- - - - -

Celastrus Paniculatus, experiences?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:31 AM

Nootropic activity of Celastrus paniculatus seed. 2010 Mar;48(3):324-7

The effect of Celastrus paniculatus Willd. (Celastraceae) seed aqueous extract on learning and memory was studied using elevated plus maze and passive avoidance test (sodium nitrite induced amnesia rodent model). The aqueous seed extract was administered orally in two different doses to rats (350 and 1050 mg/kg) and to mice (500 and 1500 mg/kg). The results were compared to piracetam (100 mg/kg, p.o.) used as a standard drug. Chemical hypoxia was induced by subcutaneous administration of sodium nitrite (35 mg/kg), immediately after acquisition training. In elevated plus maze and sodium nitrite-induced amnesia model, Celastrus paniculatus extract has showed statistically significant improvement in memory process when compared to control. The estimation of acetylcholinesterase enzyme in rat brain supports the plus maze and passive avoidance test by reducing acetylcholinesterase activity which helps in memory performance. The study reveals that the aqueous extract of Celastrus paniculatus seed has dose-dependent cholinergic activity, thereby improving memory performance. The mechanism by which Celastrus paniculatus enhances cognition may be due to increased acetylcholine level in rat brain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20645820

Looks nice. Note that the control was administered Piracetam. Any experiences with it? Might be a good Piracetam substitute.

Edited by redan, 18 January 2012 - 06:32 AM.

• like x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#2 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:16 AM

Nootropic activity of Celastrus paniculatus seed. 2010 Mar;48(3):324-7

The effect of Celastrus paniculatus Willd. (Celastraceae) seed aqueous extract on learning and memory was studied using elevated plus maze and passive avoidance test (sodium nitrite induced amnesia rodent model). The aqueous seed extract was administered orally in two different doses to rats (350 and 1050 mg/kg) and to mice (500 and 1500 mg/kg). The results were compared to piracetam (100 mg/kg, p.o.) used as a standard drug. Chemical hypoxia was induced by subcutaneous administration of sodium nitrite (35 mg/kg), immediately after acquisition training. In elevated plus maze and sodium nitrite-induced amnesia model, Celastrus paniculatus extract has showed statistically significant improvement in memory process when compared to control. The estimation of acetylcholinesterase enzyme in rat brain supports the plus maze and passive avoidance test by reducing acetylcholinesterase activity which helps in memory performance. The study reveals that the aqueous extract of Celastrus paniculatus seed has dose-dependent cholinergic activity, thereby improving memory performance. The mechanism by which Celastrus paniculatus enhances cognition may be due to increased acetylcholine level in rat brain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20645820

Looks nice. Note that the control was administered Piracetam. Any experiences with it? Might be a good Piracetam substitute.

Nice find, looks promising I haven't seen this in any supplements yet, have you?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 LeonardElijah

• 78 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Interesting you posted this yesterday. I was going through an Ayruveda website for new foods to eat and came across it. Celastrus Natural Memory Enhancer | | Celastrus Natural Memory Enhancer Never tried it. It looks as interesting as Bacopa. Not sure if they stack celastrus and bacopa together in India or not.

#4 LeonardElijah

• 78 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

edit: double post

Edited by LeonardElijah, 19 January 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#5 MrSpud

• 268 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:12 AM

Omchiherbs.com sells it. Cognition soft gels. I bought some a few years back. It's ok, not super great tho

#6 Reformed-Redan

• Topic Starter
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:52 AM

Omchiherbs.com sells it. Cognition soft gels. I bought some a few years back. It's ok, not super great tho

What's super-great? For me it feels somewhat like Oxiracetam with a longer half life. Not motivating; but, you feel it.

Edited by redan, 20 January 2012 - 06:53 AM.

#7 Reformed-Redan

• Topic Starter
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

Too early to tell; but, one thing I noticed is better dream recall. Dunno if that helps. Will see in a week...
http://www.sciencedi...378874104001254

#8 Reformed-Redan

• Topic Starter
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:37 AM

Been looking around some threads on Huperzine A. The mechanism of action of celastrus doesn;t look that much different from Huperzine A. Both limit AChE.

Any dangers of prolonged use of AChE inhibitors?

Edited by redan, 27 January 2012 - 05:38 AM.

#9 RAFT LIFE

• 17 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

I recently started eating these magical little brain beans (Celastrus paniculatus seeds), they taste like S#!T. Personally the effect I experience is a relaxed state of clarity, undeniable increase in verbal communication abilities. I am able to focus on whatever I choose and my many thoughts on many things are replaced with many thoughts on whats at hand. I have used every racetam commercially available, none have yielded a result equivalent to these intellect beans. My daily protocol is 15-20 seeds which I grind up by chewing with front teeth. After enduring about five minutes of seed to oral mucosa exposure I wash the pulp down with a drink. The onset of effects seem to begin nearly immediately with a shift in mood towards the positive. Absolutely one of my new favorite noots.

Edited by RAFT LIFE, 16 February 2014 - 07:06 PM.

• Cheerful x 1

#10 Aka Poe

• 26 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:19 PM

Sorry to dig up an old thread.  I have used Celastrus paniculatus over the years. At first we could only purchase the awful tasting oil and swallowed it with droppers, until the owner of Om-Chi herbs decided to encapsulate it in small caps like Vitamin D comes in, marketing it as Cognitol.  I find it is effective at sharpening the mind, diminishes an alcohol hangover if taken the following morning after drinking, provides a mental energy to keep working on hard mental tasks.  It is somewhat stimulating in my case, coupled with a slight increase in positive mood and helps keep me going at work.  http://www.omchiherb...as/cognitol.htm

There are other Celastrus species such as P. orbicularis in the Far East, and also a North American variety which may deserve further study.  Seeds from P. orbicularis that I collected, crushed and swallowed did not have similar effects as Om-Chi's Cognitol, so I did not pursue it further.  Yes, kids do crazy things ;)

I recall about 20 years ago, we first came across Celastus paniculatus when some fellow ethnobotanists were trying to obtain obscure Indian Ayrvedic cognitive enhancers, which at the time were relatively unknown in the west. These plants were primarily utilized traditonally in India  for dementia.  We came up with Schizandra berries, Turmeric, Gotu Kola, Ashwaganda, Bacopa, Androphagus and Celastrus paniculata as well as the seeds from three plants from the morning glory family;  Convolvulus microphylus, Convolvulus pluricaulis and Evolvulus alsinoides.   We obtained each of these, John Winslow of Om-Chi made extracts of them and we tested them on ourselves.  John Winslow  has been a leader of bringing forth lesser known plants from around the world and marketed some of them on his small family herb company in Oregon. 

At the time we had little understanding of each plant's effects other than their known traditional usage for dementia, and I personally was seeking natural mental and physical energy enhancers so was disappointed that Bacopa was so sedative, made me feel sluggish, as did to a  lesser degrees the morning glory plants, so gave up on them.   I did stick with Schizandra (Schisandra),  Ashwaganda and as mentioned, Celastrus once Om-Chi encapulated the foul tasting seed extract.  I did not think to take the sedative Bacopa nor Morning Glory seeds extracts  in the late evening  for long term which might be the best protocol to avoid tiredness. 

I think the Ayurvedic Indian morning glory plants may be helpful for people who seek a sedative in the evening to help with sleep and it may meanwhile help with long term cognitive function.  Please note that none of these morning glory plants are hallucinogenic like some other varieties. It is possible they may have similar benefits as cognitive enhancers in a manner similar to other ergot derived medicines such as hydergine and bromocryptine and nicergoline. Seems further  study is warranted.  

A nice summary of some potential cognitive enhancing Ayurvedic herbs  http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3506936/

Twice edited for spelling errors, I need cognitive help ;)

Edited by Aka Poe, 17 April 2015 - 07:43 PM.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#11 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:40 PM

I had a paste of those paniculatus seeds and the taste was awful:  bitter with a sweet component ...

it didnt help me personally that much, I have to say that Cholinergics dont give me any enhancement in terms of intelligence or something like that.

It might be that I just dont notice any improvements.

All in one: Actually dissapionted but I do respond more to monoamine- or glutamergic stuff.

Edited by Flex, 17 April 2015 - 10:43 PM.

#12 mait

• 256 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 02:40 PM

Similar experiences to Flex from my side. Made me sleepy as hell if taken at morning. Made me wake up after 3-4 hours of sleep if taken before bed. Only worked really really well if 2-3 hours of napping was possible after dosing after which superb clarity for hours was present. I have noticed similar "take substance, nap, get good effects" pattern with other cholinergic drugs such as Huperzine A, Shankhpushpi also. It may be theoretically interesting, but practically it is hindrance.

#13 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:13 PM

Its nevertheless interresting. I didnt even know that this works.

I´m in the evening usually exhausted from Huperzine, when taken in the morning

but I´m also not able to sleep untill I become exhausted, so this could be problematic to reach it.

Btw: when I dont sleep the whole night and go to work, then is for me Huperzine one of  the best supp for it.

#14 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:05 PM

how does huperzine benefit you? so would you suggest it as some type of replacement for caffeine based bevarages in the mornings?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 gintrux

• Registrant
  • 91 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:12 AM

It feels mentally warming seeing that someone also stumbled upon something this obscure and hidden 8 years ago on this forum. I just found this substance an ayurvedic herb book.

Pharmacological action- Oil is rubefacient; seeds are alterative, stimulant, and nervine tonic. Seeds and oil stimulate intellect and sharpen memory. 1 • 3 The seed oil produced sedation and anticonvulsant activity in rats and produced a gradual fall in blood pressure in cats. 260 Aerial parts of the plant indicated antiviral activity against Ranikhet disease virus. 11 An active fraction isolated from the oil by the countercurrent distribution method had a tranquilizing effect on rats, mice, monkeys, and cats.Z61 Medicinal properties and uses - Decoction of the seeds with or without the addition of some aromatics is recommended in rheumatism, gout, paralysis, and leprosy. Oil with benzoin, cloves, nutmeg, and mace is a sovereign remedy in beriberi and a powerful stimulant in doses of 10 to 15 minim. The leaves are emmenagogue, and the leaf sap is used as an antidote for opium poisoning. The bark is abortifacient, and the seeds are bitter, laxative, emetic, and tonic. Doses - Oil - 1 to 2 ml; powder -1 to 3 gr; decoction - 28 to 56 ml. 

Could anyone share more experiences?

Edited by gintrux, 28 July 2020 - 10:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users