• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Opinion poll: correct pronunciation of 'Piracetam' and 'Nootropic'?

piracetam nootropic pronounce

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Pronunciation (49 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you pronounce 'Piracetam'?

1. Pie Rass Uh Tam (12 votes [24.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.49%

2. Pie Race Uh Tam (3 votes [6.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.12%

3. Pee Rass Uh Tam (6 votes [12.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.24%

4. Pee Race Uh Tam (1 votes [2.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.04%

5. Pie Ray See Tam (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Pie Rass See Tum (1 votes [2.04%] - View)

7. Pie Ruh See Tum (1 votes [2.04%] - View)

8. Pie Ruh Set Tam (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Other (please explain in post) (6 votes [12.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.24%

10. Pur Ass Uh Tam (10 votes [20.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.41%

11. Pur Ass uh Tum (3 votes [6.12%] - View)

12. Peer Ass Uh Tam (3 votes [6.12%] - View)

13. Peer Ass Uh Tum (2 votes [4.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

14. Pie Ras Se Tam (1 votes [2.04%] - View)

How do you pronounce 'Nootropic'?

1. Noh Uh Troh Pick (15 votes [30.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.61%

2. New Troh Pick (18 votes [36.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.73%

3. Noh Uh Traw Pick (2 votes [4.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

4. New Traw Pick (10 votes [20.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.41%

5. Other (Please explain in post) (4 votes [8.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LBGSHI

• 347 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

As there has been contention about this topic for some time (and as I'm still awaiting the results of my query to UCB, the company at which both of these terms were coined originally some 50 years ago), I've been nudged to create a poll concerning the correct pronunciation of the words 'Piracetam' and 'Nootropic'.

Please respond to the poll, and if you've responded 'Other', or if you have anything relevant to contribute otherwise, post in this thread. Otherwise, let's keep posts to a minimum and votes to a maximum, so the results are simple and readable :)

Edited by Mind, 03 December 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#2 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Pur ah set ahm

Noo tro pick -- noo like in 'book'

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Acetylnordopatoninol

• 24 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

I've been pronouncing it Peer Uh See Tum.
  • like x 1

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

I have been pronouncing it peer asa tam.

Should we add "peer" or "pur" choices in the poll, considering that most people pronounce it that way (according to the other thread that started this discussion)?

Edited by Mind, 03 December 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#5 LBGSHI

• Topic Starter
  • 347 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

I did include both "Pee Rass Uh Tam" (which looks to be the same as your pronunciation) and "Pee Race Uh Tam"; I only used "pee rass" rather than "peer ass" because I deemed 'pee' less giggle-inducing than 'ass' - is there a reason why 'peer ass' makes more sense than 'pee rass'?

As for 'pur', I simply missed that. I'm unable to edit this poll; if you are able to, please add 'pur' options.

#6 Mind

• 19,055 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

"Pee Rass" and "peer ass" are distinctly different in english so I think we should include it in the poll. Sure, some people might giggle, but the intent is to communicate the best possible pronunciation I will edit the poll to include the opitions.

If one of the new pronunciations fits better, you can delete your vote and vote again.

I voted for peer ass uh tam.

#7 Hip

• 2,396 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

The correct pronunciation of piracetam is:

PIE RAS SE TAM (SE as in SEcond)

with the stress on the second syllable.

It is given in audio form in these three dictionaries:

http://www.merriam-w...onary/piracetam
http://www.howjsay.c...?word=piracetam
http://www.forvo.com/word/piracetam/

The correct pronunciation of nootropic is:

NOAH TRO PICK (NOAH as in Noah's Ark, and TRO rhyming with GO)

http://www.merriam-w...onary/nootropic
http://www.howjsay.c...?word=nootropic
http://www.forvo.com/word/nootropic/
  • like x 2

#8 LBGSHI

• Topic Starter
  • 347 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

"Pee Rass" and "peer ass" are distinctly different in english so I think we should include it in the poll. Sure, some people might giggle, but the intent is to communicate the best possible pronunciation I will edit the poll to include the opitions.

Thanks. Still, I don't see how "Pee Rass Uh Tam" and "Peer Ass Uh Tam" could be different when spoken aloud, given that one doesn't really pause between those syllables. I would challenge anyone to produce an audio recording of them saying both of these, and to explain how they sound different. As a result of (what I perceive as) identical pronunciation between these two, it's likely that poll results will split in two that group of people pronouncing the word this way...which would skew in favor of the other major contender, "Pie Rass Uh Tam".

The correct pronunciation of piracetam is:

PIE RAS SE TAM (SE as in SEcond)

It is given in audio form in these three dictionaries:

http://www.merriam-w...onary/piracetam
http://www.howjsay.c...?word=piracetam
http://www.forvo.com/word/piracetam/

The correct pronunciation of nootropic is:

NOAH TRO PICK (NOAH as in Noah's Ark, and TRO rhyming with GO)

http://www.merriam-w...onary/nootropic
http://www.howjsay.c...?word=nootropic
http://www.forvo.com/word/nootropic/

I agree; I've been aware of those dictionary references for some time, and have been pronouncing both words accordingly. However, it seems that about half the community pronounces these words in other ways, and coupled with the prevalence of the pseudonym 'noot' for 'nootropic' (which implies that 'nootropic' begins with a 'new' sound), it's an issue that bears resolving. Thanks for your post.

Edited by LBGSHI, 03 December 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#9 Hip

• 2,396 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

I agree; I've been aware of those dictionary references for some time, and have been pronouncing both words accordingly. However, it seems that about half the community pronounces these words in other ways, and coupled with the prevalence of the pseudonym 'noot' for 'nootropic' (which implies that 'nootropic' begins with a 'new' sound), it's an issue that bears resolving. Thanks for your post.

Perhaps then an effort needs to be made in these forums to occasionally include a note on the correct pronunciation when we use these words in a post, so that people can learn the right pronunciation.

Nootropic can definitely only begin with a NOAH pronunciation for the noo- bit, as this noo- prefix is from the Greek for "mind", and other words that use this same noo- prefix also tend to have the same pronunciation of NOAH. Eg: noosphere, noological, noocracy.

Edited by Hip, 03 December 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#10 LBGSHI

• Topic Starter
  • 347 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Nootropic can definitely only begin with a NOAH pronunciation for the noo- bit, as this noo- prefix is from the Greek for "mind", and other words that use this same noo- prefix also tend to have the same pronunciation of NOAH. Eg: noosphere, noological, noocracy.

Exactly the point I made in this post: http://www.longecity...ic/#entry549048

Incidentally, the above-referenced thread (which I unfortunately mis-typed the title of) was what spawned this opinion poll; it still stands in case I get a response from UCB, which I would consider conclusive (rather than opinion-based). Still, several reputable dictionaries citing the same pronunciation does of course speak volumes about the most likely correct pronunciations.

Edited by LBGSHI, 03 December 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#11 Hip

• 2,396 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

LBGSHI, do you have any knowledge about why the double-o in words like noosphere and nootropic is pronounced O-AH?

You also have a double-o pronounced as O-AH in the word zoonotic (a word which describes diseases passed between humans and animals), this word being pronounced ZO-AH NOTIC.

Edited by Hip, 03 December 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#12 LBGSHI

• Topic Starter
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

LBGSHI, do you have any knowledge about why the double-o in words like noosphere and nootropic is pronounced O-AH?

I assume it's related to Greek syllabic structure. For example, the name of the Greek god 'Kronos' is pronounced 'Crone Ose' (as in 'Dose' in English or 'Dos' in Spanish). The suffix '-os' is quite common in Greek, and is almost always pronounced this way. In 'Noosphere', we've taken the Greek word 'Noos', with prefix 'No-' and suffix '-os', and used the entire word as a prefix, followed by the suffix '-sphere', which we've also allowed to share the 's' from 'Noos'. This might lead someone to pronounce the word 'New Sphere', but this would be incorrect. Unfortunately, English is a constantly evolving language, which borrows heavily from other languages, and thus pronunciations are not always phonetic (though one could argue that these words are not necessarily English, I believe the majority of the words starting with the prefix 'Noo-' were created in English-speaking countries by English speakers, intended for an English-speaking audience).

Edited by LBGSHI, 04 December 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#13 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

I am surprised no one suggested "piracetam" be pronounced as pla·ce·bo

[pluh-see-boh

].
  • like x 1

#14 LBGSHI

• Topic Starter
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:57 AM

[pluh-see-boh

].

Yeah. I guess it must be all those clinical studies proving it to be an effective nootropic that get in the way of good old fashioned, closed-mindedness.

#15 Hip

• 2,396 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

[pluh-see-boh

].

Piracetam is either one of of those drugs that works for you with amazing effect, or else it does nothing. For the majority of people who try it, it appears to do nothing. Hence the view these people get that piracetam is all hype.

But if piracetam works for you (and it certainly does for me), the cognitive boost is very noticeable.

If you do try piracetam, make sure you take it with the co-factors choline bitartrate, and vitamin B5, to get the best effects.

It is quite quite clear the effects of piracetam are real, because the cognitive boost lingers for several days to weeks after you stop taking it. Hence it cannot be placebo, because at that stage you are not even taking a pill. I have not had this lingering occur with any other nootropic.

Edited by Hip, 05 December 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#16 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

My sarcasm may be somewhat misplaced, but it is partially on target. The family of "nootopic" supplements first member was piracetam. Curiously its effective rate among users is about 30%, the same as placebos. That the effect lingers, or seems to linger, could also hold for a placebo. People who say the can recognize and discount placebos, are often the most susceptible to them, myself included.

Other members of the family are perhaps more effective. They are thought to act by acting on glutamate receptors if I recall, improving the ability to form new memories, i.e. to learn new material. Cortex Pharmaceuticals screened them, and found aniracetam* to have the greatest effect on the receptors, then set out to develop more effective substances: CX-546, CX-516, and CX-614. These are not available, except from underground sources such as dicey Chinese pharma companies and renegade lab techs, and even then I have my doubts. I would bet that the better your memory, the less likely you are to notice an improvement with these things; they have not exactly become a cash-cow for their developers.

* I have had inconsistent experiences with aniracetam, and nothing from piracetam even with the cofactors. The first time I thought aniracetam was great. Later, and different suppliers, not so much even when I returned to the original source.

#17 Hip

• 2,396 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

People who say the can recognize and discount placebos, are often the most susceptible to them, myself included.

I have tested dozens of smart drugs and supplements, and what I find is that before trying them, you don't even know what the particular cognitive benefits will be for each individual dug or supplement. You only tend to observe the benefits sometimes months later, while engaging in particular cognitive tasks.

For example, I initially thought acetyl-L-carnitine was a useless smart supplement in my case — until one time I tried it while I was writing an essay. I then noticed, just out of the blue, that ALC enhanced my word selection abilities (finding the precise word to describe what your are writing about). Had I not been writing an essay, I would never have discovered this subtle effect. I later found out that ALC has been proven to affect verbal IQ.

Sometimes I found a smart drug or supplement would consistently cause a very negative effect; again, this tends to indicate that you can become aware of the true effects of the drug, since the placebo ("I will please") effect is the expectation of a good effect, not a bad. The fact that, contrary to expectation you can reliably observe a bad effect is again indication that your perception is not clouded by the placebo effect, though no doubt there will always be some placebo effect present.

I know that whenever I am about to try new smart drug or supplement, this invariably puts mew into a more optimistic, more hopeful mood, even before I take the pill. That's a kind of placebo effect; it is down to the expectation of a benefit. However, in cases where the supposed benefit effect turned out to be a negative effect, I seemed able to become aware of it. One smart drug I tried unexpectedly caused significant depression, as an example of a negative effect.

I have always done a lot of mindfulness meditation, and I think this helps you develop a better "inner eye", that is, a better viewpoint and connection to your own mind, which then increases the sensitivity and subtleness of self observation in any of these cognitive experiments.

Mindfulness meditation also significantly improves the subtly of your intelligence anyway, I find, and I would rate doing regular mindfulness meditation as a very effective cognitive enhancer just on its own.

Edited by Hip, 05 December 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#18 LBGSHI

• Topic Starter
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

The difference between piracetam and a placebo is that piracetam has been proven to cause biochemical changes in the human brain, specifically linked to acetylcholine and glucose utilization, which are proven to affect cognitive ability. If some people do not experience subjectively improved cognitive ability (or any subjectively noticeable effect at all), this could be due to many factors, including secondary ones (insufficient acetylcholine in the first place, insufficient glucose, insufficiency of other relevant biochemical substances, sleep deprivation, bad diet, inability to distinguish slight variation in cognitive function, etc). Also, it must be noted that piracetam has not been linked to increased intelligence - none of the 'racetams are claimed (by any mainstream source) to "make you smarter". Instead, piracetam increases efficiency in certain areas of cognitive function, and increases activity across the corpus callosum, between the two hemispheres of the brain, which seems to alter the way you think, not necessarily how well you think. Each of the 'racetams seems to affect cognition in different ways, and yes, some people seem to perceive, or indeed receive, little to no effect from one or more of the 'racetams, for various reasons.

#19 Mind

• 19,055 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

I am surprised so many people pronounce nootropic "new-troh-pic".

#20 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

I am surprised nobody has addressed the obvious question of which syllable is stressed. Is it

puh-RASS-uh-tuhm

or

puh-ruh-SEE-tuhm?

I would suspect North Americans would prefer the first and British/Australians/South-Africans/Indians would prefer the second. Somewhat like uh-LOO-muh-nuhm in America as opposed to uh-luh-MEE-niuhm in Britain, or LAB-ruh-to-ry in America as opposed to luh-BO-ruh-try in Britain.

Edited by viveutvivas, 05 December 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#21 Hip

• 2,396 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

I am surprised nobody has addressed the obvious question of which syllable is stressed. Is it

puh-RASS-uh-tuhm

or

puh-ruh-SEE-tuhm?

I would suspect North Americans would prefer the first and British/Australians/South-Africans/Indians would prefer the second. Somewhat like uh-LOO-muh-nuhm in America as opposed to uh-luh-MEE-niuhm in Britain, or LAB-ruh-to-ry in America as opposed to luh-BO-ruh-try in Britain.

Both "piracetam" and "nootropic" have their stress on the second syllable. See dictionary definitions given further above.

#22 LBGSHI

• Topic Starter
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

I am surprised so many people pronounce nootropic "new-troh-pic".

I believe this is influenced by a few companies and individuals using the abbreviation 'noot'...and this abbreviation having spread.

puh-RASS-uh-tuhm

or

puh-ruh-SEE-tuhm?

I had considered syllabic stress, but wasn't sure I wanted to include that in the poll just yet - perhaps in a subsequent poll.

Incidentally, Merriam-Webster's audio pronunciation of 'piracetam' seems to have been spoken by a non-American (British?) speaker, and it was still "Pie RASS Uh Tam".

#23 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Both "piracetam" and "nootropic" have their stress on the second syllable. See dictionary definitions given further above.

Maybe in American English. What does the Oxford say about the British pronounciation? I don't have a subscription.

#24 LBGSHI

• Topic Starter
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Incidentally, Merriam-Webster's audio pronunciation of 'piracetam' seems to have been spoken by a non-American (British?) speaker, and it was still "Pie RASS Uh Tam".

Ack; correction - it's howjsay.com that has a British pronunciation matching the above. Merriam-Webster uses an American pronunciation, also as the above.

#25 Hip

• 2,396 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

The www.howjsay.com dictionary gives British English pronunciation:

Pronunciation of piracetam - how to pronounce piracetam correctly.

#26 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

The www.howjsay.com dictionary gives British English pronunciation:

Pronunciation of piracetam - how to pronounce piracetam correctly.

Oh, excuse me while I play the grand piano. :)

#27 Hip

• 2,396 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Actually, it seems that www.howjsay.com gives both US and UK pronunciations, in cases when they diverge.

For example, for "tomato", it gives both the UK "Tom ah toe" and the US "Tom ate toe"

Pronunciation of tomato - how to pronounce tomato correctly.

#28 lifebuddy

• 156 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Noo (as in moo goes the cow) + Tropic (as in tropic of cancer)

#29 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

The option: Why do only english speakers have this problem? is missing :laugh:
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 LBGSHI

• Topic Starter
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

The option: Why do only english speakers have this problem? is missing :laugh:

Heh, yeah...because our language is one of the unfortunate ones in which almost every word is subject to mispronunciation :)

Spanish, Russian (German?), and many other languages are almost entirely composed of words which can only be pronounced one way...what a blessing that must be.

Edited by LBGSHI, 04 February 2013 - 09:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users