- - - - -

Age related mental decline

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 04:15 AM

My grandfather is 85 years old right now. He doesn't have any real dementia other than good old fashioned old age.

What should I recomend to him to take? He trusts me and would probably take it. I think it's probably best to stay away from vasodilators because I don't want to give him a stroke.

Any ideas?

#2 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 07:00 PM

ALCAR and R-ala.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 07:21 PM

ALCAR and R-ala.

I agree with lynx fully; have your loved one ingest at least two grams of ALCAR split into two 1 gram doses (or three 800 milligram doses) and R-ALA (you really should buy KRALA, it is more stable); R-ALA and ALCAR should be taken on an empty stomach; K-RALA is only 40% R-ALA, so that means you need to take at least three 500 milligram doses to reach the 600 mg a day effective dose of RALA.

So, to simplify; take (at least):

3* 800 mg ALCAR three times daily
3 * 500 mg KRALA three times daily

Take these on an empty stomach; at least twenty minutes before each meal.

For now, and to ensure the safety of your loved one, I would suggest purchasing the ALCAR (or their dose-for-dose equivalents) from AOR. The KRALA is a trademark product from Geronova, a reputable USA supplier of supplements. You can purchase K-RALA in bulk at smi2le.biz or directly from Geronova (click here for the direct link). Geronova charges $600 a kilogram for their KRALA product. Smi2le.biz's prices are more affordable; because he sells in smaller amounts (K-RALA 120 Grams -- $104.99; K-R-ALA 40 Grams -- $39.99).

After I perform testing on Rizzer's ALCAR at Anaheim Labs, I will share the results here. His prices are far better; however, there is no third party verification that smi2le.biz's ALCAR is free from contaminants. I will know this within the next couple of weeks. The lab I am submitting 9 samples takes 5 (working) days to give me the results. So I should have them by the new year, at the latest. What a good way to start the new year! That is, knowing that what you take to effectively extend your lifespan is safe and not going to perhaps SHORTEN your lifespan!

Have a safe holiday.

#4 eternaltraveler

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 09:13 PM

any other substances to help address the mental side of things? His memory could be better.

#5 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 09:47 PM

Elrond,

I was thinking about the same question lately. I posted it at avant and here is the thread and replies from Cosmos:

http://forum.avantla...=41&t=13898&hl=

I think you are making a mistake eliminating vasodilators. Keep in mind there is a spectrum of strength:

ginko < vinpo < others...nicorgoline and picamilion(?)

Ginko has been tested in lots of older people. Plus one of the mechanisms of...cognitive decline is narrowing of the arteries by plaque. So I think working with ginko or vinpo and and starting at lower doses and working up is very likely to be safe (nothing is 100% in life) and addresses the underlying problem more directly.

#6 geigertube

• 76 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:51 AM

My grandfather is 85 years old right now.  He doesn't have any real dementia other than good old fashioned old age.

What should I recomend to him to take?  He trusts me and would probably take it.  I think it's probably best to stay away from vasodilators because I don't want to give him a stroke.

Any ideas?

No ideas, but arent vasodilators supposed to help prevent strokes?

Steven

• Lurker

Posted 20 December 2004 - 01:43 AM

It's a judgement call with vasodilators, I think it would be safe if your grandfather took 20mg of vinpocetine. However the condition of 85 year old men varies greatly, ask your doctor about possible complications if you're particularly worried. I really would like to recommend he see a neurologist, but it would seem unlikely he would prescribe anything particularly useful for him. He or she may say that his mental decline is part of normal aging, and send him packing.

#8 eternaltraveler

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 11:09 PM

cosmos: He has been to see a neurologist, and that was exactly the result.

#9 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 12:29 AM

Elrond were you asking doses of Cosmos or I on the avant thread?

#10 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 01:00 AM

Elrond,

Taking it from the top:

Something in the way of basics e.g.

500 mg ascorbate form vitamin C twice a day
e.g. calcium and/or magnesium ascorbate

a multi e.g. twinlab daily one without iron
AORsupport has listed a better one…in previous thread

Vitamin E with all the tocopherols e.g. AOR, thorne or carotec

Fish oil: minimum 1g combined EPA/DHA

ALCAR and r-ala doses as above (I’m skeptical of bothering with K-r-ala and especially as there is only one main source of it (short of buying from geronova or designer supplements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would start with 5 mg of vinpocetine and e.g. 250 mg CDP choline (or whatever equiv dose is for alpha GPC choline) and work up. Some people are very sensitive to vinpo and while it is not likely it is safer to work up to e.g. 20 mg vinpo and e.g. minim 500 mg or more CDP (or equiv).

I've only recently discovered this, but if she is open to it I would suggest that you/she check out

The Edge Effect: Achieve Total Health and Longevity with the Balanced Brain Advantage
by Eric R. Braverman

Someone on avant used it and had a very positive experience adding a simple supp to their regimen based on it. I receieved a PM from someone who had a friend who saw him. The friend thought he was an egomaniac but benefited tremendously. I just received the book and it pointed out an area (GABA) that I am very weak in and need help. It really provides a good clue as to where to begin i.e. which is the most need e.g. acetyl choline, dopamine, GABA or serotonin.

#11 eternaltraveler

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:12 AM

scottl: both, either.

The substances cosmos recomended in his list seem to be what I was already considering to begin with with the exception of pyritol. Also I think ALCAR and r lipoic acid are a given as well. I'll probably buy in bulk and put it all together in one pill for him to increase the chances he actually takes them all.

Which brings up another question. Are there things that I should not combine into one pill due to chemical reactions they might have? Keep in mind that he is not going to stick to a complicated dosing schedule. Probably the best I could hope for is one in the morning and one in the evening. I know it's better to take some at one time and some at another and to spread out the dosing as much as possible due to absorbtion issues, but at most it is realistic to split it into two doses. Morning and evening.

#12 eternaltraveler

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:14 AM

Edited by eternaltraveler, 04 December 2010 - 12:01 AM.

#13 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:19 AM

I'm thinking about getting the kilo of k rala from geronova directly.  Spliting it between myself, my dad, and my grandfather.

That is a good idea. Their price is $600 per kilo. A kilo is 1000 grams; so if you take 1.5 grams per day that is a 666 day supply for one person or 666/2= 333 day supply for two people. I wanted the manufacturer of Suntheanine NutriScience Innovations, LLC. to sell me a kilogram of their product, and they would NOT sell me a kilogram (because I do not own a business licence)! So I am asking Rizzer to buy one on my behalf.

#14 eternaltraveler

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:23 AM

what about deprenyl?

#15 eternaltraveler

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:25 AM

why not get a business license? If you are planning on buying in kilo quanties of many supplements you take it might be worth it to you.

edit: Also if you buy in kilo quanties and you are so concerned about product purity it may be worth it to you to buy directly from chinese and other manufacturers yourself and have the products assayed yourself.

#16 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:26 AM

what about deprenyl?

In bulk? I get this in liquid form from Biogenesis Laboratories.

#17 eternaltraveler

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:29 AM

i wasn't reffering so much to a supplier of deprenyl as to whether or not I should have my 85 year old grand father take it, and if so at what dosage?

#18 eternaltraveler

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:30 AM

never mind, I see it should be 10 mg a day for his age.

#19 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 05:12 PM

Elrond,

Lifemirage is taking 10 mg weekly (I assume in divided doses) of course he is much younger. Where did you get the 10 mg/day figure?

#20 eternaltraveler

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 08:47 PM

This chart

Age Dosage
45- 1 mg/ day
50- 2 mg/ day
55- 3 mg/ day
60- 4 mg/ day
65- 5 mg/ day
70- 6 mg/ day
75- 8 mg/ day
80- 9 mg/ day
80 over 10mg/ day

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#21 nagaki

• 15 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 02:57 AM

Another good supplement for brain function (and perhaps for your Grandfather) and memory is Huperzine A. I have been taking this in combination with many other supplements and it seems to provide more mental clarity than if I don't take it.
Also, in terms of K-RALA, the caps that GeroNova sells are 100 mg (or 200 mg) of active RLA, which means that there is 250 mg of (40%) K-RALA in a cap.
They also have bulk caps of 200 mg (active RLA) that they will sell you if you buy a certain amount and they do not charge for encapsulation, just for the price of the bulk K-RALA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users