• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

A Collection of experiences...

bookletoutreach experiences stories real-life leaflet potential video campaigning awareness

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

I thought that perhaps it would be an idea to collect a small book/leaflet of the stories behind why certain people support life extension. It would not only spread knowledge of the cause but also give it a "human" face and make it seem somehow more "real" to people. I think a lot of people would feel better about supporting this cause if we made it a bit more personal and with basis on real people in real life...if that makes any sense.

It needn't be a massive project, just something that can be distributed for free perhaps or given away for a small donation. Such a thing could be put on stalls, in leaflet racks or perhaps given out at events.

Another idea for those who are brave and like the limelight would be perhaps us having a challenge whereby members are to post a You Tube video explaining their reasons for supporting this cause. These could be put onto a thread here or maybe if someone had time/motivation, the best ones could be edited and used in a short campaign video to spread awareness.

I know I'm probably building castles in the sky again but maybe these far-flung ideas may one day help someone. :)
  • like x 1

#2 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

I think that is an interesting idea Droplet.

We started something similar once with the 'facing cryonics' project- maybe we should revive that?

If we set up the facilities, would you help invite people to contribute and post a picture of themselves ?

#3 Droplet

• Topic Starter
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:56 AM

I would do all I can though the only means I have is this here forum. I think that we should do one for life extension in general more than just cryonics. Number one I think that people need to get comfortable just with the idea of extended lives and number two I'd say that there are more people who are into life extension but can't afford cryonics like myself.

I am happy to PM certain people I think would be up for this and encourage them to post a photograph. I could post a topic and then if there aren't as many takers as I'd like, individually PM people.

Would that be okay and would it work?

#4 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

Cryonics has more of a 'coming out' factor because its so very practical and 'yuck' - wanting to live longer in some unspecified way is pretty natural and not all that impactful I suppose. We also have to be careful that it doesn't come across as repetitive and narcissistic.

We could draw on the statements that already exist in introductions etc and just turn them into a leaflet.
Maybe you scout a few links regarding what you think are powerful quotes that people have made at LongeCity over the years.

#5 Droplet

• Topic Starter
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:53 AM

Okay then, I'll try to get started on that, thanks.

Perhaps also if one isn't already in circulation, we should have a leafelt with the basics of life extension in it with simple answers to things like "what about overpopulation?" and a few Q and As.

#6 Droplet

• Topic Starter
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

I think that as my time is limited, perhaps a thread as originally proposed but then we can take quotes out of it? Scouring the whole forum for pre-existing quotes will yield no results for a long time if I'm going to be trying to do it in fifteen minute installments.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bookletoutreach, experiences, stories, real-life, leaflet, potential video, campaigning, awareness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users