Live forever or try dying

Sounbites

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

These are suggestions for parts that art team helpers and members can use in creating flyers. Remember, you just have to create 1 thing per month to move to the member catagory, where you will then be entered in that months prize drawing, and be listed in the newsletter as a Team Member.

We can take catch phrases and quips and quotes that might work well for ads for the cause for unlimited lifespans and match them up with pictures and or use them to inspire themes. List any you may think of here.

Try not to be generic though. List the ones youve heard or think of that really strike you or stand out.

Here are some popular examples:

"Life Takes Visa" (Visa)

"An Army of One" (The US Army)

"Friends don't let friends drive drunk" (US Transportation Department)

"Fair and balanced" (FOX News)

"Can you hear me now?" (Verizon Wireless)

"Diamonds are forever" (Crown Jeweler)

"I've got good news. I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to GEICO!" (GEICO)

"What's in your wallet?" (Capital One)

"That was easy." (Staples)

"Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids" (Trix),

"Snap, Crackle, and Pop" (Kellogg's Rice Krispies)

#2 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:02 PM

One of my favorites is, "We need your support like there is no tomorrow."

#3 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:00 AM

How about "We need your support like there is no tomorrow because soon there will be no tommorow"

"Being here just one more day with you, Thats all that matters".

"Are you Death's friend?"

"just remember, it's not over yet, Never!"

"LIFE SPEED AHEAD"

"How long will you life for"?

"Wheres the time?!" or "Wheres my youth gone!?"

"Whatch out for the Reaper, for he is a Creaper!"

"Let's see what happens"

"For what is possible." (or asking it as a question) "For what is possible?"

Edited by cryonicsculture, 07 March 2014 - 07:04 PM.

• like x 2

#4 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:06 PM

Two of the general concepts I like to use are:

"Life is a grand gracious spacious sea of incredible mystery. "

"People who want the big 8 dont want to die."

But it would be nice to combine them into a more concise poignant reason you should act. The organization “fuck death” came close with their name, but lets think if we can lighten up and elaborate that a bit….

How about,

“The tools to fix aging are here, death sucks, enough said, … Longecity world life extension movement”
or
“because life is amazing, imminst”

Some good general conservative things people are saying are,
"For the restoration and maintenance of function."
"For maximum healthy lifespan and healthspan extension."
"Aging research and aging research advocacy."
"For indefinite healthy life extension."

There just is no perfect quotes that I know of yet. It would be something like "We can have indefinite life extension, support this cause" but with more flare and convincing, like, "From monkeys to the tech revolution, human will is a powerful tool, indefinite life extension movement, join today."

Imminst already has "To conquer the blight of involuntary death." and "Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans."

I use quotes like these a lot helping to try to sum things up:

“The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." - Eden Phillpotts
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -Henry Ford
"I am looking for a lot of men who have an infinite capacity to not know what can't be done." -Henry Ford
"Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men." Goethe
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible." Thomas Edward Lawrence

That’s been a main theme in my search for quotes that help get the point across really, theres a ton,

"One hundred percent of the shots you dont take dont go in." - Wayne Gretzky
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt
"The most important thing is this, to be able at any moment to sacrifice what you are for what you may become."
"A belief in hell and the knowledge that every ambition is doomed to frustration at the hands of a skeleton have never prevented the majority of human beings from behaving as though death were no more than an unfounded rumor." - Aldous Huxley
"Innovation occurs for many reasons, including greed, ambition, conviction, happenstance, acts of nature, mistakes, and desperation. But one force above all seems to facilitate the process. The easier it is to communicate, the faster change happens." - James Burke
"Necessity is the mother of invention."
“The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness... Nature expects a full grown man to accept the two black voids, fore and aft, as stolidly as he accepts the extraordinary visions in between. Imagination, the supreme delight of the indefinite and the immature, should be limited. In order to enjoy life we should not enjoy it too much. I rebel against this state of affairs.” -Vladimir Nobokov
"It is fatal to enter any war with out the will to win it." - General Douglas Macarthur one

There are many more, but those are many I can think of right now. Ill try to make some more:

Maybe something like, "Humanity was born and bred to take on the challenge of achieving indefinite lifespans." (then quote a bunch of those)

or maybe

"Indefinite life extension is in our genes, lets get it out of there, of course we can do it."
"Lived life? You haven’t seen anything yet."
"...because life is an amazing opportunity, register to show your support today."

Those arent quite right, but I think continueing to work on them can help us get more.

My motto is probably a little too obscure but it is this kind of thing: “We are like portals in to this existence, these portals are broken, we must fix them.” or, “We are like broken portals in to this existence. We must fix these portals.”

Ill try again:
"We are portals into this grand, gracious, spacious sea, of incredible mystery that we call existence. We have a shot at the big 8 and these portals are broken, so we must fix these portals with a matching urgency or die trying."

This is hard. Im not sure if any of these hit the nail on the head.

#5 robomoon

• 209 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:07 AM

A catchy catch phrase: "Keep yourself fresh at 100!"

#6 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

The one Ive been leaning toward for a while is the slogan we used in the mock billboard that rwac made for the marketing fundraiser: http://imminst.org/f...icatedmarketing

The slogan is, "because life is an amazing opportunity." and as an add on, "Show your support today, register at Imminst.org."

There are many more good ones to be found, maybe even some slogans that are way better. Do you want to help the cause? There are too many people out there that are letting the next guy be the one to help. Dont be that person.

#7 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:46 AM

Then theres also the fitting, "[...]like your life depends on it."

#8 fruser

• Guest, F@H
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

Not wonderful but the best I could come up with is: "Life...something so amazing should ideally be built to last."

Perhaps such a phrase could be used at the end of some sort of ad saying stuff along the lines of how you wouldn't buy a car that was going to breakdown tomorrow or a property that couldn't be restored.

Another thought that could perhaps be used on a poster. I thought of perhaps a business man on the tube looking at his watch or something: "We always complain that time is passing us by too quickly. Ever thought of doing something better than complaining?"

What about an image of a videogame with game over and something saying along the lines of: "when you lose all of YOUR lives, there is no restart option."
  • like x 1

#9 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

These are all ideas to consider thanks. Ill think about it here for a moment too. We can pick and choose from these ideas and or use the concepts as leads, combine them together, get ideas from them, etc....

"You get one shot at existence, take it. Longecity - Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans"

"The planet earth is like a tiny cave in the scheme of the universe. Buy yourself enough time to escape the cave and see what life has to offer."

"Life, providing more interesting things to do than death since more than 250,000 BC."
  • like x 1

#10 fruser

• Guest, F@H
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

A bit dumb-arsed maybe but I thought about something random. A video talking about MPrize along the lines of "a cat has nine short lives and you have just one that is ebbing rapidly away..the cat can do nothing but catch mice. Your life can be saved by these mice via research done by M Prize." Then comes some intelligent discussion. I'm probably raving like a loony now but I know what I'm trying to say. Sometimes I make sense to Brokenportal anyways. :-D

#11 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

Im a think tanker, thats kind of like an oil tanker, but full of think, so I love think tank discussions. The motto that no question or genuine answer is a dumb question or answer is a part of my motto. I dont snipe ideas from the sidelines or constantly look for the weak parts and then emphasize them and expound on them, we reserve that for refining final drafts, and do it tactfully there. The more the better, your safe to let your brain out of the box in the projects and teams section.

Your idea there is an interesting angle to consider. Now that its out here it can get in our minds and we can contemplate it and or potential variations or add ons to it that might work. So thanks, keep them coming when you can.

#12 fruser

• Guest, F@H
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

Nice to know that my mental oddities are appreciated somewhere. :)

What about a dinosaur and something along the lines of "burial and fossilisation is just for dinosaurs. Welcome to a better future."

Another thought I had was perhaps an ad showing young people playing about with wheelchairs and mobility scooters that they have somehow modified to go faster and/or doing some stunts like jumping over stacked walking sticks/ zimmer frames. They would obviously be looking as if they are having a wonderful time and the whole ad could end with perhaps "what fun could you have if you didn't have to grow old?" This could also maybe be used as part of a poster campaign.

#13 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:03 AM

These are all ideas to consider thanks. Ill think about it here for a moment too. We can pick and choose from these ideas and or use the concepts as leads, combine them together, get ideas from them, etc....

"You get one shot at existence, take it. Longecity - Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans"

"The planet earth is like a tiny cave in the scheme of the universe. Buy yourself enough time to escape the cave and see what life has to offer."

"Life, providing more interesting things to do than death since more than 250,000 BC."

All are good but I especially like the first one. Perhaps the phrase "getting a shot" doesn't have as nice an echo as a phrase like "You only get one chance at existing" though. But I think that is a very good slogan to go from. How about setting up a poll asking people what slogans they feel are good to use in the future?

If all goes well, the ageing research will also have huge benefits in the area of societal sustainable development. Preventative health care is one of the most underappreciated things out there, seeing as health care costs will rise starkly and if the population at large will be unhealthier in the future than it is today, human lives will be even more in the hands of economical prioritising. And that is not good.

Perhaps there should be an effort to define the Imminst mission as a subset of preventative healthcare?
  • like x 1

#14 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

All are good but I especially like the first one. Perhaps the phrase "getting a shot" doesn't have as nice an echo as a phrase like "You only get one chance at existing" though. But I think that is a very good slogan to go from. How about setting up a poll asking people what slogans they feel are good to use in the future?

If all goes well, the ageing research will also have huge benefits in the area of societal sustainable development. Preventative health care is one of the most underappreciated things out there, seeing as health care costs will rise starkly and if the population at large will be unhealthier in the future than it is today, human lives will be even more in the hands of economical prioritising. And that is not good.

Perhaps there should be an effort to define the Imminst mission as a subset of preventative healthcare?

Well if you want lets get a good back and forth going about some of these, think about, study other kinds, try to come up with new ones etc. I think that 'getting a shot' gets straight to the point. From what I can see we want to side with something that a person is less likely to forget, something that hits the points with each word. Your version reminds me of something that The Elements of Style might suggest. That stuff is good, but is it good for a slogan? For example, does "Snap, crackle, pop, Rice Crispies." follow that? That book might suggest something like, "Our dried rice kernels sometimes make a snapping or crackling type of sound, and sometimes a pop; these are Rice Crispies."

A poll might be a good idea at some point. What I suggest though is a group of us committed people with ideas in this way get together and get some good ones sorted out first, then consider taking it to a poll.

As for shaping and defining ourselves more in terms of preventative health care, I think that can be a good idea in principle. Other organizations like SENS, Methuselah, CAR, CAA and others have put that principle into practice and from what I can see it seems to be doing alright. However, we cant all work the mainstream circuit if we want to keep our odds increased to the max for getting this done in our lifetimes. Somebody has to be direct about it, be sociologically bold about it, dare to blaze a trail through the forest of big dreams with the gamble that people might follow and that they might not. Thats what leaders in fields do. They do what seems right even when there are indicators that people might not follow. Henry Ford might have just wasted a bunch of money and ended up with vacant warehouses and a few thousand broken down cars around the country if people hadnt followed, and there was good reason to believe that they didnt want to. The NAACP was a mainstream litage and diplomatize your way through the courts style of trying to bring about civil rights that generally opposed Martin Luther King Jr. and the SCLC and others. But it wasnt them that ushered in the future, it was the SCLC types. There are many examples. Indefinite life extension is the goal, its where we are going. Lets reflect this in our slogans.

Im open to most all perspectives on all these points. Please do engage. Its friendly discussion like this that keeps the forum engaged. People dont generally want to team up in topics where everybody is agreeing. They, it seems, want to see different perspectives working their way to solutions, and so do I.

#15 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

"It can be good to kill time. Just don't let time kill you."

Maybe you could do something with people smashing clocks before this phrase.
  • like x 1

#16 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:51 PM

"It can be good to kill time. Just don't let time kill you."

Maybe you could do something with people smashing clocks before this phrase.

That might work. Its good to keep these on hand for people that might want ideas to work into things like this. A lot of people will say they didnt because they werent sure what to try. Then its also good to keep them on hand for a time when we might have the ability to work on stuff like this. We can then jump right into it and sort through ideas with out forgetting about concepts and angles.

Can you or anybody think of something to go with okok's animation here?

View on Vimeo.

I suggested this:

"Longecity, Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans. Longecity is a diverse and bustling workplace, a website, an online forum, an affiliate aggregator, a project sponsor, taking on projects and helping with others. This is where jobs, ideas, projects, discussion and everything related to unlimited lifespans converge, like a City.

Longecity, we are the new longevity. "

#17 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

What about dreaming up some catchy soundbites about radical life extension?

They could become useful if we need catchy phrases for conferences, t-shirts, mugs, etc.

Let's use this topic as a container for idea's.

My starting contribution:

Live forever or die trying
Live forever or try dying

Cheers, B.
  • like x 1

#18 scottknl

• 421 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:51 AM

Death is easy to find, but hard to kill.

#19 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:07 AM

Good idea, Im very interested in seeing this concept expand too. There is a topic about it here: http://www.longecity...h-phrases-here/

Ill move it to outreach here.

#20 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

Merged. And I thought to have a new original idea for a change......

#21 DeadMeat

• 151 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

To rot or not, that’s the question.

An apple a day doesn’t keep death away. Support SENS.

Life as a zombie is overrated.

Complaining about kids on your lawn is hard work. Support anti-aging research.

Rotting away from Alzheimer and whatnot, just isn’t your idea of having fun.

Support healthy life extension, at least it won’t kill you...

Aging kills 30 World Trade Centers a day. (or something like that from Aubrey)
  • like x 1

#22 Arcanyn

• 54 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:19 AM

Our bodies are wearing out. Let's learn to repair them, before they kill us.

#23 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:49 PM

A bit crap but:

"Put down that face cream...keep wrinkles and the signs of aging away permanently."

I came up with the idea of maybe having an image of Death with a woman who is dressed in something denoting extreme sports and a bridal head dress and the following:

"Flirting with death is all well and good but no one wants to marry that bastard!"

Of course you could tone the above down. :p Maybe a woman just in bridal gear with an annoyed look whilst death is next to her could also work.

Edited by Droplet, 09 October 2011 - 06:50 PM.

#24 YOLF

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

How about "We need your support like there is no tomorrow because soon there will be no tommorow"

"Being here just one more day with you, Thats all that matters".

"Are you Death's friend?"

"just remember, it's not over yet, Never!"

"LIFE SPEED AHEAD"

"How long will you life for"?

"Wheres the time?!" or "Wheres my youth gone!?"

"Whatch out for the Reaper, for he is a Creaper!"

"Let's see what happens"

"For what is possible." (or asking it as a question) "For what is possible?"

Hmmm...

LongeCity. Unfriend Death

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users