Photo
- - - - -

Piracetam and water retention?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:42 PM

Warning: Urine mentioned. Hopefully I'm not being too gross / TMI!

I've been taking Piracetam for about 18 months now, and only recently noticed that when I take it I tend to use the bathroom far less. Overall I feel great and I had a complete blood test about a month ago (checked everything from hemoglobin to thyroid to white blood cells). My results were perfectly normal and indicated that I was extremely healthy.

In addition to about 1200 mg piracetam per day, I also take a multivitamin, a choline supplement, fish oil, grape seed extract, Ritalin (for ADHD) and oral contraceptives. I started noticing the water retention thing about 2 months ago - my whole life I've had a rather overactive bladder (no pathology was found for this - I was just told it was small bladder + anxiety). It's kind of nice to not be running to the bathroom so much, truthfully, but I have not been able to find ANYTHING in my Web searches on piracetam indicating this substance has an effect on fluid metabolism. I tried eliminating every other supplement or medication I take, one at a time, and piracetam is the ONLY thing that affects how often I have to pee. I'm just wondering if this substance has ever been used to treat overactive bladder, because it seems to be doing that quite well for me.

I've also noticed that my metabolism of B-vitamins seems to have been altered in the past few months. I used to get the bright yellow pee effect from taking large amounts of riboflavin, only this hasn't been happening recently. I'm not bleeding or anything; I just have a very normal color all the time. I'm just hoping that whatever effects I'm seeing are positive and not the sign of early kidney failure or something!

Any info / research on piracetam's effects on kidney / water balance?

• Lurker

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:07 AM

I take a B vitamin tablet (that includes a few other substances) daily, and I've noticed that it makes my urine a darker yellow color with a somewhat stronger urine smell. I wouldn't worry, you could discuss this issue with your doctor and report back to us if you're worried.

As for Piracetam, I don't know if it increases water retention.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 03:50 AM

1. The only thing I can think of that would do what you describe is vasopressin (not recommended for women I gather).

2. I've not heard any reports of this. One question--are you more relaxed now then before? If so perhaps that is the reason you are making less urine.

3. If your urine is not bright yellow now and was before perhaps your body is now using more B vitamins and you should take more. The point being not to make your urine yellow, but that perhaps your body is using all it has and needs more since the urine spill of the yellow color only happens (I think) after your body has used what it needs (at that point in time).

4. Re: relaxation and ADD one thing you might try is this brief exercise:

http://www.thewayofs...meditation.html

Try it as is, or better for 4 or 5 minutes twice a day. Can really make a difference.

#4 Anne

• Topic Starter
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 04:50 AM

Well, now that you mention it...I WAS more relaxed. That's actually the first thing I noticed prior to the supposed "water retention": I was standing in the lab at work one day, and realized, "Wow, I feel more relaxed now than I have in...forever!"

It's probably just me being silly and hypochondriacal. I have heard that piracetam can assist with anxiety - maybe I'm just seeing the results of this effect? If so, that's fascinating! A profoundly physiological effect I most certainly did not expect.

#5 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 05:38 AM

Why taking vitamin B pills? I suppose that simply eating meat in the correct dosage is the best...

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#6 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:35 PM

" Why taking vitamin B pills? I suppose that simply eating meat in the correct dosage is the best..."

not if you want optimal health, no. The quantities are simply not enough.

#7 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 12:51 PM

Oh well, thanks for the information Scott.
I some why still hold my position when it comes to me...
I am a predator, and I eat red meat quite often so it seems, I am not lacking vitamin B at all...

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#8 Anne

• Topic Starter
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:17 PM

I eat practically no red meat (maybe once every 2 months, and in very small quantities), which means I need B-vitamin supplementation. And I also take oral contraceptives, which deplete the body's B vitamins even further.

#9 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:21 AM

"I am a predator, and I eat red meat quite often so it seems, I am not lacking vitamin B at all..."

I couldn't imagine what you were thinking....that applies to B12--there are 10 other b vitamins (don't ask why 10) .

Sources of b vitamins are here:

http://www.netfit.co.uk/vit3.htm

Azalyn,

Given that you're taking oral contraceptives I'd say just get a good multiple + an extra B-50 + and extra 400 micrograms folic acid.

#10 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:22 AM

Oh and infernity you are assuming because you get some b vitamins from meats that you are getting optimal amounts.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:30 AM

Thanks Scott :)
Now I can tell for certain that I am not lacking any type of vitamin B (after I've seen the link you added).
Maybe I am not having the optimal amounts, but I believe I have enough- at least for now...

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users