• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Assembler Prize

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

I have asked that question some time over the years but there seems to be no interesst but i will continue to do so maybe people will find it interessting one day.

What do you think about an assembler prize (like the methusalah mouse prize) to encourage the creation of the first drexlarian assembler (or the first steps it)?

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

If you knew what the first steps to it were, that might make some sense. At the moment, an assembler prize feels kind of like a time travel prize. It would be great if we could pull it off, but...

#3 A941

• Topic Starter
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:21 AM

In some way we know.
We can see an Assembler the same way we see a machine with a certain task, the first steps would be movement, manipulation of atoms (positioning through assembler, building structures) without own "computer (stationary) , the ability to run simple programms, build structures with these Programs, and so on, finally to be able to replicate itself.

So i think the first step would be to create a simple structure(from nature) with such a device.

...Or we could ask an Expert what he would recommend, at last we would need an expert for the jury.

I really think this would boost things, any one else here who thinks the same?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

I favor a nanoassembler prize

it would create a central area where people described their ideas as well. Im not sure yet I may have thought of a couple nanoassembler ideas

pantographic field
adjustable sized atom rotator
another thing

#5 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

One thing that some people respond to as much as a prize is a trophy. If we could get someone to donate Alan Turing or Joseph Priestleys hat, Feynmans bongos or something that would be a kind of an amuse n motivate prize.

#6 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

It is likely that people that like nanoassemblers also like computational automata

these are systems that using very simple rules cause notable behaviors. This image from wikipedia http://commons.wikim...rge_channel.gif shows a simple automata that causes a glider to move on a complex path as wikipedia describes it

Multiple low-level structures interact to allow one structure to "race" along a closed track. The racer starts as a glider in the diagonal column to the right of the main pattern. It is then reflected multiple times along the track. At the bottom it is temporally transformed into a spaceship. It then finishes the track as a glider again

Attached File  Color_coded_racetrack_large_channel.gif   1.38MB   4 downloads

click to view the large animated version

Edited by treonsverdery, 17 July 2012 - 10:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users