• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Cold showers, ice baths and cryotherapy.

cold exposure

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

• like x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#32 Mr Serendipity

• 980 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Haha great video.

I'm annoyed that I start on hot showers and end with cold for 1-2 mins. I should man up and go cold right from the get go!

#33 jolly

• 154 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:40 AM

Hi All, Long time lurker, first time poster.

Here's a link about some Stanford researchers who've created a 'glove' to rapid cool core temperature, leading to improve recovery from exercise etc. A little hyperbolic, but interesting none the less.

"Stanford researchers' cooling glove 'better than steroids' – and helps solve physiological mystery, too

The temperature-regulation research of Stanford biologists H. Craig Heller and Dennis Grahn has led to a device that rapidly cools body temperature, greatly improves exercise recovery, and could help explain why muscles get tired."

http://news.stanford...ch-082912.html

I own one (core control cooling glove), but it's designed to help dump waste heat from the body, not cool you down below normal.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:09 AM

Well I am taking cold showers every day. Sometimes twice. They really make me feel good, I will stay for about 1-2 minutes. I have noticed a very apparent effect on my sexual drive, it is increased a lot the hours afterwards. Orgasms feel better.

I read a research report on cryo-therapy recently, cant be bothered to look it up now but the TL:DR version is that healthy subjects who endured about 1 hours of cold/day had a marked increase of brown fat around their spinal cord when examined with MRI. You needed about 1 hour, lightly dressed to get this effect.

To my disappointment they did not mention much about the molecular details.

One this that worries me is that activation of heat shock proteins via cold therapy might increase my Atherosclerosis.

#35 zompy

• 56 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:06 PM

Does anyone know in here if it recommanded to take a cold shower after a sauna?

#36 calm--

• 127 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:11 AM

I live in subtropical climate, and dont have cold water at my house. Any ideas on how to do cold shower?

#37 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:46 PM

Icecubes and icebricks in a tub. Or buy cryohelmet/cryo gloves for cancer patients.

#38 Gordo

• 45 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:09 PM

I started a thread that has some parallels to this one that people reading here might be interested in:

http://www.longecity...h-and-longevity/

Cold showers are now part of my daily regular routine, and I feel like I am benefitting tremendously from them.  A great deal of research has been published since this thread was started, about cold exposure and its metabolic/physiologic effects.

#39 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:19 PM

http://suppversity.blogspot.it/

#40 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:58 AM

Aconita,

I suppose you mean this one. Interesting!

http://suppversity.b...ctive-what.html

#41 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:47 AM

Yes, indeed, no idea why my link doesn't lead to the intended page...

Thanks!

• Good Point x 1

#42 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:47 AM

cold showers arent beneficial. the only benefit is because it uses your nutrients to speed up your metabolism. which you dont want.

• Ill informed x 3
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#43 Olivia Fair

• 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:48 PM

Never take ice baths.

I love cold showers upon waking up, and contrast showers after training. Feels like the benefit comes from increased bloodflow. Anytime I've been diligent about doing them everyday for a prolonged period, my training has always gone better.

#44 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 December 2021 - 12:56 PM

Humans are meant for slighly above in warm temperatures. ice baths temporary affect metabolism hence the person breaths quickly the first few seconds in.

• Ill informed x 2
  • unsure x 1

#45 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 09:32 AM

Since I cycled off Nicotine, I've been taking freezing cold showers in the mornings for a hit of adrenalin to start the day.
I thought I'd test my cold tolerance (and shock my neighbors) by taking a 5-minute stroll around the block in freezing, snowy weather wearing nothing but gym shorts (a speedo was considered - but I didn't want to be quite that scandalous).

Regular cold shock therapy is a totally underrated mindset hack. A chance to push through your mind's resistance to getting outside your comfort zone. Rationally you know that a little cold isn't going to kill you, but your body is screaming at you to go back to comfort. It's a chance to have a daily victory over irrational fear along with being a consummate biohack with a multitude of longevity-promoting effects - which are explained in Ben Greenfield's 1100-page book, Boundless, that I'm reading. Few things will make you feel as alive as shivering your ass off for a few minutes daily.

24e9525760245fcd3de2703a52d262cd.jpg

#46 Galaxyshock

• 1,462 posts

Posted 12 March 2024 - 11:15 AM

Would like to try cryotherapy, I saw a tv-document of Finnish biohackers doing cryotherapy in a chamber.

I try to have freezing cold showers after my sauna sessions, indeed does have quite an effect and helps with my skin problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users