• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Terri Schiavo

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the current case? (84 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the current case?

1. It was right to remove the feeding tubes (27 votes [40.30%])

Percentage of vote: 40.30%

2. It was wrong to remove the feeding tubes (40 votes [59.70%])

Percentage of vote: 59.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• Lurker

Posted 27 March 2005 - 08:21 PM

shadegrown:

As for suicide... that's something which should be prevented forcibly and severely punished by law.

Of course that means destructive uploading must also be outlawed, as well as every other technology of radical voluntary self-modification that's going to be construed as 'suicide' by the majority (giving up one's human identity, interrupting one's biological continuity etc.). Bye bye morphological freedom...

We should force people to endure their condition, no matter how painful, just because there's always a possibility that they might be cured someday.

We confirm the public's worst fears if we advocate foisting technological life extension on others against their will. I'm just sayin'.

You've said it better than I. The Immortalist position is not to force life on others indefinitely, even against their will.

#92 Jay the Avenger

• 286 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:19 PM

I'm trying to say: if Terri has no more consciousness, then she is truly dead already. It is just a matter of letting the body go. This is why I referred to the cloning-bit, ya know. There's a logical explanation for everything.

< text deleted by caliban: abusive language, no informative content
Poster is no longer welcome to contribute in this thread, please open your own topic in the free speech forum. >

Edited by caliban, 28 March 2005 - 12:13 PM.

#93 r_coyote

• 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:54 PM

There is no Terry Schiavo

It is neither right nor wrong to remove the feeding tubes.

If a "Soul" requires a substrate to exist, then it is not a "spiritual" essence, and it dies with the body.

If it is not substrate (meat) bound, then "She" (as soul) cannot die with the death of the body.

Interestingly, there is a passage in the bible that states that when we die we are dead period dead stop, I have never seen any biblical support of the idea what we "go to heaven" WHEN we die, It is my biblical (mythological) understanding that we are very dead and then a chosen few are resurrected in some future age.

The cleanest ethical position I can imagine is to donate organs and tissue to the now sentient, or cryostasis, or both.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#94 nefastor

• 304 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:08 PM

shadegrown
Of course that means destructive uploading must also be outlawed ...

Of course. But I don't consider uploading as an effective way of achieving immortality of the self, only of the thought processes. I advocate "inloading", the replacement of neurons as they naturally die by artificial neurons. The process would take a lifetime and is entirely non-destructive and non-disruptive.

Notice that inloading may also be performed with natural neurons as replacements. Artificial neurons will appeal to people with specific requirements, such as survivability in high-acceleration environments like spacecrafts. But I digress...

shadegrown
We confirm the public's worst fears if we advocate foisting technological life extension on others against their will. I'm just sayin'.

Yeah, but I don't really care. Sometimes you have to force people to do what is good for them, even if they don't like it. Our parents forced us to finish our vegetables. Our teachers forced us to do our homework. It took us years before we could understand that it was for our own good. I met some "adults" who still haven't understood that.

People today think they are responsible (and should be "in charge") just because they are adult. But this word - adult - will take on a different meaning once we achieve immortality. 200-year old people may well be called "youngsters" by 1000-year old people. And it could very well take centuries before someone has matured enough to understand the decisions of his elders.

Besides, the "will" of people is surprisingly limited. Do you think a lot of people would insist on having safety belts in their cars, if they weren't forced to ? Do you think they'd respect speed limitations on their own ? Every day, everyone does something against their will. Sometimes we understand why, sometimes we don't.

Forcing people to live longer is just the same thing : we might be insulted for the next 100 years, but someday people will come to their senses and realize that they are better off being alive than being dead.

Compared to immortals, we are but children, no matter how old we are.

shadegrown
I think we should provide everyone with information about their medical options as best as we can and publicly finance medical interventions widely considered beneficial, but the decisions of a sane individual concerning their own body should not be usurped by the state. Otherwise we're pulling out the rug under ourselves.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in France we have a medical institution (ordre des medecins) independant from the government or the administration. All the members are surgeons and doctors. They decide how anything should be treated or cured, and will judge the actions of their peers in litigious cases.

The public has NO SAY about any of that. And it's normal : doctors know what they should do. Engineers like me have no place telling them how to cure people. Likewise, doctors don't tell me how best to write computer programs, the IEEE does.

Speaking strictly of immortality, you seem to assume there would exist, at a given time, more than one way to achieve immortality so that people may face a choice. In reality the probably for that to happen is very low. There will always be, at any time, an optimal way to immortality. Therefore there wouldn't really be a choice : people seeking immortality would all make the same choice.

Moreover, no choice is ever going to be definitive. As long as you are alive, even if it takes forever, you will be able to switch to a different form of immortality. For instance, becoming a cyborg then returning to flesh... remember that "immortality" means you can wait on science and technology to give you what you want or need. It also means that the actions of, say, the government, would no longer have an impact on your lifespan. If that were to change, I'd be the first to take arms and overthrow my government.

You see, giving people ANY form of immortality is equivalent to giving them eternal freedom of choice. At the cost of just ONE obligation : to keep living, even if we have to force them.

It's like giving people a ton of gold. They have the right to throw it away, but they certainly couldn't accuse them of trying to make a decision for them. See what I mean ?

Brian, I'll try to answer question 2 as directly as I can :

If we decide that death is unacceptable, we will NOT unplug terminally-ill people. Therefore, the question of who makes the decision to unplug... is moot. And the decision that death is unacceptable ? Well, is it even a decision ? That's a no-brainer (pun intended).

If we allow people to unplug their "loved ones" (which I find utterly selfish... not wanting to see someone else suffer), the answer is a lot more complex. How can you prove that there is no hope for a person, ever ? Do you know the future ? Can you predict with 100% accuracy that no medical breakthrough will occur before the patient dies ?

If you could, then I would still have people live. What's a few more months or years, compared to death ? (oblivion, forever !)

I'd rather be in pain than be dead. I would rather lose my mind, my senses and be paralyzed, than be dead. I will die eventually, now or in a million years. AFAIK this will be irreversible, so I want to live no matter what, and people should too. I'll be very blunt : anyone who thinks otherwise is a WUSS, a lazy quitter, and I must wonder how they even found the energy to come out of their mother's womb and start breathing.

Jay the Avenger, I agree on everything you said.

Coyote, I think you're right about the Bible : I seem to remember that we will be sent to Heaven or Hell on Judgement Day, and not the day we die. This Judgement Day is supposed to be at the end of time, right ? For us scientists, that means NEVER [lol]

Man oh man, this simple vote ended in a big badass discussion, complete with flames, weapons-grade language and collateral damage... if anything, that shows how immortality still isn't as obvious a choice as it would seem.

Jean

• Lurker

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:54 PM

Jean (nefastor), what you're saying is that you want to strip the right of others to commit suicide or be euthanized (assisted suicide) by their own consent. This position is no different from the right to life groups forcing life upon those that choose otherwise.

The situation with right to life groups is an entirely different matter. The point of contention there is not the mother ending her own life but making a decision towards the pregnancy.

We may ask when and by what criteria is a person deemed to be of sufficiently stable psychological status to make an informed choice on such an irreversible outcome. Is mere depression sufficient? Or an inadequate health insurance policy? This is a Pandora's box that must always remain closed if we are to uphold the value of human life.

Alternatively we may escalate the responsibility of euthanasia choice to judicial instruments in the hope of obtaining a well informed and temperate decision that reflects the values of society in parallel to a clear understanding of evidence based medical interventions and outcomes. Alas, such a mechanism is a fantasy: I was astonished when Judge Greer ordered no further neurological tests be performed on Terri, particularly fMRI, which is the "gold standard" in detecting cognitive activity where the patient demonstrates minimal response to stimuli. This is tragic for Terri, those who love her and society in general. His decision has no medical substrate and cannot and should not be accepted.

Posted Image

When Terri dies as a result of his order to deny her food and fluids, Greer, whether due to incompetence or ideological fervor, will be complicit in her murder.

• Lurker

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:50 AM

We may ask when and by what criteria is a person deemed to be of sufficiently stable psychological status to make an informed choice on such an irreversible outcome. Is mere depression sufficient? Or an inadequate health insurance policy? This is a Pandora's box that must always remain closed if we are to uphold the value of human life.

Normally, euthanasia is pursued by those who are suffering from a terminal illness seeking to end their misery.

If a probable post-human era is realized, will we question the right to self-terminate? Is your contention that humans cannot handle such a right under any circumstance? Should we bar euthanasia as an option for those who are suffering and terminally ill? What about euthanasia to end suffering and to provide an optimal condition for cryo-preservation?

#97 theprimemover

• 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:36 AM

Yeah, but I don't really care. Sometimes you have to force people to do what is good for them, even if they don't like it... ad nauseum.

For all the talk about fascism, this seems to be the best example of it on this thread.

Edited by theprimemover, 28 March 2005 - 07:24 PM.

• Lurker

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:48 AM

Do you understand that you have drawn an hypothesis from data that contradicts that hypothesis?

What hypothesis and what data?

I see you have some pretty extreme views on this matter

On the contrary, I am considered reasonably conservative in my views (you on the other hand are risking being the pot that calls the kettle black if you peruse your own posts which have been unyielding in their efforts to derail a debate on keeping Terri alive and morphing this discussion into a histrionic case for the US evolving into a fascist state).

A science education, certain character traits and life experience, however, have made it a habit to scrutinize more closely what others may choose not to. In other words I take nothing for granted - whether it is the view of a neurologist or a judge. Consequently I do not see my position of keeping Terri alive as extreme, but more well informed. For example, if anything has come out of the recent media coverage it is that the neurologists from both camps cannot reach a diagnostic consensus. This is highly disturbing in light of Terri's life being at stake and outrageous that a judge orders that no more tests be performed. I have seen more judicial liberalism in assisting convicted multiple murderers and rapists to evade death row than in keeping Terri alive.

That is a very very very serious allegation. Instead of just looking like a dolt, why don't you put the information from which you draw this conclusion up here for us to see.

Yes it is a most serious allegation and I unequivocally stand by it. If the judge has not exhausted all avenues of obtaining the requisite medical information about this woman's condition, especially after having been provided evidence from a neurologist that there are indications that she is attempting to communicate, then according to the standard of ethics that he is bound to be held by, he is in fact more responsible and complicit in her death than any other party including her "husband".

And if I appear like a "dolt" to you, it is not an entirely undesirable nor an unjustified view considering the chasm that exists between you and I, Chip.

To all interested: all the court documents may be found at http://www.terrisfight.net/ and I draw particular attention to Greer's refusal to entertain the notion of fMRI tests http://www.terrisfig...5denmedtest.pdf

We must not forget that this case must be determined by scientific evidence. The judge, in this case, is hindering the acquisition and presentation of such evidence

• Lurker

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:52 AM

edit: I've removed this post because it doesn't contribute to this discussion.

Edited by cosmos, 05 April 2005 - 11:44 PM.

• Lurker

Posted 28 March 2005 - 05:19 AM

If a probable post-human era is realized, will we question the right to self-terminate? Is your contention that humans cannot handle such a right under any circumstance? Should we bar euthanasia as an option for those who are suffering and terminally ill? What about euthanasia to end suffering and to provide an optimal condition for cryo-preservation?

All very valid questions worthy of much deliberation by many minds from varied perspectives.

If you are interested in my opinion, however, the concept of suicide is by every consideration irrational. In my view, a sane (whatever that means) person that is not suffering from any clinically adverse psychological condition (including depression) would never choose to end their existence unless it served a higher purpose (such as knowingly risking or ending one's life in order to save a loved one).

In respect to euthanasia for terminally ill I am not against it but the degree of stringency in the definition of what it means to be terminally ill and the mechanism, controls etc. for the implementation of euthanasia in such circumstances is daunting. My greatest concern is the potential for abuse by those who are not terminally ill and by those who administer it. I personally knew of nurses that have placed a pillow on the face of end-of-life patients in palliative care in a public hospital - if the patient manages to lift the pillow off (the pillow is not held in place, it is left covering the patient's face and obstructing breathing) then he or she lives for another day. It is monstrous but these nurses consider it merciful. I have never been able to stomach it. I dread to think what happens in retirement homes.

Cosmos, you probably know that the cellular damage caused by our present implementation of cryopreservation is severe. The technology required to re-animate cryopreserved "patients" will have to do some very fancy repairs including a lot of molecular extrapolation. Personally, I would not be euthanizing reasonably healthy people with the view that they will become re-animated in the future with greater success.

• Lurker

Posted 28 March 2005 - 06:04 AM

Cosmos, you probably know that the cellular damage caused by our present implementation of cryopreservation is severe. The technology required to re-animate cryopreserved "patients" will have to do some very fancy repairs including a lot of molecular extrapolation. Personally, I would not be euthanizing reasonably healthy people with the view that they will become re-animated in the future with greater success.

I brought up cryonics in my question for patients who are suffering, terminally ill, already on course for death but choose to be euthanized so that they can be cryo-preserved under optimal conditions. The challenges in future reanimation of such patients are probably enormous, but in my example the alternative would be permanent death (as far as we know).

edit: "What about euthanasia to end suffering and to provide an optimal condition for cryo-preservation?"

I meant to write "... to end suffering in terminally ill patients....". I apologize.

• Lurker

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:41 PM

Tom/Chip:

You have taken out of context what are obviously rhetorical statements and assumed that I posited a hypothesis - which I did not - I expressed my opinion using the metaphor of Pandora's box. You have managed to accuse me of obfuscation, deliberate convolution and insincerity based upon your interpretation of my writing (an interpretation which is completely distorted and an outrageous claim - my intention is never to obfuscate - on the contrary it is to analyse, unravel, expose and demonstrate my reasoning based on empirical evidence whenever possible). Furthermore you accuse me of authoritarianism even when I myself state that it is my philosophy not to take anyone's so-called expertise for granted and in refusing to do so invite others to similar explorations and open debate. I am as willing to yield to reason, and often do when presented with reasonable evidence, as I am to relentlessly argue a topic. However, your incessant pursuit to find a connection between the intractable mindset of an arguably unfit judge for this matter and some sort of fascist conspiracy that spans the country is becoming tiresome and bordering on paranoid. What on earth does 9/11 have to do with enabling an fMRI test on Terri to determine her cognitive capacity??

In relation to order no. 90-2908-GD-003 (hyperlinked in a previous post) made on the 9th March 2005, from page 2, 2nd paragraph and I quote in reference to the material presented before Greer, as explained by him, to support Terri Schiavo's case for continued nutritional and hydrating support (referred to as life prolonging procedures):
"... and reports in medical journals of applicable studies and new diagnostic tools. Respondents' motion is also accompanied by thirty-three affidavits from doctors in several specialties, speech pathologists and therapists and a few neuro-psychologists, all urging that new tests be undertaken." On page 4, first paragraph, Greer states "They are arguing that a new diagnostic tool, the fMRI has been developed that is useful in recording brain activity in a minimally conscious state.", and adds from an uncited journal reference in the same page, 2nd paragraph, "According to the article in Neurology, the fMRI was employed in a study that showed that some MCS patients may retain widely distributed cortical systems with potential for cognitive and sensory function despite their inability to follow simple instructions or communicate reliably." He then proceeds to deny the motion for relief from judgment.

It is appalling that Greer refused to rationally explore the scientific evidence and casually dismisses 33 affidavits from medical professionals without even citing them. It is unacceptable that he did not permit fMRI testing when a pubmed search brings up literally hundreds of positive research reports associated with measuring location, amount and type of brain function in the year 2004 alone.

#103 randolfe

• 439 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:00 PM

This discussion can be viewed as historic conflict between the thoughts of Aristotle and Descartes according to a New York Times front page headline in "Week in Review" Sunday, March 27, 2005, entitled: "Did Descartes Doom Terri Schiavo?"

I was skeptical when I started reading this article but ended up being quite impressed. Reading the most recent postings here reflects that analysis.

The essential question is: "Is every human life precious, no matter how disabled? Or do human beings have the right to self-determination and to decide when life has value?

Aristotle considered existence itself to be inviolable.

Descartes, the Enlightenment philospher, defined life not as biological existence but as consciousness, about which people can make judgments.

The Times article notes that the emergence of medicine in the last century moved death from the home to hospitals. Authority thereby shifted from from religious leaders to Doctors.

"Doctors were free not to tell patients that they were terminally ill, claiming for themselves the right to determine what was appropriate.

"Death became a 'medicalized' state, to be determined by human expertise. Like life, it could be treated as a medical option."

The patients rights movement of the 1960s and 1970s managed to shift authority away from experts and institutions and back to individuals.

The history of the conflict between these two schools of thought ahve a peculiar twist in the United States.

"The evangelical revival of the 18th and 19th centuries (and the view that all life had value) produced the abolition movement, which gave rise to the suffrage movement, which led to the patient's rights movement. But now the patient's rights movement faces off with many 21st evangelical Christians in the Schiavo case.

"At the same time, the scientific legacy of the Enlightment, which argued that human life resided not in the body but the mind, is now being undermined, as modern neuroscience demystifies elements of thought and personality as heartless biochemical or geneic processes. The mind is simply prisoner to the body's DNA.

"The ideas at play over this history do not conclude with Ms. Schiavo's case, "the Times noted, "but feed into arguments over abortion, stem-cell research, assisted suicide, the death penalty and even animal rights."

I think we have all sensed that this debate dealt with issues important to Immortalists. The latest twist in this sad tale has highlighted some important aspects that could dramtically impact us all.

Michael Schiavo, Terri's husband, wants her body immediately cremated upon death. He is also going to bury her ashes in his family grave plot in Pennsylvania.

The parents say cremation violates Roman Catholic beliefs and wants to have their daughter buried in Florida near where they live.

Diehards on the "keep the tube connected" side are implying that "instant cremation" is desired by the husband to prevent any autopsy that might determine more difinitively whether the order to remove the tube was justified. Some even hint that the husband might be trying to cover up physical abuse done to his wife during the stormy months of their disintegrating marriage immediately prior to Terri's having the heart failure that left her in this state.

The arguments regarding cremation and religious beliefs have HUGE implications for those like Imminst member, The First Immortal, who has been working on legal arguments that "cryonic suspension" is essentially "a religous rite" for those who believe in it.

This situation, in which I am sure the majority of people would probably favor the parents' wishes regarding handling of the body, highlights a very important shortcoming in contemporary law.

An individual cannot make arrangements for cremation that will be effective after his/her death without doing it while alive and having his closest relative sign off on it in advance. In fact, you can't object to cremation either. You have no say in the matter. At death, ownership of your body passes to your next of kin.

That is a violation of "patients rights". But you legally cease to exist at the time of death and any "power of attorney" you've given to anyone expires with your death.
I wonder how Alcor deals with this problem? I believe they have people who want to be cryo-preserved donate their bodies to Alcor for medical research.

These laws vary a bit state by state. Organ donation (and body donation) might be a special area exempted from the general "you-have-no-right-to-say-what-happens-to-your-body-after-death" laws.

Laws have a life of their own. A law which said the expressed wishes regarding burial in a will must be respected could actually lay a good legal framework for those who want to be cryo-preserved.

However, a law saying that "the religious beliefs of an individual's religion cannot be violated" by the person having authority over the body could enable family members to stop someone from being cryo-preserved.

So, the issue of who has control of one's body after death is actually a very important one.

#104 ex_banana_eater

• Guest, F@H
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:14 PM

Null Vote

Preserve (via cryonics) as much of her consciousness (brain) as possible for future reanimation.  Do the preservation as soon as possible after removing the feeding tubes.

Hey

I couldn't possibly read this whole thread right now, but I got the e-mail and read this post. She has no consciousness, her cerebral cortex has degraded into mush, therefore it cannot be preserved. If her body was brought back to being a rational human being in the future, it wouldn't be HER, it would merely be her tissue.

#105 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:34 PM

Randolfe wrote:

Organ donation (and body donation) might be a special area exempted from the general "you-have-no-right-to-say-what-happens-to-your-body-after-death" laws.

Correct. The Uniform Anatomic Gift Act (as variously implemented in each state) is a powerful instrument, which is why Alcor fought hard to retain access to it in the cryonics legislative battles of last year

http://www.alcor.org...egislation.html

There is a broad discussion of legal conveyance in cryonics at

http://www.alcor.org...egalstatus.html

---BrianW

#106 nefastor

• 304 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:45 PM

Normally, euthanasia is pursued by those who are suffering from a terminal illness seeking to end their misery.

You seem to consider that cryonics involve suicide. While I'm not in favor of cryonics, I'm pretty sure those who like the idea of cryonics fully intend to live beyond their stay in the freezer. To them, euthanasia to improve cryo-preservation isn't suicide at all, and death is only a temporary state.

Euthanasia usually occurs in two cases :

- The person who is ill, is in such pain that he/she wants to die. This state of being isn't ideal for making vital decisions intelligently, I'm sure you'll agree. Just as you would agree that a drunk person shouldn't be allowed to drive a car.

- The person who is ill can no longer communicate with anyone (i.e. deep coma). His/her family and friends ask for euthanasia out of their own feelings : sadness in the face of illness, for instance. Euthanasia somehow makes them feel they still have some control even in such dire circumstances. This is selfish. This type of euthanasia is murder.

People who aren't convinced that they should keep on living, are not smart enough for their own good.

To force such people to live is natural, passively allowing them to die is no different that shooting them in the head, or leaving a baby unattended in a dangerous place.

In France, "non-assistance to a person in danger" is punished by law and can sometimes be assimilated to first-degree murder if the person in danger ends up dead. Allowing suicide is a clear case of not assisting a person in danger.

As I've already said, people might hate me today for "denying them the right to die", but they'll have all of eternity to come to their senses, thank me and buy me a beer.

People on this forum keep thinking of humans as mortal creatures, when we aim to achieve lifespans of millions of years and more. Stop considering short-term feelings when discussing issues like euthanasia, place everything in a much longer timeframe and you'll see they take on a different meaning.

Jean

• Lurker

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:10 PM

Hey

I couldn't possibly read this whole thread right now, but I got the e-mail and read this post. She has no consciousness, her cerebral cortex has degraded into mush, therefore it cannot be preserved. If her body was brought back to being a rational human being in the future, it wouldn't be HER, it would merely be her tissue.

I understand you haven't read this entire thread, but this case was made as well. The cryonics option was brought up as a default alternative to death, despite near negligible hope of reanimation retaining her to any large degree (there is little to reconstitute or recover in her cerebral cortex, irrespective of technological progress).

#108 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:38 PM

nefaster wrote:

As I've already said, people might hate me today for "denying them the right to die", but they'll have all of eternity to come to their senses, thank me and buy me a beer.

No they won't, for you will have killed them. As I said earlier in this thread:

Yes, let's take every patient now dying of a terminal illness, put them on a ventilator with total parenteral nutrition, ECMO, the works, stretching them out for months at a cost of $10,000 a day while their brain is totally consumed by sepsis and tumors. Cryonics? Forget it. If the state ever imposes the draconian standard that blood circulation must be maintained at all costs no matter what a patient or their family wants, no terminal patient will ever have a brain left for cryonics.

Ostensibly addressing this issue, you wrote:

You seem to consider that cryonics involve suicide. While I'm not in favor of cryonics, I'm pretty sure those who like the idea of cryonics fully intend to live beyond their stay in the freezer. To them, euthanasia to improve cryo-preservation isn't suicide at all, and death is only a temporary state.

Yes, *TO THEM*, but no one else. The courts have already spoken on this issue

http://www.alcor.org...mpAbstract.html

and there is no cryonics exception for euthanasia laws. If you tighten laws further so that even removal of treatment is not permitted, you condemn thousands of immortalists (cryonicists) to death by brain destruction. Think about that.

But you shouldn't have to think about it. Whenever government messes with personal autonomy, there's always injustice that comes of it. Rights should be retained as a matter of principle, not just because minorities can be identified that would be affected by their loss.

---BrianW

#109 randolfe

• 439 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE: Don Spanton wrote:

If there is even the smallest, most insignicant chance that someone's life could be saved, should we "keep hope alive"? I guess I would have to say yes. chasses.gif (Don notes his second reversal on this issue... biggrin.gif )

Two flip flops on one thread, man I must be losing it. whis.gif biggrin.gif

Don, you are not the only one. I changed my opinions also as I got more information.

In fact, the details about the disintegration of the cortex and there only being fluid left, the details about someone in a vegetative state having eyes opened but not really following movement or responding in a direct credible way, Brian W's argument that extending bodily functions while the brain disintegrates, etc. had me ready to support pulling that tube. Only the willingness of the parents and/or others to privately take care of the expenses of care caused me to continue supporting leaving the tube in.

The fact that you change and modify opinions show that you are participating in a mentally open give-and-take fashion.

It is interesting that Imminst voters supported leaving the tube connected by a pretty substantial majority. Among the public at large, a majority of Evangelical Christians and an even greater majority of the general public supported withdrawing the tube and causing her to die. Perhaps we Immortalists view this differently because we have no belief in an afterlife and death as oblivion.

#110 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:00 AM

Randolfe wrote:

It is interesting that Imminst voters supported leaving the tube connected by a pretty substantial majority.

I think there has been a failure in much of this discussion to distinguish between generalities and specifics. Yes, generally speaking, it's a good life-affirming idea to let patients continue to be cared for as long as there are people willing to do it. Yes, generally speaking, it's a good life-affirming idea to cryopreserve even patients that have little brain structure left because some small part of who they were might emerge on the other end of a repair process. But *in this specific case* the husband has apparently convinced every court that has heard the case that his wife didn't want to continue in her present state, and that her present state is so poor that discontinuing care is not homocide. Given this background, we must take great pause before advocating that government impose its view of what lives are or aren't worth continuing over individual and family decisions.

---BrianW

#111 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:05 AM

Actually Randolfe a number of votes weren't counted because of the software. Has anyone added up the *null votes*?

Many of us gave it as our choice and it wasn't listed so by default we were ignored.

#112 mike

• 131 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:30 AM

Brian wrote:

...*in this specific case* the husband has apparently convinced every court that has heard the case that his wife didn't want to continue in her present state, and that her present state is so poor that discontinuing care is not homocide.  Given this background, we must take great pause before advocating that government impose its view of what lives are or aren't worth continuing over individual and family decisions.

If we say, for the sake of argument, that Terri's personality, memories, talents, etc. have been permanently destroyed and that there also is no consciousness whatever associated with her body, then she essentially no longer exists. So in what sense is "she" "continu[ing] in her present state"? There is no "present state" for the non-existent. Her alleged "wish" to not continue existing has long since been fulfilled.

What, then, would be the harm in allowing her parents to care for the husk of her body that exhibits certain functions of unconscious "life" totally apart from any conscious or existing person?

Mike

• Lurker

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:10 AM

prometheus, is your conclusion more valid than the evidence? Are you finding the entire court system of Florida as complicit in murder and injustice?

People can determine for themselves, the basis for my conclusion, once they have read the material in the Greer's order.

No - and please refrain from your typical histrionics, not the entire court system - just Judge Greer.

I repeat, this is a case that should be based on scientific evidence. Refusing to acknowledge the informational validity of 33 affidavits from medical professionals in providing reason to explore the possibility that Terri may not be in a persistent vegetative state and also refusing to allow the use of a test that shows brain activity (fMRI) rather than physiology (CT) to support such a view particularly since 3 years have passed since her last evaluation which was by CT alone, is an irresponsible and incompetent decision. In view of the lack of diagnostic consensus the appropriate course of action would have been for Greer to appoint a panel of prominent neurologists to examine the evidence presented and examine Terri themselves. Unfortunately, the burden of proof has been placed with the Schiavo family to demonstrate that new treatments exist that will enable Terri's condition to improve - this they attempted to do citing a swallowing therapy that was successful with another long term comatose patient, Sara Scantlin - which he disregarded, as he did the request for fMRI testing to be conducted. He disregarded this evidence and the request for fMRI testing with no substantive explanation - remember he is a judge and must justify his findings on record.

I believe that he does not appreciate the diagnostic value of fMRI (1) in distinguishing permanent vegetative state from minimally conscious state (as anecdotal evidence suggests she is in) and thus neglecting the most compelling evidence that can be provided in this case before the court to date. Furthermore, the present diagnostic confusion should have supported additional investigation rather than being interpreted as being a burden of proof that was not met.

In essence what we see in his decision is the contrast between "innocent until proven guilty" in the criminal court, and "sentenced to euthanasia until proven treatable" in Greer's court.

There is no appeal once you are dead.

(1) Lancet Neurol 2004;3: 537–46
Brain function in coma, vegetative state, and related disorders
Steven Laureys, Adrian M Owen, and Nicholas D Schiff

#114 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:18 AM

mike wrote:

What, then, would be the harm in allowing her parents to care for the husk of her body that exhibits certain functions of unconscious "life" totally apart from any conscious or existing person?

There's no harm in it, except that due process and self-determination would have to be thrown out the window to enforce it.

Chip wrote:

That means three judges, not just Greer.

Actually this case has been before more than 19 judges over the past half decade if Southern California talk radio can be believed. And that was before it went federal.

---BrianW

#115 nefastor

• 304 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:43 AM

The fact that you change and modify opinions show that you are participating in a mentally open give-and-take fashion.

It is interesting that Imminst voters supported leaving the tube connected by a pretty substantial majority.  Among the public at large, a majority of Evangelical Christians and an even greater majority of the general public supported withdrawing the tube and causing her to die. Perhaps we Immortalists view this differently because we have no belief in an afterlife and death as oblivion.

In France we have a saying which goes something like this : "Only the idiot never change their mind". And I'm sure the good people on this forum are all far from being idiot [lol]

As you say, it's interesting we mostly voted for life. But it was to be expected, considering our goal here is to obtain "infinite lifespans".

The second part of your remark is far more interesting. It makes me feel that religious people consider death to be more important than life in some situations (like Terri's). Are they so certain that something better awaits her beyond death ? What if she didn't want to die ? What if SHE "knew" she was going to Hell ?

Also, I'd like to add something regarding the probability of curing Terri and "bringing her back". Many have said that her brain had turned to "mush" or "fluids" and that her self was lost forever even before she died.

What makes you think so ? I'd like to remind you that there is still NO conclusive evidence of what consciousness is, how it works and where it is located in the body, IF it is in the body. I suggest you open a medical dictionary and look up "brain". In my dictionary, it says "SUPPOSED to be the location of human consciousness".

What makes you so sure we would never discover more ? Something that could have helped Terri ? But now she's dead, she'll never have a chance to benefit of any progress we might make.

Ultimately, this is what I oppose : making a definitive, irreversible choice... and making it for someone else.

Jean

#116 theprimemover

• 10 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:27 AM

Ultimately, this is what I oppose: making a definitive, irreversible choice... and making it for someone else.

And yet you would to presume to make such a choice for others. According to what you have written so far, it would be perfectly legitimate to lock those who would otherwise choose death in whatever form into a Catch-22: only a sane person may choose between life and death and only an insane person would choose death.

If the future only holds the abnegation of individual rights, then living forever is nothing to strive for.

#117 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:56 AM

When a surgeon takes out half of the brain and the person still is conscious. That proves that concsiousness is not located in any 1 specific part of the brain. Which you all probably knew anyway

• Lurker

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:53 PM

Hard for me to place much credibility to anything else you share when you misrepresent the situation to bolster your opinion

You may find it illuminating if you go over the documents available in the link below. The facts speak for themselves.

Also note 17 new affidavits filed during March 2005 by medical professionals supporting a re-evaluation of Terri's condition which have been ignored by Judge Greer.

http://www.terrisfig.../documents.html

Macabre as it sounds to speak of a person who is presently alive, this is a colossal tragedy whose extent may only be revealed by an autopsy.

It is truly the stuff of Orwellian nightmares that a judge can sentence an incapacitated person to euthanasia against the opinions of medical professionals.

#119 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:58 PM

prometheus wrote:

It is truly the stuff of Orwellian nightmares that a judge can sentence an incapacitated person to euthanasia against the opinions of medical professionals.

Now THAT is the kind of highly misleading statement that has characterized the entire state intervention side of this debate. Pure inflammatory rhetoric.

Riding herd on the Terri Shiavo case, Rush Limbaugh today was attacking the whole concept of brain death and organ donation. He said that any belief that human personhood was contingent on the brain was part of "the culture of death". THIS, Prometheus, is why Brownback et al want to outlaw therapeutic cloning, why cryonics gets no respect, and why if human minds ever do move into alternative substrates they will get no recognition or rights as people. Beating hearts get rights, but beings capable of awareness and thoughts do not.

So there it is. Plain as day. The religious right doesn't give a darn about whether she's aware or not, what an fMRI would reveal, or whether she has a brain at all. A leading conservative thinker has just said he thinks none of that matters, and that the very idea of trying to relate brain integrity to personhood is immoral. Go think on that.

---BrianW

• Lurker

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:46 PM

Damn right it's inflammatory rhetoric - not to mislead but to catalyze thought. Have you read the affidavits Brian? Have you considered the possibility that this woman has been misdiagnosed? We have only seen some single slices of CT scans floating around the internet that have zero diagnostic value.

These are the facts:

1. No fMRI has been conducted on Terri
2. No diagnostic consensus has been reached
3. There are 33 affidavits that have been provided by medical professionals, 17 in this month alone to support a re-evaluation of Terri.
4. Look at the videos -- those are not reflexes but more like the responses of a severely disabled person.

I would say there is sufficient doubt here to cause a judge to allow additional testing with a more powerful neuroimaging technology that can detect the extent of residual brain function. Surely it is worth trying, even if the possibility that she may be found to be sufficiently conscious is small!

You are stretching reason and veering dangerously close to the ad hominem realm to suggest that my support to allow this woman to be properly diagnosed is misleading. Where is your evidence, other than anecdotal, that she is in a persistent vegetative state versus a minimally conscious state?

Tying in the credibility (or lack) of cryonics and therapeutic cloning is a cheap shot. I am on record in these forums as fully supporting both. That does not bind me to being insensitive of even a single life being asphyxiated by bureaucratic bullshit and a blatant disregard for the use of science to properly assess her condition.

Greer ordered no food or drink by mouth. That is a Euthanasia sentence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users