escs law politics patents stem cells

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:55 PM

European court bans patents based on embryonic stem cells

Final decision could stifle investment in developing therapies.

Ewen Callaway

Procedures that involve human embryonic stem cells cannot be patented, the European Court of Justice declared today.Oliver Brüstle, director of the Institute of Reconstructive Neurobiology at the University of Bonn, Germany, who had a patent on a method for generating neurons from human embryonic stem cells rejected by the court, called the ruling "the worst possible outcome", and "a disaster for Europe". He and other scientists worry that the ruling will cause European companies and scientists to miss out on commercial applications for embryonic-stem-cell research.

Early-stage trials of embryonic-stem-cell therapies for macular degeneration — progressive damage to the retina that causes blindness — are already under way. Scientists believe that embryonic stem cells could also be useful for treating neurodegenerative diseases and diabetes, among other conditions.

"The saddest part is the bad news it brings for young people in the field, because 90% of them went into this to make a difference in biomedicine and to develop therapies. What can we say to them? It will be difficult to persuade them to stay in Europe," says Brüstle.

Broad ban

The court's ruling, which cannot be appealed and applies to all 27 member states of the European Union (EU), bans patents on procedures that involve the destruction of human embryos at any stage. That includes not only procedures in which embryonic-stem-cell lines are created, but also those that use previously derived cell lines.

"I think there's very little room for interpretation," says Clara Sattler de Sousa e Brito, a patent attorney who argued Brüstle's case in front of the 13 judges of the European court's Grand Chamber.

The court's decision does not come as a surprise. In March, advocate general Yves Bot issued a preliminary judgment limiting patents involving embryonic stem cells, on the basis that they "would be contrary to ethics and public policy" (see 'European Court of Justice rejects stem-cell patents').

But in banning patents on procedures that use extant stem-cell lines, the Grand Chamber's ruling goes a step further, says Brüstle. The court ignored statements in favour of such patents from the European Commission and several EU countries, including the United Kingdom, Sweden, Portugal and Ireland.

Unwelcoming climate

Existing European patents involving embryonic stem cells — most of which were issued in the United Kingdom — will not be invalidated immediately, but lawsuits challenging individual patents will use the ruling as guidance. "The patents don't vanish but they're practically unenforceable," says Sattler de Sousa e Brito.

She says the ruling also seems to apply to procedures that do not involve the destruction of embryos because it bans patents that use embryos as "base materials". However, Huw Hallybone, a patent attorney at Carpmaels and Ransford in London, reads the ruling to exempt non-destructive methods. "My own views is that if you can make human embryonic stem cells without destroying the embryo, it would be patentable," he says.

This debate is more than an academic one. Advanced Cell Technology, based in Santa Monica California, is developing embryonic stem cell therapies for macular degeneration and other conditions using cells obtained non-destructively from an early embryo called a blastocyst. Robert Lanza, the company's chief scientific officer, says the ruling won't affect his company, but adds: "I think this is the kiss of death for companies using destructive methods to generate stem cells."

Ian Wilmut, a stem-cell biologist at the MRC Centre for Regenerative Medicine in Edinburgh, UK, says that a lack of patent protection could reduce the willingness of European companies to invest in treatments based on stem cells. He worries that the ruling could foster an unwelcoming climate that would eventually trickle down to limit funding for basic research on embryonic stem cells.

Embryonic stem cells could potentially be replaced in therapies by induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells — adult cells that have been reprogrammed to an embryonic-like state. But the methods used to reprogram cells can damage their DNA, and the iPS cells may not behave in exactly the same way as embryonic stem cells.

"From the point of view of patients, we have to hope that the alternative methods will come along and prove to be equally effective. We don't know that yet, but we have to hope for it," says Wilmut.

Alex Denoon, a solicitor specializing in intellectual-property rights at Lawford Davies Denoon in London, says that the ruling is "unwelcome because it causes uncertainty". But he notes that long-standing uncertainties surrounding European patents of techniques based on embryonic stem cells have meant that scientists and their attorneys are used to coming up with workarounds to protect discoveries.

Global hope

[/center]

In the United States, scientists face few restrictions on patents of embryonic-stem-cell applications. In 2008, the US Patent and Trademark Office upheld three stem-cell patents held by the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation in Madison that had been challenged on the grounds that they were excessively broad and stifled research.

With companies able to protect their patents in the United States and elsewhere, and competitors unable to easily create generic and knock-off embryonic-stem-cell treatments, the impact of the European ruling on investment and therapeutic development should be blunted, says Denoon.

Peter Coffey, a stem-cell biologist at the Institute of Ophthalmology in London, is developing an embryonic-stem-cell treatment for macular degeneration with the global drug company Pfizer. Clinical trials for the therapy could begin next year. The relevant patents involve the positioning of differentiated retinal cells in the eye and not the creation of these cells and would potentially be exempt from the ruling; his team wrote its patent this way to distinguish it from other stem-cell-based applications — they felt that describing the placement of cells rather than the creation of the cells was likely to be more novel. But, he says, "the fact that you're having to develop a workaround is not good; it does not give confidence to an investor".

Source: http://www.nature.co...s.2011.597.html

#2 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

Interesting development. Provided I fully understand the implications, which I doubt at this moment, I have a somewhat dual feeling about this.

The commercial approach for development of therapies seems to be a precondition for investment. Commercial interest must, given current economical models, be protected by patents. No protection, no recovery of invested sums and no earnings. Furthermore, the local EU deviation from current global law outside EU, seems to cause a movement of research activities towards locations where protection is still rooted in law.

I wonder what the European Court of Justice was thinking. Is the EU an island? Do they think it is? They probably didn't even consider practical implications. The article doesn't give information about the reason for banning, but according to what I know this is probably related to principilistic ( :) ) viewpoints about existing properties of life or nature that cannot be patented? In what ivory tower does this court reside? Can any therapy be considered "invented" or "owned" given the fact that all inventions are just discoveries of existing properties of nature? So why is stem cell research different from other types of research? The ethical issues surrounding stem cell research are briefly mentioned in the source article, but my question is if these issues are of any concern in the patent phase of research. If the research itself is illegitimate (which I in general don't think it is), then that should have been dealt with elsewhere. The research has been approved, end of story regarding that issue.
But maybe I'm just ranting now while the motives might be different to what I currently know or suspect.

But there is also a different side to the issue. The commercial model for therapy development also has some unwanted side effects. While it is needed to protect high levels of investment that sometimes are required to get progress, it causes that cheap existing therapies, that cannot be patented and hence cannot provide relevant profits, are ignored by the pharmaceutical industry.

So, I think patenting research for commercial reasons is a two sided coin. It aids in the development of new expensive therapies, but it blocks the application of cheap therapies that are more or less in the public domain. This last consequence is also very bad for medical development as a whole since it increases everyday cost of medical treatment.

Maybe this development in patent law will ultimately become an incentive to rethink the economical models behind therapy development. Already complexity of research alone will probably require different forms of cooperation between industry partners / competitors, so that this new interpretation of patent law, that decreases possibilities for competition, will introduce an extra emphasis on the notion that creating large partnerships and maybe ultimately a public domain approach will be the way to go.

Edited by Brainbox, 22 October 2011 - 05:21 PM.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 s123

• Topic Starter
  • Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:26 PM

http://www.facebook....209378775797013

http://www.change.or...em-cell-patents

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:26 AM

If you are concerned with legal issues surrounding stem cell development in the EU, the second link in the above post provides a good way to express this concern.

You also might want to click here.

Edited by Brainbox, 25 October 2011 - 08:28 AM.

#5 corb

• 507 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

:sad: Can't say I's surprised. Can't say I'm happy either.
They'll either have to find loopholes or concentrate on iPSC research - one step forward two steps back.

#6 Pour_la_Science

• 128 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

Europe is collapsing, killed by its army of bureaucrats, courts which represent no-one.
How can this court of justice decide about ethics, a subject which concern views, opinions of people when these judges are not chosen by the people?
Soon, we will assist to the explosion of this Europe, an artificial association, an union invented to decide instead of the people. And Greece will be only the beginning.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

Through the years I have become less enamored with patents. The original logic of granting a long term monopoly over a particular product does not hold as much water in today's increasingly connected world. There just is not much that is novel as in the past. A single inventor working in isolation rarely comes up with a revolutionary and patentable product. Most products are the result of years of research and collaboration by many individuals and corporations/organizations.

I am not sure I fully understand the ethical issues surrounding ESC use in Europe, but from a practical perspective, I am unsure that patents should be the route to progress and profits in the "life" sciences. There is something wrong with issuing patents on things that evolution "invented".

That being said, it does seem like a small blow to ESC research in Europe considering current world patent law.

#8 s123

• Topic Starter
  • Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

Patents are vital for pharma companies because of the high cost of R&D, typically 1 billion USD per drug. The time of a patent is limited to 20 years and often several years have passed before the invention hits the market.

It's not mimicking nature, I wish we could... For example one very crude way to make desired cell types from stem cells is to transfect the cells with a gene that encodes a fluorescent protein under the control of a tissue specific promotor. Then the stem cells are left to differentiate in all kinds of cell types. Finally a fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS) device is used to sort out the desired cell type that expresses the fluorescent protein. Our body, on the other hand, does not use fluorescent proteins and lasers, lol. This to illustrate that we cannot copy nature yet, we wish we could...

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:07 AM

This is a rather disturbing turn of events. It sounds like the court is using patent law to take an ethical stand regarding the destruction of human embryos. Maybe the article should be titled "Europe Shoots Self in Foot". It's not good for the development of stem cell therapies, not good for European business and science, and it's not good for life extensionists/immortalists. Patents are a two edged sword. They provide the IP framework needed for investment in new therapies. On the other hand, they can tie up research in a field such that no one works on certain problems. Our patent systems could use a re-think. We need some new funding models for medicine. The free market works well for certain problems, and poorly for others. Direct funding by disease-specific nonprofits is a new model that is coming to the fore, and looks very interesting. Another possibility would be to redirect some of the public funding that currently goes into basic research, and aim it at more applied research with the intention of producing therapies that benefit society, and possibly a little profit along with it.

#10 s123

• Topic Starter
  • Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:51 PM

http://www.change.or...em-cell-patents

198 signatures already, please sign and show your support for scientific research

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: escs, law, politics, patents, stem cells

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users