Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

BS in Bio in 6 months..then what?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheKidInside

• 135 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hey guys! I am going to make a very a personal and extensive as well as soul searching post so if anyone can chime in they will hopefully do so knowing me rather well by the time I am done hehe

I am one semester (if my guidance counselor hasn't messed anything up haha) away from graduating with my Bio degree. I know it seems weird, Bio? As in pre-med? Well, yes I suppose. I originally finished my AA in a community college as I took my GED mid senior year (by the time I got the results back all the 4 year schools were closed for admission/registration) just to get out of a HS I used to love but ended up hating with all the local school closings our school became trash. My AA was in broadcasting because I wanted to go to film school or at least the production side of things. My dad as he has been known to do in the past with my art school and such persuaded me to turn away from arts once again and go into medical/health care field.

My mom is a brilliant pharmacist and I truly admire her. She's very knowledgeable about Rx/prescription drugs but is no novice when it comes to dietary supplements, "nootropics", herbal stuff, acupuncture efficiency, etc. So naturally pharmacy was my first suggestion but as I've not had the interest nor any understanding of chemistry (barely passed HS chemistry although I slacked off and don't think I've opened the book, homework or a "do-now" once), I decided to forego this suggestion. In hindsight this was a great choice because I know people who are in the field and they are also into longevity, health, wellness etc and hate what they have to do the majority of the time (not even an exaggeration I've screen caps from Facebook regarding what some of them truly believe).

Next up was Physical/Occupational therapy. I used them interchangeably because more or less (outside of physics) all the pre-reqs are the same. Bio, Chem, Anatomy/Physio, etc

I liked the concept of helping people rehabilitate and whatever it is that OTs actually do (very ambiguous to me to this day haha). Somewhere at this point I also got very serious about my health after going to Israel and weighing myself there at 230 pounds (in kilograms but I converted it). this was in summer of 07 and by summer of 08 when I went on a Eurotrip I was down to under 160, lean, and healthy (I didn't do any stupid caloric deficits or Atkins or any fad diet). I took what I learned in Bio 1 and 2 as well as nutrition 1001 and 2001 and threw out what sounded like junk (eat tons of refined grains lol) and applied the good stuff to my life. I felt great and really began to think about a career in nutrition. When I get back from Europe (about 2 months out there visiting family and traveling with my cousin around the Western European nations) I began to feel "lost". I looked into nutrition/dietitian degrees but they all seemed VERY outdated in their approaches and also their ability to practice. For instance I found that most RD (registered Dietitian) jobs in NYC were in the public/private sector, i.e. hospitals or schools where you have to oblige by the USDA standards to come up with meal plans. Very redundant, counterproductive to HEALTH occupation it seemed. Sure I could have went into a "private practice" but having to bear a few a years of indoctrination and brainwashing just didn't appeal to me...

I, then, took some time off from school I had one business, then another, then a rather successful sports podcast/website but I didn't wanna give up on what I wanted to do in the health field. So, I returned to school and have never been happier really.

So, low and behold I am about to graduate with my Bio degree and a minor in psychology actually! Curiously, I always hated many aspects of psychology but became very intrigued by it after working with a friend of mine who is an NLP psychologist and hypno-therapist and a brilliant man. Anywho, I am trying to decide on a career path from this point on. Basically, I've several graduate programs to at the very least apply for and explore but I am torn between what's worth it (i know it's an ambiguous way to phrase it, do I mean monetarily/financially, altruistic, etc?).

For example, I love the concept of holistic medicine (CAM, complementary and alternative medicine) like acupuncture and Oriental medicine (but it's 4 days years for the combine program) or Occupational therapy (not really CAM but very rewarding it seems) but it doesn't seem like I'd have much room to implement nutrition because that's something I've fallen in love with oh sooo much.

so to end this FRAT, any insight or two cents or personal experience/practioners in any of the aforementioned would be greatly welcome and appreciated

#2 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

Congratz on getting you degree! I've just finished highschool myself so I'm going to Uni soon. I eventually want to get my PhD and research aging.

As for what career for you to go in I can't help you there. Personal trainer maybe?
Personally I'd just pick the one that makes you the most money(I'm planning on starting my own business and learning about the stock market, making some money etc before I really get down into doing research). Would you consider going into aging research or research of any kind?

Edited by The Immortalist, 25 June 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#3 TheKidInside

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:08 AM

not really a research type of cat because i am more about the clinical approach. I've been working pro bono in nutrition with friends and family for a while now and most of research in that field is pure crap. I've taken a class called "Ethics and Statistics in Research" and it really shows you that a study means f*$k all because of the bias, interest groups, funding, etc.

Personal trainer is OK but if anything I wanna get my CSCS so I can coach athletes and kids as well :)

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users