• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Simulated?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 A941

• 1,027 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

What do you think about that:

Evidence for something?

#2 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:34 AM

LOL, I have been entertaining the same idea for several years already, but have not quite taken it seriously myself. Until very recently. In fact, instead of dismissing it, with time I grow more and more convinced that life is a program, which, of course, implies that the universe is a computer.

I see parallels between the history of the Internet and our creation stories and believe that the Net is a new, evolving world, which in time will be populated by intelligent beings who, in time, will too create a world. And so on. It's a relay. In this context, life is the desire for novelty of experience and its evolution is evolution of worlds. They are all computer-like in essence.

No other creation story makes more sense to me. I am glad to find out that I am not alone and others seriously talk about the same thing -?! I see Lee Smolin is there too, on the other side of the debate. Wanna go see the rest of that talk.

Thanks for posting it.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

The whole talk is here: 2011 Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate: The Theory of Everything

At ~1:34:15 Dr. S. James Gates, Jr. tells more when answering the question from the audience.

And the popular write up was printed in Physics World magazine in June 2010, titled Symbols of Power.

Edited by xEva, 18 October 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#4 DAMABO

• 181 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

Can you define program, life, computer and universe?

#5 A941

• Topic Starter
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

Just some mathematical coincidents or more?
Its outright frightening to think about it...
A cold not caring universe, where things happen by chance and all the things we call evil/bad are just so because of that, such an universe is not such a big problem as far as we can do ours to change it, but an universe which was designed with all that in mind is a horrible idea.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#6 A941

• Topic Starter
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Anything new on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users