force recommendations have provided the basis for many New York
laws and regulations, have served as models for legislation in other
states, and have been cited in important federal and state court
decisions.

Keynote Address: "What Bioethics Can Learn from AIDS Relief in
Africa"
Mark Barnes, JD, LLM
Partner, Ropes & Gray

Participants:
* John D. Arras, PhD, Porterfield Professor of Biomedical Ethics,
University of Virginia * Donald P. Berens, Jr., JD, General Counsel,
Department of Health, New York State * Carl H. Coleman, JD, Associate
Professor of Law and Director, Health Law & Policy Program, Seton Hall
University School of Law * Nancy Neveloff Dubler, LLB, Director,
Division of Bioethics, Montefiore Medical Center * Alan Fleischman, MD,
Senior Advisor, The New York Academy of Medicine, and Ethics Advisor,
National Children's Study, National Institutes of Health * Samuel
Gorovitz, PhD, Professor of Philosophy, Syracuse University, and
Dearing-Daly Professor of Bioethics and Humanities, SUNY Upstate Medical
University * Tracy E. Miller, JD, General Counsel, Senior Vice
President, Catholic Health Care System * Tia Powell, MD, Executive
Director, New York State Task Force on Life & the Law

A celebratory luncheon will be held in the
Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Dining Room at 12:30 p.m.

This event is free and open to the public.
RSVP required for lunch by February 24, 2005 (212-268-6714 or
taskfce@health.state.ny.us).

Tia Powell, MD
Executive Director
New York State Task Force on Life & the Law
5 Penn Plaza, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10001
212-268-6709

Yahoo! Groups Links

#37 ddhewitt

• 168 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:31 PM

I will be away on March 3rd but I was thinking that I could host something in New Haven in early April at my place so that it would be equidistant for people from Boston and NYC.

Anyone who is interested please PM me about it.

Duane

#38 dave01

• 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:59 PM

It's unfortunate this thread died in early '05. Any interest getting this restarted?

#39 garlicknots

• Life Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:47 AM

I just saw this due to your bump.

When this happened--I lived less than half a block away. Damn.

I'd be interested in another get together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users