Photo
- - - - -

alcohol <> noops

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:51 AM

I have posted my stack and the question for some future additions in a different post. But i have a question concerning alcohol and ALCAR/Huperzine/Vinpocetine/DMAE.

Currently i'm taking +- 2400 MG of alcar during the day supported with some huperzine/vinpocetine and DMAE ( also phenylalanine , tyrosine , gingko and Q10 ) , i'm not taking any choline source like ALPHA-GPC or others.
I took about 800 MG of ALCAR saturday before going out. That night i had a mental crash like i never had before.It came all of the sudden and is starting to leave me now, about 24 hours later ) . Could this be a choline depletion ? Or is lack of sleep a more plausible cause ?

#2 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 04:46 PM

Vasodilators, I believe, are a bad idea to take before drinking. However, picamilion and pyritinol "could help prevent and restore neuological function lost because of chronic ethanol intake". Personally, when I partake of alcoholic beverages, I suspend my nootropic stack because I find alcohol's effects are magnified under their influence.

To prevent hangovers take a range of antioxidants and also silymarin would'nt be a bad idea for the liver either. Also, of course, drink plenty of water.

:)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 04:55 PM

To answer your question more directly... acetyl-l-carnitine has an effect of donating it's acetyl component to the generation of acetyl choline. Plus the huper prevents the breakdown of endogenous acetylcholine. I don't see any racetams in your stack (racetams are known for depleting choline). So I don't think a crash in choline levels is the cause of your mental crash. Based on the information you gave me the vnpocetine looks to be more of a co-factor (vinpocetine increases blood flow to the brain).

#4 drmz

• Topic Starter
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:00 PM

A friend of mine on the same stack had the same problem yesterday. Total blackout with a mental crash. So it must be because of something in the stack. Anyways, i'm not going to drink any alcohol in the weekends anymore during my noop supplementation. At least not for 3 months.

Just strange that it happened to us both

#5 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:05 PM

What is alcar and noop and these kinds of things? I never got to far into longevity vitamins, I guess Im hoping more for a direct cure, though I really should. What does this stuff do? How do you know its good, has no side effects, doesnt make things worse etc...? What are some results youve seen with this kind of stuff. Such as knowing any 60 year old people who look 40 etc...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:05 AM

ALCAR and alcohol...i'll have a 'Sidecar' with my ALCAR....nfw..! I find that this mix, especially if with other noops, can make me capable of drinking 20% more than I ususally do, and still stay relatively twice as coherent as everyone else. But....next day I'm out for at least 12 hours sleeping. Even with extra water during and after drinking... maybe it's just me, but these noops sure can get sticky and drying on the skin...same thing internally? Maybe they inhibits hydration, seeing that you should take a good amount of water to keep these noops moving throughout the body the alcohol obviously impedes cell hydration.

My advice: take extra fish oils before drinking...2-4 caps with some food. I drink so seldom now, though...;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users