* * * * * 27 votes

Chemically induced LTP?

ciltep pde4 forskolin ltp

• Please log in to reply
2626 replies to this topic

#1591 MasterHerb

• 173 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

I definitely had some of my strongest experiences from Solaray forskolin. Did you take it on an empty stomach with caffeine? That always seems to make a crucial difference for me.

I don't usually take in caffeine, but I will give it a go. How many mg are you taking?

#1592 norepinephrine

• 219 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

2 shots of espresso, so approximately 150mg.

Edited by norepinephrine, 23 June 2013 - 11:33 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1593 MasterHerb

• 173 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

2 shots of espresso, so approximately 150mg.

I mean of forskolin....

#1594 norepinephrine

• 219 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:24 AM

When I had Solaray, I'd take a single pill.

#1595 MasterHerb

• 173 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

When I had Solaray, I'd take a single pill.

So 3.85 mg lol.....since its a 1% extract

#1596 xsiv1

• 463 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:25 AM

I've never deviated much from the original stack of 450-500mgs of Jarrow's Artichoke extract, 5-10mgs of Forskolin and 350mgs of NALT/or 500mgs of L-Phenylalanine with a coffee. Normally at day 4, I'll begin to get an afternoon slump despite having a light lunch where I'll add another 350mgs of NALT or 200mgs Sulbutiamine or whatever. Not a great idea for me to substitute Zembrin for AE because I'm on a nightly dose of an SSRI. If it's your first time beginning this stack, this is where I'd start and then fine tune it as time goes by assessing your response. It's the cheaper stack, but it's also worked for many people. I've used it Friday, Sat. and today and tomorrow I'll be back on my racetam stack but initially, for the first 90 days or so, I had it switched. CILTEP during the week and something else during the weekends.

#1597 MasterHerb

• 173 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:28 AM

I've never deviated much from the original stack of 450-500mgs of Jarrow's Artichoke extract, 5-10mgs of Forskolin and 350mgs of NALT/or 500mgs of L-Phenylalanine with a coffee. Normally at day 4, I'll begin to get an afternoon slump despite having a light lunch where I'll add another 350mgs of NALT or 200mgs Sulbutiamine or whatever. Not a great idea for me to substitute Zembrin for AE because I'm on a nightly dose of an SSRI. If it's your first time beginning this stack, this is where I'd start and then fine tune it as time goes by assessing your response. It's the cheaper stack, but it's also worked for many people. I've used it Friday, Sat. and today and tomorrow I'll be back on my racetam stack but initially, for the first 90 days or so, I had it switched. CILTEP during the week and something else during the weekends.

Ok tomorrow I will try 11.55mg of forskolin, 450mg of Artichoke, and a caffeine source. Why don't you combine the racetams with this stack?

Edited by MasterHerb, 24 June 2013 - 01:28 AM.

#1598 xsiv1

• 463 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

Ok tomorrow I will try 11.55mg of forskolin, 450mg of Artichoke, and a caffeine source. Why don't you combine the racetams with this stack?

Well, you can. I've just swapped out racetams during my use of CILTEP. I like to vary or cycle all my noots after a good 60-90 days. I'm just saying as a starting point, this may be the thing that works for you most efficiently and as you begin to get accustomed to the stack, you can add various other compounds as you go. Nearing the end of my 90-ish day cycle (always took weekends off though..mostly due to irritability) I'd still use piracetam around 10:30 am and sometimes added Noopept (10mgs) with 750 Aniracetam in the afternoon without any adverse effects. Some have stated Ani doesn't mix well with CILTEP, but I've never had a single issue. Others have tried phenypiracetam with the stack I believe. I've tried the stack without a dopamine precursor and have always had better results with one added but that could vary for individuals.

#1599 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

Zembrin's serotonergic effect has actually faded and become nonexistant for me. Now, it's actually more stimulatory than sedating.
My first experiences (2-3 times) with it was strongly sedative. But now, the effect is the complete opposite, and the PDE-inhibition is just remarkable. It provides some noticeable benefits which Artichoke doesn't: such as increased light sensitivity, more motivation (dopamine?) and better memory enhancement. I also require much less forskolin.

Fun fact:
CILTEP also potentiates Melanogenesis: The process by which skin darkens, due to melanin production, in response to UV-radiation.
I can say, after testing this assumption in the tanning bed, that it's very effective!

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20952536
"Inhibition of PDE4 potentiates forskolin-induced CREB phosphorylation in primary human melanocytes."
"We report the identification of phosphodiesterase 4D3 as a direct target of the MSH/cAMP/MITF pathway."

"PDE4 inhibition synergizes with forskolin to induce sunless tanning in redhead/fair-skinned mice."

Rat picture: (!)
http://postimg.org/image/sjaj49ivn/

http://cancerres.aac...8/1/47.full.pdf
"Activation of the Cyclic AMP Pathway by a-Melanotropin Mediates the Response of Human Melanocytes to Ultraviolet B Radiation"
"Irradiation of human keratinocytes or melanocytes with ultraviolet (UV) rays stimulates the synthesis and releaseof a-melanotropin (a- MSH) and adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTh), which Induce cyclic AMP (cAMP) formation and increase the proliferation and melanogenesis of human melanocytes. We report that stimulation of cAMP formation is obligatory for the melanogenic response of cultured normal human mela nocytes to UVB radiation. "

The pathway is:
UV-radiation -> alpha-MSH & ACTH synthesis and release -> Adenylyl Cyclase production -> cAMP formation (and subsequent breakdown by PDE 4D3) -> CREB- and MITF pathway (Melanogenesis)

I'm probably mistaken on some of the theoretical specifics, but the practical application is very obvious: Forskolin and/or Zembrin/Artichoke (PDE-4 inhibition) accelerates tanning.
For those not really understanding the application of CILTEP in LTP, let this be a very accurate analogy.

Edited by chung_pao, 24 June 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#1600 Sholrak

• 222 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

Zembrin's serotonergic effect has actually faded and become nonexistant for me. Now, it's actually more stimulatory than sedating.
My first experiences (2-3 times) with it was strongly sedative. But now, the effect is the complete opposite, and the PDE-inhibition is just remarkable. It provides some noticeable benefits which Artichoke doesn't: such as increased light sensitivity, more motivation (dopamine?) and better memory enhancement. I also require much less forskolin.

Fun fact:
CILTEP also potentiates Melanogenesis: The process by which skin darkens, due to melanin production, in response to UV-radiation.
I can say, after testing this assumption in the tanning bed, that it's very effective!

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20952536
"Inhibition of PDE4 potentiates forskolin-induced CREB phosphorylation in primary human melanocytes."
"We report the identification of phosphodiesterase 4D3 as a direct target of the MSH/cAMP/MITF pathway."

"PDE4 inhibition synergizes with forskolin to induce sunless tanning in redhead/fair-skinned mice."

Rat picture: (!)
http://postimg.org/image/sjaj49ivn/

http://cancerres.aac...8/1/47.full.pdf
"Activation of the Cyclic AMP Pathway by a-Melanotropin Mediates the Response of Human Melanocytes to Ultraviolet B Radiation"
"Irradiation of human keratinocytes or melanocytes with ultraviolet (UV) rays stimulates the synthesis and releaseof a-melanotropin (a- MSH) and adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTh), which Induce cyclic AMP (cAMP) formation and increase the proliferation and melanogenesis of human melanocytes. We report that stimulation of cAMP formation is obligatory for the melanogenic response of cultured normal human mela nocytes to UVB radiation. "

The pathway is:
UV-radiation -> alpha-MSH & ACTH synthesis and release -> Adenylyl Cyclase production -> cAMP formation (and subsequent breakdown by PDE 4D3) -> CREB- and MITF pathway (Melanogenesis)

I'm probably mistaken on some of the theoretical specifics, but the practical application is very obvious: Forskolin and/or Zembrin/Artichoke (PDE-4 inhibition) accelerates tanning.
For those not really understanding the application of CILTEP in LTP, let this be a very accurate analogy.

That is simply amazing.

After the winters my skin allways looks almost like Iniesta's :)

Serious now, I'm wondering why I didn't look at this thread earlier. The more I read, the more escited I am to try this. And is cheap and safe it seems.

Thx for all the work being done here ;)

Edited by Sholrak, 24 June 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#1601 rikelme

• 174 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

Added NADH (10mg sublingual) & methylcobalamin (1mg sublingual) about two hours later after I took the CILTEP (10mg forskolin + 1000mg Artichoke + 1500mg L-Phenylalanine, NO caffeine). WOW !!! What a difference. I've never felt this sharp in my life! Jokes a side.

It takes me about 7-10 seconds to multiple two random two digits number (bigger than 50), for example: 63 x 76 (usually it takes me about 20secs or so). This is just unbelievable!
I just hope that there are no side effects and that I don't build tolerance. If this proves itself to work 2-3 months down the road, I wouldn't ask for anything else (nootropic wise). I'll try to tweak it a bit to see what is the minimum amount of each substances that still work for me. Tweaking one substance at a time and then re tweak again the whole stack.

Thanks Abelard again for this extraordinary stack !

#1602 norepinephrine

• 219 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:21 AM

Are you talking about multiplication mentally or on paper?

Panax ginseng has some evidence to back it as enhancing mental math speed, as well as increasing cAMP. I've found it very useful for the former.
  • Good Point x 1

#1603 Erstwhile

• 36 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:26 AM

Hi chung_pao, how much forskolin do you take now that Zembrin has reduced the amount required? Also, I'm curious as to whether the Zembrin version ameliorates the tolerance issue for you. If it doesn't, have you found any strategies for dealing with tolerance?

#1604 rikelme

• 174 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

Panax ginseng has some evidence to back it as enhancing mental math speed, as well as increasing cAMP. I've found it very useful for the former.

Mentally, in my head only. I just measured a few multiplications again, and it seems that CILTEP stack is done for the day - I can't go below 17, 18 seconds. I'll do some more testing tomorrow a couple of hours after I take the CILTEPT stack - I'll do a representative sample of ~50 multiplications.

I've never taken Panax Ginseng before. I did take some Gingko, without any noticeable effect.

Edited by rikelme, 25 June 2013 - 01:29 AM.

#1605 DamnedOwl

• 120 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

How many hours did you get out of the stack, Rikelme? And did you experience a crash afterwards?

#1606 rikelme

• 174 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

How many hours did you get out of the stack, Rikelme? And did you experience a crash afterwards?

Well here is how it went today. At around 9.30am I took the basic CILTEP stack and felt mild increase in motivation and focus about 40 minutes after. Nothing spectacular, but noticeable.
Then, around at noon, UPS delivered me the NADH & methylcobalamin which I took immediately. After a about 20-30 minutes (10 minutes after both dissolved completely) I really felt how my head cleared. Very pleasant feeling. I continued my work (software developing) and was very productive and focused. I did a few a mental multiplications and was astounded with the speed I was doing them. The ease of work lasted the whole day, that is till 6pm. At 6:15 I did a mental multiplication test which showed that effects were gone. I experienced no crash at all. I was VERY energetic whole evening - even my wife was complaining how I talk and ask to much questions :) I should say that I don't take any form of caffeine.

Tomorrow, I'll try just NADH & methylcobalamin without the base CILTEP stack, since I'm not sure what is the source of this mental boost - NADH & methylcobalamin alone or those two fellas + CILTEP.
  • like x 1

#1607 DamnedOwl

• 120 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

Yeah, I'd be really interested to know if you can replicate this from the NADH and methylcobalamin alone.

I always found the CILTEP to be great for an hour or two - but not worth the following crash, but maybe this NADH and methylcobalamin could make all the difference. I already take the other form of B-12 (Cyano-cobalamin).

Great that you're getting these positive results though! :-D

#1608 xsiv1

• 463 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, I'd be really interested to know if you can replicate this from the NADH and methylcobalamin alone.

I always found the CILTEP to be great for an hour or two - but not worth the following crash, but maybe this NADH and methylcobalamin could make all the difference. I already take the other form of B-12 (Cyano-cobalamin).

Is that with or without a dopamine precursor & caffeine?

Also, chung_pao, do you take an SSRI? It's likely that I wouldn't get any adverse effects from the use of a small amount of Zembrin 12 hrs after my dose but since AE is working, I haven't felt the need to swap it for the more expensive Zembrin.

Edited by xsiv1, 25 June 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#1609 rikelme

• 174 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Tomorrow, I'll try just NADH & methylcobalamin without the base CILTEP stack, since I'm not sure what is the source of this mental boost - NADH & methylcobalamin alone or those two fellas + CILTEP.

I had only few hours of last night due to external disturbances and feel very groggy. I'll skip the testing today as results won't be representative.

Edited by rikelme, 25 June 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#1610 DamnedOwl

• 120 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

Is that with or without a dopamine precursor & caffeine?

With a Dopamine precursor (whether it be Tyrosine, NALT, L-Phenyalanine or DL-Phenylalanine - I've tried them all with this) and with caffeine (but only low-ish dose caffeine of 100mg).

#1611 MasterHerb

• 173 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

Ok I am done with forskolin took 11mg and my poor heart can't seem to take it.....not to mention the nasty headache. Also, no perceived effects. So for now my only form of ciltep will be Zembrin and Armodafinil on a as need basis.

Edited by MasterHerb, 26 June 2013 - 12:00 AM.

#1612 xsiv1

• 463 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:23 AM

Ok I am done with forskolin took 11mg and my poor heart can't seem to take it.....not to mention the nasty headache. Also, no perceived effects. So for now my only form of ciltep will be Zembrin and Armodafinil on a as need basis.

Never heard of that before. Have you tried to halve the dose down to 5 or 6 or even less as some people are taking 3.5mgs? Many bodybuilders take much larger amounts without that effect but I suppose vasodilation is the cause. Zembrin and Armodafinil huh. How's that working out for you? I considered "trying" Artichoke Extract, Modafinil and 5mgs of Forskolin but I'm not sure how that'd effect me. I usually only need 100mgs of Modafinil to be wide awake and focused on the task at hand at work but use it sporadically and on off days, I'd switch to the traditional CILTEP stack. Is there a reliable source for Armo, or is it through some IOP?

#1613 looongevity

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:48 AM

I take 50 micrograms per day of the acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitor, Huperzine A ; with Huperzine A, I have experienced very positive effects (better recall, and increased concentration).

I have been thinking about starting a CILTEP stack (specifically, Artichoke Extract, Forskolin, and L-Tyrosine). As I understand (from reading this thread and other resources), the Artichoke Extract is for PDE4 inhibition, the Forskolin is for increasing cAMP, and L-Tyrosine is for dopaminergic purposes. Forskolin also has the additional benefit of increasing the activity of, or the level of, Tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), the rate-limiting enzyme in catecholamine synthesis.

However, Forskolin activates AChE promoter and up-regulates its expression (according to post #61 by health_nutty in this thread – that post also supplies a link to an article).

I am concerned that if I take forskolin, it could counteract (or nullify) the very-beneficial-to-me AChE inhibition that Huperzine A is providing.

Thoughts?
  • like x 1

#1614 MasterHerb

• 173 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:56 AM

Never heard of that before. Have you tried to halve the dose down to 5 or 6 or even less as some people are taking 3.5mgs? Many bodybuilders take much larger amounts without that effect but I suppose vasodilation is the cause. Zembrin and Armodafinil huh. How's that working out for you? I considered "trying" Artichoke Extract, Modafinil and 5mgs of Forskolin but I'm not sure how that'd effect me. I usually only need 100mgs of Modafinil to be wide awake and focused on the task at hand at work but use it sporadically and on off days, I'd switch to the traditional CILTEP stack. Is there a reliable source for Armo, or is it through some IOP?

Yes I have tried 1 pill, 2 pills, and most recently 3 pills!!! I did not even feel any effects or crash on even a high dose.

50mg Armodafinil+Zembrin is amazing......no crash and great alertness. I order my Armodafinil for really cheap at desiredmeds.com. Also never take Modafinil/Armodafinil and Forskolin that is a bad combination. Modafinil/Armodafinil and Zembrin/Artichoke both produce ciltep effects though Zembrin is optimal because it eliminates the crash from Armodafinil/Modafinil. All credit to Chung for this idea and of course to Abel.

Edited by MasterHerb, 26 June 2013 - 03:02 AM.

• like x 2

#1615 MasterHerb

• 173 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

Well here is how it went today. At around 9.30am I took the basic CILTEP stack and felt mild increase in motivation and focus about 40 minutes after. Nothing spectacular, but noticeable.
Then, around at noon, UPS delivered me the NADH & methylcobalamin which I took immediately. After a about 20-30 minutes (10 minutes after both dissolved completely) I really felt how my head cleared. Very pleasant feeling. I continued my work (software developing) and was very productive and focused. I did a few a mental multiplications and was astounded with the speed I was doing them. The ease of work lasted the whole day, that is till 6pm. At 6:15 I did a mental multiplication test which showed that effects were gone. I experienced no crash at all. I was VERY energetic whole evening - even my wife was complaining how I talk and ask to much questions :) I should say that I don't take any form of caffeine.

So what were your findings?

#1616 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

Panax ginseng does feel great. My issue with it is the papers indicating that it induces PDE-3 and/or PDE-4. (in rats, though)

Apparently, activated forms of B-vitamins are highly synergistic with this stack!
(referring to NADH, Methylcobalamin, P-5-P)
Anyone mind trying SAMe with it? I haven't got any available.

Right now, I'm experiencing the most incredible nootropic effects ever with the following approach:
*Intermittent fasting, fuelled by ALCAR. I've never been able to manage IF until I started taking alcar during the fast. Now, it's absolutely amazing.
I take ALCAR as needed to fuel fatty acid oxidation and other ATP-producing processes during the fast. Take ALCAR immediately upon waking up.
*Zembrin (1x), Artichoke (1-2x500mg), Forskolin (5-20 mg active extract, sometimes I'm more sensitive to it). Take at waking up.
*Caffeine (I use tea as a source, due to all the synergistic substances present, such as COMT-inhibitors, minerals, b-vitamins, pleasant amino acids. Pure caffeine doesn't give me the same effect).
*Tyrosine (If needed. I try to avoid it, since it can make me kind of manic, and/or irritable). Wait with dosing tyrosine. Add it if you don't feel anything.
*Allosteric modulators, such as Piracetam and Phenylpiracetam.

I've been tweaking the CILTEP approach for a while now, and I can honestly say that the latest addition of Intermittent fasting + ALCAR has multiplied the effect.
Insulin has a strong negative effect on cAMP. And the CILTEP-effect while running on ketones in addition to glucose is just amazing... Indescribable.
I feel that it has given me the potential to learn absolutely anything I want. My focus just never stops. It's almost ridiculous (today I studied for 10 hours... with one break).

If you attempt this approach, please report feedback. To start the IF-approach, you'll need ALCAR. Whenever my blood sugar drops, it just means I need to refill with ALCAR because my metabolism is slowing down. I probably dose 500 mg every 2 hours while fasting, if I'm expending a lot of energy.
The perfect thing about alcar is that, it's just a nutrient! Meaning, no tolerance.

With this approach, I almost feel like I can close this chapter of my life on nootropics and just maintain this protocol. It's perfect!
However, I feel a slowly increasing sense of lethargy in the morning. Nothing serious. It just means I'll need one day off soon.

Edited by chung_pao, 27 June 2013 - 11:41 PM.

• like x 6

#1617 rikelme

• 174 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

Yeah, here are the results from this morning. I missed to take it yesterday, was in a hurry. What I did is as follows:
20 minutes upon waiking, I took NADH (10mg) + methylcobalamin (1mg) and let it get into the body for a 30 mins or so. I did get some energy boost and my head did clear up, but that can be just a due to waking up. I did measure multiplication - average time was ~16 seconds, slightly better than my longtime average baseline results (~19.5 seconds). Then I decided to take the CILTEP and 30 minutes after I retested, and got some improvements: ~15 seconds average over 25 multiplications, just slightly better.
I use my own pc application for multiplication, so the measurements are pretty accurate and representative.

I should say that I use binaural sounds, usually Alpha 12Hz or Beta 19Hz and they really help me focus.

So, it works for me (CILTEP + NADH + methylcobalamin), but not as much as the first time. Could it be that I was deficient in B12 & NADH, so the first time I took them replenished my levels and boosted my brain power ?!

Edited by rikelme, 27 June 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#1618 norepinephrine

• 219 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

^ That's fairly similar to when I had my most success with CILTEP in the past - fasting seems to be the way to go for at least an hour after ingesiton, if not longer. As soon as I eat, I start to slow down.

Interesting about ginseng, though - I've recently been having really good effects with ginseng, ginkgo, ALCAR, caffeine and piractam, finding it to be one of the better stimulating stacks I've tried in that I can rely on it over the next 8 hours while still getting to sleep at night. Next step will be working the above into CILTEP.

Has anyone tried modest doses of kanna and artichoke simultaneously? Best of both worlds, perhaps.

#1619 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:29 AM

I take 50 micrograms per day of the acetylcholinesterase (AChE) inhibitor, Huperzine A ; with Huperzine A, I have experienced very positive effects (better recall, and increased concentration).

I have been thinking about starting a CILTEP stack (specifically, Artichoke Extract, Forskolin, and L-Tyrosine). As I understand (from reading this thread and other resources), the Artichoke Extract is for PDE4 inhibition, the Forskolin is for increasing cAMP, and L-Tyrosine is for dopaminergic purposes. Forskolin also has the additional benefit of increasing the activity of, or the level of, Tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), the rate-limiting enzyme in catecholamine synthesis.

However, Forskolin activates AChE promoter and up-regulates its expression (according to post #61 by health_nutty in this thread – that post also supplies a link to an article).

I am concerned that if I take forskolin, it could counteract (or nullify) the very-beneficial-to-me AChE inhibition that Huperzine A is providing.

Thoughts?

Hmn. IF artichoke is for PDE4 inhibition, then luteolin should work quite well, being a potent inhibitor of PDE4. So too should common mullein, Verbascum thapsus, which has been used as an asthma medication and for lung support.

Heath_nutty is usually well informed, but he may be wrong on Forskolin's action in this case. I'd double check his reference.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#1620 MasterHerb

• 173 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:33 AM

Has anyone tried Modafinil/Armodafinil +Zembrin+P5P+NADH? I am tempted to try this, but I want to make sure of no negative interactions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ciltep, pde4, forskolin, ltp

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By