• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Metaman by Gregory Stock

metaman global superorganism man and machine gregory stock

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Metaman by Gregory Stock, a new book about the merging of man an machine. Nothing new for most people here, but a nice optimistic read about the future.

My main concern with the man-machine superorganism is the potential lack of diversity. Monolithic systems tend to suffer catastrophic collapses. Diverse complex systems are more robust.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:08 AM

Metaman by Gregory Stock, a new book about the merging of man an machine. Nothing new for most people here, but a nice optimistic read about the future.

My main concern with the man-machine superorganism is the potential lack of diversity. Monolithic systems tend to suffer catastrophic collapses. Diverse complex systems are more robust.

But Metaman is diverse, since it's made up of all the diverse connected people. I guess the lack of diversity at the moment is that most of them are running windows... I guess the immune system on the hardware side is pretty good, though, since we haven't had the whole thing melt down (too far, anyway) yet.

It's another pointing out of the Global Brain sort of thing that Teilhard de Chardin first described. (He was thinking about the Singularity before it had a name.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users