- - - - -

Medium Chain Triglycerides

mct athletic performance

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'm contemplating the incorporation of MCTs (0.5 -2.0 TBS) into my pre-workout mini-meal. Questions:
Anyone with experience and MCTs for workout or athletic enhancement?
Brand recommendations?
Dosage recommendations?
What is the impact on blood lipids (TC, HDL, LDL, triglycerides, particle size)?
Other pertinent points?

#2 mpe

• Guest, F@H
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

I just use virgin coconut oil, its cheap, readily available, easily stored, has a long shelf life and oh yes it works.
  • like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

I just use virgin coconut oil, its cheap, readily available, easily stored, has a long shelf life and oh yes it works.

I was thinking more in terms of a liquid supplement like this http://www.swansonvi.../ItemDetail?n=0
How much coconut oil do you consume pre-workout? And, how far in advance of training?
Do you have any blood work (or studies) indicating the impact of MCTs blood lipids?

#4 mpe

• Guest, F@H
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

One tablespoon twice a day, one with breakfast, the other with dinner.
I'm not in training, but friends of mine who are, tell me that taking it about 30 minutes before a workout has the best effect.
For what it's worth, both my wife and I walk everyday for health and fat loss. We plateaued, then following our friends advice started on coconut oil twice daily.
The plateau was broken and the fat loss resumed, I have lost 5kg in 5 weeks since starting the coconut oil, my wife about 4kg in 5 weeks.
We have not changed any other aspect of our diet or the distance or time spent walking.

#5 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

I'm not in training, but friends of mine who are, tell me that taking it about 30 minutes before a workout has the best effect.
For what it's worth, both my wife and I walk everyday for health and fat loss. We plateaued, then following our friends advice started on coconut oil twice daily.
The plateau was broken and the fat loss resumed, I have lost 5kg in 5 weeks since starting the coconut oil, my wife about 4kg in 5 weeks.
We have not changed any other aspect of our diet or the distance or time spent walking.

Congratulations on the resumed weight loss.
That's rather impressive (remarkable?) that you've dropped ~11 pounds in five weeks while increasing your daily caloric consumption by ~260 calories (with the addition of two TBS coconut oil). With no other changes in diet, exercise duration, intensity or frequency, this implies the coconut oil (MCTs) have an absolute weight (fat) loss mechanism.

#6 idquest

• 56 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Have you checked your lipid panel before and after the coconut oil? I'm just curious. Many people report on visible benefits of the coconut oil but I haven't seen any reports on the lipid panel before and after.

#7 mpe

• Guest, F@H
  • 275 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

No sorry, I have had no reason to have my lipids done and yes 5 kg in 5 weeks. But as I have previously said I walk every day usually 1 to 2 hours per day, at least 5k's per day. When walking it is usually in in one hour stints for convenience not as an exercise limit per se.

Edited by mpe, 16 April 2012 - 11:51 PM.

#8 Reincarnation

• 45 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:33 AM

Coconut oil tastes disgusting to me. How do you make it taste good?

#9 mpe

• Guest, F@H
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

I don't mind the taste myself, although usually I'm having it with other foods or beverages at the time so the taste of the coconut oil is not really an issue.

#10 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

Depends a lot on the coconut oil, too. I find deodorized one to be quite unbearable but Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (especially the one sold by Jarrow) is quite acceptable even just from a spoon

#11 APBT

• Topic Starter
  • 906 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

I purchased the NOW product I linked in post #3. Using 0.5 TBS pre-workout has resulted in a small, but noticeable, increase in available energy during the workout.
I'm still curious as to the impact on blood lipids (TC, HDL, LDL, TRIG, particle size). No one with blood work or studies?

#12 Intropersona

• 64 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:08 AM

Coconut oil tastes disgusting to me. How do you make it taste good?

I heat it up in the microwave, dissolve cocoa and carob poweder, add stevia or sugar and also trail mix or just crushed nuts and coconut. Set it in the fridge and u have joy snacks.

#13 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:46 AM

I'm still curious as to the impact on blood lipids (TC, HDL, LDL, TRIG, particle size). No one with blood work or studies?

I posted charts of my lipoproteins in this post: https://www.longecit...ndpost&p=873981

Beside 2 daily organic eggs I also added coconut and mct oils to my diet. Approx. 6 g/d mct per day for 10 years. However, I hope you have before and soon after numbers yourself. Because everyone might experience a different response to different fats.

Edited by pamojja, 20 May 2019 - 08:47 AM.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 brosci

• 269 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

Imo, if you're doing MCT you want pure C8. I'm not a big fan of the stuff, but it does offer a unique boost. From what I understand, it impacts lipids similar to other saturated fats. Consider it like drinking butter.

Edited by brosci, 20 May 2019 - 05:14 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mct, athletic performance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users