Photo

OMG The popularity pill

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

OMG the popularity pill

I realized that whereas some mood risers work literally rising mood neurotransmitters that biochemical changes could be created that cause friendly personality. Cosmopolitan magazine says people have on average just 2 friends, a pharmaceutical that mildly modifies personality to give 3 to 7 friends yet has zero effect on mood is an alternate strategy to curing depression or various mental illnesses.

consensually rewire a persons chemically driven social lives such that they incidentally have happier times. The physiochemistry of the number of preferred friends is strongly associated with the physiochemistry of tween or teen brain thus there actually is a biochemistry of having lots of friends

Its a completely different medical strategy. also the research creates the obvious automatically tends towards solitude pill yet absent mood change.

I have read Researchers that describe the differences between popular n less popular kids say that the popular ones actually just have a kind of friendly impulse persistence, they reintroduce their person repeatedly yet actually have the same rejection rate at playgroups as less popular kids. The try try again effect may be traceable to the genes that go with the variable reinforcement response genetics that are modified with the antismoking gambling reduction medications like zyban as well as Naltrexone mirapex Nalmefene memantine chantix. Thus there are known molecular cores that can be modified or screened to find social impulse persistence.

Along with try try again strategy more research about the actual behaviors that cause popularity or sudden liking creates a popularity pill. Researching on what elicits others to comment first pheremones, big irises (upgrades opinions of another more than a third), possibly floaty or nonfloaty movement style or nearness of standing effects are pharmaceutically addressable. Might go well with a popularity drug. They could block parts of the effects of ethanol to see which components caused the socialization effects. Perhaps tipsy people have greater facial mobility to actual mood content, a physioeffect that could be recreated, or they gaze longer. Note I prefer most drugs like MDMA over alcohol.

Along with the tween or teen friendship brain effects to be pharmacologically duplicated, fMRI of the noticing of another that moves preconsciously to communication would describe the brain areas that if stimulated could cause more social contact. These could be locationally targeted A brain localizing technology I described at halfbakery.com goes with recombination receptor mapping where of the few dozens of neurotransmitter receptors are physically mapped to brain area with antibodies, then finding density of receptor variants, a drug that is basically a neutralform of a neurotransmitter receptor activator is connected to an active molecule at a different receptor thus you activate all the acetylcholine at the places where the serotonin usually is. The neutral part area targets specific brain areas while transporting a different active drug. That permits an fMRI map of brain areas to overlap with a neutransmitter map to bring pharmaceuticals to specific fMRI regions.

Rather weirdly I think a pill that makes people popular without affecting their actual mood would be popular.

Edited by treonsverdery, 08 June 2011 - 10:10 PM.

#2 Alex Libman

• 566 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:32 AM

I've always observed an inverse relationship between intelligence and sociability. Social skills stopped being necessary for acquisition of knowledge with the advent of literacy, and gradually became more of a distraction - a phenomenon that was streamlined by the advent of the Internet. It's the irrational emotions that are best spread through personal proximity, while the intellect is a uniquely individualistic trait - one person cannot think for another. New modes of interaction with collaborators definitely require certain skills (ex. CVS / wiki / forum etiquette), but I think they integrate into the human psyche very differently than relationships in the meat-world (aka "real life").

Any pill that tries to make you more sociable would be a giant leap backward for most people. People do have a Right to take whatever pills they want, but I would strongly consider boycotting / ostracizing people who tweak their brains for recreational sociability, just as I would ostracize people who use recreational drugs to de-objectify ("escape") their perception of reality. And, politically, with governments playing such a large role in influencing people's medical choices with an obvious bias toward govern-ability, widespread use of such a pill could be the sum of all fears...

I uphold a new model of a healthy man, a libertarian ideal - a sedentary, lonely, autodeductive polymath locked away in his lab, armed to the teeth and possibly growing some of his own food, incorruptible through irrational weaknesses of culture, greedy to the point of megalomania but reciprocally respectful of other people's negative Rights, and completely and utterly impossible to govern. :-D
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:04 PM

The assumption that increased sociability is automatically a leap backwards for intelligent people is drastically overgeneralized. You'd need to take into account things like inborn temperament, reactive personality (formed in response to inborn temperament and social/environmental influences), axis I and II history...

Some people, such as myself, benefit greatly from becoming more sociable. Especially if that involves a reduction in depressive and anxious symptoms, which impair cognition.

So, in general, most ways of ameliorating cognitive impairment, including the successful treatment of depression or anxiety, would be a great leap forward not only for the individual's quality of life, but also for intellectual performance.

Edited by jadamgo, 15 June 2011 - 07:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users