- - - - -

Resveratrol Rebound ? when off RES ?

resveratrol

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 RAFA

• 33 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:36 AM

I went off RES 250mg per day i was taking for about 8 month. I had trouble sleeping and it was messing up my sleep patterns. Yes, i know, i took it in the Morning once a day. Not at night. Still it was causing sleeping problems. so i went off of it. and about 2-3 weeks later, i am developing these Joint pains and wrist pain. I had inflammatory condition in my wrist and took RES and it seem to help a great deal. but now i am off it, my wrist pain is coming back. also after working out with weights, my joints are hurting me more than it ever has. While on RES, the joint pain after workout wasn't that bad. and now i am off it, my joint pain after good amount of workout, is worse than ever. Has anyone experienced this ? rebound effect of RES ?

#2 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:09 PM

Sorry this happened to you.

Did you taper down the RES to a lower and lower amount per day or did you abruptly stop taking your 250 mg dose?
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 RAFA

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:37 PM

Sorry this happened to you.

Did you taper down the RES to a lower and lower amount per day or did you abruptly stop taking your 250 mg dose?

I stoped cold turkey. I had no idea it was mandatory to taper off of RES. I took one this AM, because my joints were hurting so much. Already, i feel the joint pain is getting better. Not sure what to do about this. I may not be able to go off RES afterall.
Is this really one of the benefits of RES ?? Relieving tendontitis pain and joint pain ?? i didn't know if this was a benefit. but when i stop taking RES, joint pain is much worse after exercise or workout.
I didn't feel like being on RES forever because it messes with my sleep pattern but now i may not have a choice.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

I stoped cold turkey. I had no idea it was mandatory to taper off of RES. I took one this AM, because my joints were hurting so much. Already, i feel the joint pain is getting better. Not sure what to do about this. I may not be able to go off RES afterall.
Is this really one of the benefits of RES ?? Relieving tendontitis pain and joint pain ?? i didn't know if this was a benefit. but when i stop taking RES, joint pain is much worse after exercise or workout.
I didn't feel like being on RES forever because it messes with my sleep pattern but now i may not have a choice.

Sorry to hear about the joint pain, RAFA. I have never heard anyone say that it was necessary to taper off of resveratrol. Resveratrol suppresses nf-kappa-b, a powerful mediator of inflammation. You might be seeing an effect from this, but my recollection was that it would take a larger dose than 250mg. What is the form and purity of the resveratrol you're using? If it's 50%, then the sleep effects would probably go away or at least get better with a high purity resveratrol. For the time being, you could try lightening up your workout or perhaps using a painkiller like acetaminophen or an NSAID.

#5 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:56 PM

I stoped cold turkey. I had no idea it was mandatory to taper off of RES.

I never said nor inferred that it mandatory to taper off resveratrol. I take 100 mg
of resveratrol daily in the morning and have not had any side effects.

Edited by pycnogenol, 08 September 2011 - 10:58 PM.

#6 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:06 PM

Some people have inferred that Resveratrol is like some kind of controlled substance and its not. Some people get no effect from it whether good or bad. Some people get sides from it and if they are intolerable its use should be minimized or stopped. There is no rebound, this is not a "drug" per se its a supplement, like a vitamin is. If your getting sides from it, stop using it, like any other vitamin, its common sense.

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:35 AM

this is not a "drug" per se its a supplement, like a vitamin is.

I don't agree. It's a chemical that doesn't occur naturally in the body and that we have no known requirement for. It has a variety of pharmacological effects on humans and other life forms. This qualifies it not as a vitamin but as a drug which also fits into the FDA's loose "supplement" category.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#8 RAFA

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:20 AM

Some people have inferred that Resveratrol is like some kind of controlled substance and its not. Some people get no effect from it whether good or bad. Some people get sides from it and if they are intolerable its use should be minimized or stopped. There is no rebound, this is not a "drug" per se its a supplement, like a vitamin is. If your getting sides from it, stop using it, like any other vitamin, its common sense.

Right, i do have some trouble sleeping even though i take it in the Morning. but there is a problem with just stoping it. When i stop this, my joint pain in the wrist comes right back in 1-2 weeks. This RES is definitely helping with my joint pain due to inflammation due to workout and other normal activities. For my wrist pain, i have to take NSAID which is really bad for you if taken long term. this RES really helped me cut back on NSAID. and RES by itself practically makes the pain go away. so I am stuck between rock and the hard place.

#9 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 04:19 PM

Res does affect circadian rhythms by its action on CLK genes. Some additional factors: exposure to sunlight during the day, vitamin D levels. If you do not get sufficient exposure to sunlight in the morning, you could try getting outside in the sun by lunchtime. Or you can try supplementing with Vitamin D3 at least 1000 units. It may be that taking resveratrol at night would be more suitable for your phenotype. If all else fails, low dose melatonin <= 0.5mg might help.
  • like x 1

#10 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

I don't agree. It's a chemical that doesn't occur naturally in the body and that we have no known requirement for. It has a variety of pharmacological effects on humans and other life forms. This qualifies it not as a vitamin but as a drug which also fits into the FDA's loose "supplement" category.

RESVERATROL is a Natural antioxidant that is found in wine, grapes, peanuts ... etc.

#11 RAFA

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:33 PM

RESVERATROL is a Natural antioxidant that is found in wine, grapes, peanuts ... etc.

This is insane. I was having fairly bad Joint pains when i went OFF RES. so i went back on it. Now my Joint pain is all better. This is scary. I don't want to rely on RES forever. We still don't know if RES is safe in Long term taking purposes.

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:22 AM

bixbyte, there are plenty of natural products that are decidedly bad for humans. Bad as in toxic in very small quantities, or extremely carcinogenic. Aflatoxin is a natural product sometimes found in peanuts. That doesn't mean it's good. In fact, it's very very bad. Lots of natural products are drugs. Aspirin is a natural product. So is digitalis and Botox.

Resveratrol is a natural product. It's also a drug. The "G" in GSK doesn't stand for Gaia...

Drugs are not inherently or exclusively evil. they are compounds that we use because of their biological activities. They are variously good or bad depending on circumstance of use, among other things.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#13 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:53 AM

Walnuts are drugs.

http://www.lef.org/f...legal-Drugs.htm

Edited by hamishm00, 11 September 2011 - 07:54 AM.

#14 RAFA

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:56 PM

bixbyte, there are plenty of natural products that are decidedly bad for humans. Bad as in toxic in very small quantities, or extremely carcinogenic. Aflatoxin is a natural product sometimes found in peanuts. That doesn't mean it's good. In fact, it's very very bad. Lots of natural products are drugs. Aspirin is a natural product. So is digitalis and Botox.

Resveratrol is a natural product. It's also a drug. The "G" in GSK doesn't stand for Gaia...

Drugs are not inherently or exclusively evil. they are compounds that we use because of their biological activities. They are variously good or bad depending on circumstance of use, among other things.

I couldn't agree with you more on that. Many drugs approved by FDA comes from naturally occuring substances. Anyway, i would not mind if galaxo and FDA got together and made RES into a prescription medication. Only because then FDA would garanteee safety of RES. I maybe stuck with RES nonetheless. I tried to go off of it and the joint pain in my wrist keeps coming back and it is actually worse than before which really confuses me. but if i go back to taking RES, wrist pain goes away. so this RES is powerful stuff.

We really need more controlled double blind studies looking at RES for pain relief or anti-arthritis/ anti-inflammatory purposes. I have no doubt this works for that purpose but would like to establish safety of RES when taking for this purpose.

#15 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:21 PM

Walnuts are drugs.

I have an idea, why not include some chopped walnuts mixed into those Crap Donalds and Wendy "fake meat" Burgers? :-D
Walnuts are a Drug, that's amazing.

#16 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

Walnuts are drugs.

Sounds pretty silly, doesn't it? The FDA is telling Diamond Foods that they can't claim that their products treat specific disease states, or else they will have to be treated as drugs. Of course they aren't "drugs" as we commonly understand them. This is Bill Faloon, who makes a living selling supplements, going ballistic about a stupidly worded letter telling someone to stop making health claims. Ever notice how often a supplement is advertized as "support" for some organ system or other? Apparently that is a way to hint at what it may (or may not) be good for without making a "health claim".

I don't write the laws... But that's what's going on here.

#17 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:31 PM

Niner,
Do you have inside info or just rumor that Resveratrol will be regulated by FDA and prescribed and for what illness?
Human testing would costs $100s of Millions.
Saint Johns Wort was never made into a script to treat depression due to FDA Human Trial costs.
SJW might be as effective as Prozac.
SJW is a supplement used for depression, anxiety and sleep.
Do not buy Fish Oil supplements similar is sold as the drug Lovaza and regulated by the FDA.
Fish Oil Omega fatty are drugs?

Here is a link for Fish Oil versus FDA Prescrition Lovaza:

http://www.omegavia....za-vs-fish-oil/

Edited by bixbyte, 11 September 2011 - 07:39 PM.

#18 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:41 PM

Do you have inside info or just rumor that Resveratrol will be regulated by FDA and prescribed and for what illness?
Human testing would costs $100s of Millions.
Saint Johns Wort was never made into a script to treat depression due to FDA Human Trial costs.
SJW might be as effective as Prozac.
SJW is a supplement used for depression, anxiety and sleep.
Do not buy Fish Oil supplements similar is sold as the drug Lovaza and regulated by the FDA.
Fish Oil Omega fatty are drugs?

I don't have any inside info, but I am almost certain that ordinary resveratrol will not be regulated by the FDA. It has already been trialed in a number of disease states.

Why should we not buy fish oil? Because Lovaza exists? That doesn't make sense. I use fish oil. I use it as a drug. It's a pretty good one, too. There are also prescription forms of other supplements, like magnesium and vitamin D. That doesn't stop me from buying better versions for less money.

#19 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:24 PM

I don't have any inside info, but I am almost certain that ordinary resveratrol will not be regulated by the FDA. It has already been trialed in a number of disease states.

Why should we not buy fish oil? Because Lovaza exists? That doesn't make sense. I use fish oil. I use it as a drug. It's a pretty good one, too. There are also prescription forms of other supplements, like magnesium and vitamin D. That doesn't stop me from buying better versions for less money.

Do not buy fish oil was my cynicism to Resveratrol becoming regulated and made into a script.
I meant do not buy supplement Fish Oil since you could spend 8 times more money for Prescription Omega Fish oil.
You misunderstood me.
Since, you are too serious.

#20 RAFA

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:39 PM

Resveratrol must become FDA regulated prescription drug. In that way, we can be asured of its safety
  • dislike x 3

#21 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:19 AM

RAFA,

Have you considered that when you took RESV, you ceased having joint pain so you were able to train harder and put your joints under more stress which in turn means when you come off RESV, your joints hurt more. The inflammation still occurs but the pain is suppressed - training harder makes the inflammation worse.

In other words it may just be a function of your training and not any action of RESV.

As for the FDA comment, do you seriously believe that FDA regulated prescription drugs are SAFE??????????? I see NO advantage to RESV being a prescription drug, unless of course I have shares in a company that may benefit from this..........
  • like x 1

#22 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:47 AM

Have you considered that when you took RESV, you ceased having joint pain so you were able to train harder and put your joints under more stress which in turn means when you come off RESV, your joints hurt more. The inflammation still occurs but the pain is suppressed - training harder makes the inflammation worse.

In other words it may just be a function of your training and not any action of RESV.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems very reasonable.

As for the FDA comment, do you seriously believe that FDA regulated prescription drugs are SAFE??????????? I see NO advantage to RESV being a prescription drug, unless of course I have shares in a company that may benefit from this..........

The FDA can't guarantee safety, but when a drug is approved by the FDA, you can be sure that it was trialed in humans, that it has some level of efficacy for the approved indication, and that the data has been looked at by a lot of scientists. They do a decent, but not perfect job at this. Some drugs have low-frequency adverse effects that are pretty bad, like quinolones. These might not show up in trials, but occur later when millions of people are using the drug. The thing that they really do a good job at is ensuring that when you buy an approved drug, you are getting the compound that it is supposed to be, and that it doesn't contain dangerous contaminants. That is a real hole in the supplement world. We are at the mercy of each individual manufacturer where purity is concerned. I'm not arguing for FDA approval of resveratrol, but there would at least be some advantages. I don't think the advantages in that particular case would outweigh the costs, though.

#23 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:37 AM

Resveratrol must become FDA regulated prescription drug. In that way, we can be asured of its safety

What is the Prescription Resveratrol Use?
When I see my MD I ask him if I could have a Script for RES.
My MD says what for?
Res is a supplement for longevity.
Longevity is not a illness.
Script Res for (fill in the blank):________.

#24 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:57 AM

If I was a MD I'd seriously consider prescribing it for diabetes,

#25 RAFA

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:31 PM

RAFA,

You have a good point. I was also wondering if the Acai Berry i am taking from GNC is making the joing pain worse. I am noticiting that when i take Acai berry once a day chew from GNC, my joint pain is worse. do you think it is Acai berry or something else in this chew ??? Is this possible. ? I googled Acai and it does not list joint pain as side effect. ?

#26 RAFA

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:32 PM

What is the Prescription Resveratrol Use?
When I see my MD I ask him if I could have a Script for RES.
My MD says what for?
Res is a supplement for longevity.
Longevity is not a illness.
Script Res for (fill in the blank):_pain caused by inflammatory conditions_______.

#27 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

You have a good point. I was also wondering if the Acai Berry i am taking from GNC is making the joing pain worse. I am noticiting that when i take Acai berry once a day chew from GNC, my joint pain is worse. do you think it is Acai berry or something else in this chew ??? Is this possible. ? I googled Acai and it does not list joint pain as side effect. ?

I know of know reason for anyone to take acai.
Overhyped.

As for resveratrol and side effects: I have been taking resveratrol &/or other sirt1 activators, mostly resveratrol, for five years. I am in better physical condition than many half my age, 99+% of those over 60, My doctor is envious. My age is consistently underestimated by 10 to 20 years. My arthritic symptoms are under control, but slowly return if I stop self-dosing.

Long-term side effects? If rodent studies are to be believed, a healthier more vigorous old age, if not increased life-span. You can risk it, or wait for human studies that may never come, or may be too late for you. That is your choice.

Edited by maxwatt, 12 September 2011 - 02:08 PM.

• like x 2

#28 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

Oh, yeah, great idea buddy! My doctor would absolutely love that.

"Here is your resveratrol prescription. That will be $200 please! You want refills on this?
First you gotta come over to my office for another appointment before I refill it again!
That will be another $200 please! Can't afford my medical services? No refills for you then!"

Edited by pycnogenol, 12 September 2011 - 02:58 PM.

#29 RAFA

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:29 PM

I know of know reason for anyone to take acai.
Overhyped.

As for resveratrol and side effects: I have been taking resveratrol &/or other sirt1 activators, mostly resveratrol, for five years. I am in better physical condition than many half my age, 99+% of those over 60, My doctor is envious. My age is consistently underestimated by 10 to 20 years. My arthritic symptoms are under control, but slowly return if I stop self-dosing.

Long-term side effects? If rodent studies are to be believed, a healthier more vigorous old age, if not increased life-span. You can risk it, or wait for human studies that may never come, or may be too late for you. That is your choice.

I am happy to hear about your wonderful health, it is a tresure. and you also see the benefits of RES on arthritis or relieving arthritic symptoms ? so this is one of the universal benefits. and one other question you may not like is that "How do you know your wonderful health is just your genes" ? How do you know RES done anything for you at all if anything ?

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 RAFA

• Topic Starter
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:30 PM

Oh, yeah, great idea buddy! My doctor would absolutely love that.

"Here is your resveratrol prescription. That will be $200 please! You want refills on this?
First you gotta come over to my office for another appointment before I refill it again!
That will be another $200 please! Can't afford my medical services? No refills for you then!"

I am sure your insurance would cover it and you would only pay Co-pay of $20. and that is cheaper than paying $60 at mailorder.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: resveratrol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users