• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Enjoy aging because the alternative sucks...

aging humour naples news old age blind acceptance

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

I found this article saying that the alternative to aging "sucks." If you're talking about our alternaive then it certainly doesn't suck! It is an amusing article written with humour although it's also a prime example of people just accepting old age because they think that it is futile to fight it:

Aging, go for it, because really, the alternative sucks.
Age is such a funny thing, and I don’t mean funny ha ha! I mean funny, when the heck did I become the oldest person in the room?

There are clear signs of aging along the way and I can do a Jeff Foxworthy rendition and point a few out such as:
You may be getting old...... if you keep your medications in a long pill boxed marked with the seven days of the week.
You may be getting old if....... the giddy anticipation of who will be on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine has been replaced with a less energetic expectation of who will be on the cover of AARP Magazine.

You may be old if...... you glance down, jump and scream because without your granny glasses, the thread on the floor looks like a spider.
And you may be really old if, .....within the hour, you pass the same thread on the floor and you jump out of your skin again because you forgot it was just a thread.

I’m confronted daily with many reminders of my age and together with age recognition I may have an opposite brain flash every now and then as I wonder if I’ve lived too long.

A recent example of that notion came to me when I witnessed an advertisement for a movie entitled “Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.”
What?
Perhaps I have I lived too long.

Most recently, my age was brought home to me when I was watching a 60’s Pop-Rock Reunion special on PBS.

When I tuned in, they were interviewing some old guy in Colonial garb wearing a tricorn hat. With long gray locks of hair hanging out from under the hat, he seemed a little silly and dull as he smiled his senior citizen smile.

As I watched the interview a great old song was playing in the background, “Good Thing” by Paul Revere and the Raiders and it was at that moment I realized the geezer under the tricorn hat was front man, Paul Revere himself.

Ouch!

I suppose that somewhere along the way we all learn to recognize the obvious signs of aging and most of us have devised a way to carry on gracefully. Well, everyone except Madonna. Did anyone catch that pathetic display at half-time during Super Bowl XLVI?
My idea of a 1980’s pop star aging gracefully would be to have her moving elegantly in a stylish gown while singing a few classics, not writhing uncontrollably as huge cannons explode with big noise, smoke and confetti. But that’s just me.
Madonna does however remind me of another sign of aging......

We may be old if instead of enjoying the show we find ourselves making fun of those in the show who are not acting the age that we think they should.

Oh dear.

Just when I’ve convinced myself that I have one foot in the grave, I’m driving down the road with my seven year old granddaughter. I put in my new sassy “Adele” CD and to my surprise, my granddaughter starts singing along. She knows every word.

This pleases me very much and gives me a new attitude. I’m not old, I’m contemporary.

I’m a contemporary woman of a certain age who carries old baggage.

Yeah, that works.

I would have sung along with my granddaughter but I did not dare spoil the heavenly, sweet sound coming from her. As a matter of fact, I gave the block an extra go around just so I could listen a bit longer.

Original article here: http://www.naplesnew...2/jul/12/humor/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aging, humour, naples news, old age, blind acceptance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users