Photo
- - - - -

Generic modafinil versus Modiodal

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 itmustbeclose

• 8 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:56 AM

Can anyone compare generic modafinil (e.g. from Drugs-one.com) to that of brand-name Modiodal? I realize that no difference should exist, although quality may influence efficacy.

#2 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:03 AM

Can anyone compare generic modafinil (e.g. from Drugs-one.com) to that of brand-name Modiodal?  I realize that no difference should exist, although quality may influence efficacy.

The generic modafinil from Drugs-one is just as good as Provigil.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 05:23 AM

have you had this product analysed nootropi?

#4 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:57 PM

No, and I considered it. The drug that is sold at drugs-one is manufactured by Sun Pharma and packaged/marketed by Intas Pharmaceuticals . These are quite large operations, and they have a LOT to lose by selling a contaminated product, and not much to gain by selling a product WITH contaminants. So what I am saying is that these are respectable corporations with a set of corporate principles; among these principles is "maximize profit." Basic ingredients for the SAFE manufacture of pharmaceuticals, when purchased in lots, cost just as much as those ingredients which may in fact be deadly. When the CEO of these respective corporations is deciding the best way to maximize profits, he would (unless he has the intelligence of an ape) see a much higher cost in not implementing cost effective quality control standards, as there is a high likelyhood that one of their competitors or customers could prove that their products were unsafe; and such a proof would undeniably discredit their business.

HOWEVER, it is a wise idea to check the product for metals anyways. Per your suggestion, I am seriously considering doing this; but before doing so, I need to test several other drugs I have been ingesting that come directly from China that have never been tested by a third party lab for metals. As it is MY life at stake, I assure you I am doing my best to ensure my supplements are safe.

#5 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 04:30 AM

At nearly $2 a pill, I think that these pharma guys are most likely to have pure pills.

#6 zg00

• 82 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:21 AM

'corporate principles' there's a pairing of words. In my meandering readings I've come across a trend of opinion regarding generic vs. brand (its a pretty popular subject, really). The trend is: if its manufactured in America (or another 'first world' country with aggressive government standards) they are considered chemically identical, however anything manufactured outside America is generally considered suspect (sometimes considered unexpectedly more potent, more often considered weaker).

Non of that might mean anything, but Intas pharmaceuticals seems to be located in Gujarat, India. But this doesn't seem like the kind of pharmaceutical to be too worried about (come to think of it most of the stuff I've read has been more general musing anyway, largely on the AD/AA boards).

Go for it.

#7 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:58 AM

AD/AA bulletin boards? what boards are these sorry? And what are the links?

#8 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:32 AM

"..However anything (generics) manufactured outside America is generally considered suspect (sometimes considered unexpectedly more potent, more often considered weaker)."

I would think this an accurate statement, particularly in India (remember the things nootropi has recently posted about QC problems in india).

#9 zg00

• 82 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:13 PM

Anti Depressant/Anti Anxiety. Like Dr. Bobs and such.

#10 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:59 AM

And from the avant board:

I ordered 10mg valiums a while back (from drugs-one) and they were NOT 10mg. The sheet said they were but I know what 30mg of valium feels like and when I took theirs I felt almost nothing. Anybody else? Are the xanax the same way?

What someone is doing taking 30 mg of valium at one time is an interesting question (do people really take that much for recreational uses? We use 5-10 mg to sedate people). In any case, while one person's opinion should not be taken as gospel, still one has to wonder abotu the quality of their stuff.

#11 zg00

• 82 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 03:18 AM

There's a chance that high dose is because of long term use and tolerance. Everyone reacts differently to different chemicals.

Edited by zg00, 24 December 2004 - 05:14 AM.

#12 lancelot

• 47 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 07:31 AM

What someone is doing taking 30 mg of valium at one time is an interesting question (do people really take that much for recreational uses?  We use 5-10 mg to sedate people).  In any case, while one person's opinion should not be taken as gospel, still one has to wonder abotu the quality of their stuff.

Why judge people? Sure, i use 5-10mg of valium for recreational purposes, but others take 30-80mg. Who's to say what is right for you? The only interesting Q is whether drugs-one is selling bunk meds. i need to know cuz i'd rather save 2X with drugs1 over jupiter.

#13 zg00

• 82 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 07:26 PM

I think this is going a little OT. Valium, while it might be an excellent drug for the short term treatment of anxiety, is not a nootropic.

I believe scottl was simply using it to add some meat to my observation regarding the various opinions floating around on the internet on the brand vs. generic argument.

www.dr-bob.org might be a much more appropriate site to ask your question, but even there they frown on discussions surrounding drug abuse (although happily, not recovery). So I'd at least reccomend rewording it.

#14 jpars82

• 104 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2004 - 12:19 PM

From my experience I think Nootropi's right on this one for the most part. I've been prescribed Provigil 100mg tabs before and I've also ordered the 200mg tabs from Drugs-One. With the Provigil I usually always took 2 to get a good effect. I would have to say the 200mg modafinil tabs from Drugs-one are atleast very close to equal to the Provigil sold here at the same dose. My only complaint about Modafinil is I always develop a tolerance after a few days to a week. Anyone else had this problem?

But also, like someone said... you have to watch out. I haven't had a problem with drugs-one but I have had problems with another Indian pharmacy sending me generic medication that I know for sure was not like the real thing(not talking about modafinil).

#15 lancelot

• 47 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 06:51 PM

I think this is going a little OT. Valium, while it might be an excellent drug for the short term treatment of anxiety, is not a nootropic.

I believe scottl was simply using it to add some meat to my observation regarding the various opinions floating around on the internet on the brand vs. generic argument.

www.dr-bob.org might be a much more appropriate site to ask your question, but even there they frown on discussions surrounding drug abuse (although happily, not recovery). So I'd at least reccomend rewording it.

The responsible use of recreational drugs legal or not by adults is not drug abuse. Now, is dr bob's site an anti-drug site and pro-meds site cuz that's what it's sounding like?

#16 zg00

• 82 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:10 PM

Lets no split hairs here. If the drug was designed to be used recreationally, then using in such a way would not construe abuse. Personally I don't care one way or the other, so don't take what I'm saying to heart.

Dr. Bob's site isn't exactly anti or pro med, I'd consider it more of a support group. But its an excellent resource for information and discussions on psychology, pharmacology (including very useful discussions on individual reactions to different new/old/etc medications), depression, anxiety, over eating, creative writing, substance use, alternative treatments, religion or politics and just about anything else you can think of. Its an adult board and one of the better moderated boards I've come across.

Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD at University of Chicago Department of Psychiatry.

#17 lancelot

• 47 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:59 PM

I'll check it out then as long as he isn't about pushing meds and judging responsible adults for using recreational drugs.

#18 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:47 PM

... snip ...

When the CEO of these respective corporations is deciding the best way to maximize profits, he would (unless he has the intelligence of an ape) see a much higher cost in not implementing cost effective quality control standards, as there is a high likelyhood that one of their competitors or customers could prove that their products were unsafe; and such a proof would undeniably discredit their business.

... snip...

As with those highly prestigious and most trustworthy drug companies that bring you Vioxx, Celebrex, and Aleve, namely, Merck, Pfizer, and Beyer, that have made billions, before admitting to the adverse effect of their merchandise to your cardiovascular system and stroke probability.

Susma

#19 jpars82

• 104 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2004 - 06:54 AM

Lets no split hairs here. If the drug was designed to be used recreationally, then using in such a way would not construe abuse. Personally I don't care one way or the other, so don't take what I'm saying to heart.

Dr. Bob's site isn't exactly anti or pro med, I'd consider it more of a support group. But its an excellent resource for information and discussions on psychology, pharmacology (including very useful discussions on individual reactions to different new/old/etc medications), depression, anxiety, over eating, creative writing, substance use, alternative treatments, religion or politics and just about anything else you can think of. Its an adult board and one of the better moderated boards I've come across.

Dr. Bob is Robert Hsiung, MD at University of Chicago Department of Psychiatry.

Yes, Psycho-Babble is my favorite website for mental health, etc. It has a lot of information on medications, side effects, interesting and experimental augmentations, pharmacology of meds, etc. In the alternative board nootropics have been brought up a few times.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 zg00

• 82 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 08:26 PM

I know this has been pretty well beat to death now, but I just ran across an article at crazymeds.org regarding brand vs. generic. I don't know the site very well, I spent about 2 seconds looking at it since I'm on my way out the door.

Crazymeds says:

"We've been told since forever that there is no difference between brand and generic drugs.

Guess what?

That is absolute BULLSHIT!

There can be a difference, a big difference for some people.

The law of the land in the US is there can be a plus or minus of 20% of bioavailability of the active ingredient!"

Aside from that colorful quote he does go on to provide lots of links (mainly FDA stuff) which again, I have not looked at yet. But it looks interesting and its on the topic.

http://crazymeds.org/BvsG.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users