Photo
- - - - -

Fish Oil Supplements:

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 nofool

• 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:26 PM

The public is increasingly turning to fish oil supplements as a source of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. But which major U.S. producers of fish oil supplements purify their products to reduce or remove contaminants like mercury and dioxins?

Environmental Defense solicited information from 54 companies (more details on the criteria we used to evaluate companies and our results). Their responses indicate that the majority are purifying their fish oils to meet stringent safety standards. (More on seafood and health.)

http://www.oceansali...ort=Company&a=e

#2 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 11:19 PM

I find your information interesting. You have valuable information and I appreciate your contribution. Assuming you get banned here again, do you frequent another forum?

Thank you,

-John

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 exigentsky

• 262 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:32 AM

" The public is increasingly turning to fish oil supplements as a source of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. But which major U.S. producers of fish oil supplements purify their products to reduce or remove contaminants like mercury and dioxins?"

Xtend-Life's Fish Oil supplement is the best I found in terms of purity. It is also more efficient than the usual fish oil supplements because the oil is already in the form of an ester, the natural form an oil is converted to by the body.

However, it is a bit an the expensive side.

Read about it here: http://xtend-life.co...ct=oe&page=main

You may also be interested in these news letters about fish oil:

1. http://xtend-life.co...e=42&nltype=xyl
2. http://xtend-life.co...e=80&nltype=xyl

I hope that helps. :)

#4 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:25 PM

Sorry, their analysis of price is ridiculously flawed, they totally ignore the EPA fraction of the oil, which we know is not a worthless component. Furthermore, they don't mention the % of rancid oils, which is a key component of buying a good fish oil. Also, they don't mention who tests it.

Nordic Naturals is the superior fish oil supplier in the world. They distill and then independently test their product 3 times. They consistenltly have the lowest level of rancid fats in their oils. They even sponsored a clinical trial of their oil, something very few supplement companies ever bother to do.

#5 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:53 PM

Do you suspect Costco's Kirkland Signature fish oil to be OK?

#6 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:00 PM

Umm, may I ask why did you create the topic twice in different forums nofool...?

Here is the second one: http://www.imminst.o...6&t=6158&hl=&s=

[huh]

~Infernity

#7 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 05:35 PM

The Costco Kirkland brand does not state that it is either pharmaceutical grade or molecularly distilled which is what has to happen to leave the pollutants behind essentially. I don't trust that study that nofool posted (aka nootropik who was banned basically for going quite manic and spamming multiple threads with garbage which may explain things to you, infernity, if I got that all correct. I understand that nofool has been banned also.). Besides, the low concentration of the EPA and DHA in the Kirkland capsules makes it not that appealing.

I hadn't heard of rancid oils being a consideration. Can anyone give a quick URL on this?

The Trader Joes caps I take are labeled as being molecularly distilled and the concentrations of the EPA/DHA are twice that of the Kirkland caps. The Costco caps appear to be the cheapest except perhaps when considering their low concentration. I've scanned in the front label of the Trader Joes brand and put it on my web site here: http://home.pacbell..../tjsfishoil.jpg . They're $6 a bottle for 90 caps.

#8 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:03 PM

Kirkland has a high concentration Fish oil cap, only available in stores. Their fish oil is molecularly distilled, they purchase from Leinert(sp).

Regarding rancidity, it is a huge problem in fish and fish oil. Unsaturated fats are very susceptible to oxidation, omega-3s are unsat fat. Fresh fish doesn't smell fishy because the oils are unspoiled, however just like fish goes bad so does fish oil. Take one of your caps and cut it open and see what it smells like. However, even if it doesn't smell rancid, it could still have elevated levels of the 1st step in oil oxidation, peroxide. Fatty acid hydroperoxides are being discovered to be mutagenic, in addition to their inflammatory effects. Since fish oil works most of its wonders through suppressing inflammation, taking rancid fish oil doesn't seem like a good idea.

Edited by lynx, 27 April 2005 - 07:23 PM.

#9 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:11 PM

Hmmm. Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing the Kirkland brand outside of Costco. Which stores, lynx?

#10 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:19 PM

Recently I was turned on to the idea of an Zone/Omega 3 diet, and after reading a book about it, found that one needed to get pharmaceutical grade fish oil because when consuming larger quantities of fish oil, as required by this diet, the impurities could begin to affect you. That got me thinking, if the impurities could begin to affect you at higher dosages, who's to say what even a lower intake of generic quality fish oil will do to you over the long term?

I'm currently still in the process of trying to find the best pharmaceutical grade fish oil out there. This thread should prove handy. [thumb] Keep the info flowing guys.

#11 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:23 PM

Hmmm. Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing the Kirkland brand outside of Costco. Which stores, lynx?

\
What I meant was you can't get it from Costco online, only in stores.

#12 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:28 PM

Don if you want the best oil there is, buy Nordic. No doubt.

#13 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:31 PM

Oh. Been trying to stay aware of Costco's offerings but hadn't seen a high concentration version. I walked down the aisle of supplements the other day, I had two kids with me and really didn't look all that intently. Will look more closely next time I'm at the warehouse within the next week or so. Didn't even know they had an online outlet either. Thanks for the info.

#14 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:35 PM

Yessiree Bob! Infernity, take heed, better source of a liquid version than that last URL I gave you. Got to do some figuring now. Thanks loads lynx.

http://www.nordicnat...om/fish_oil.asp

#15 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:38 PM

Hmm thanks Chip...

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#16 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:43 PM

I use the http://www.codlivero...home/index.html

Seven seas Pure cod liver oil High strength

is that bad? :S

#17 Chip

• 387 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:13 PM

Hmm, looks like that http://www.codlivero...ngth/index.html is pretty low concentration of the essential fatty acids and I see no mention of vitamin A content which is something you have to look out for in cod liver oil.

#18 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:35 PM

There have been reports of heavy metal impurities in cod liver oil (forget if it was mercury) so I would not use that.

#19 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:49 PM

Hmmm, I have been taking it for a while and have noticed improved skin tone, better concerntration etc.. I also used to get a lot of headaches for weeks. Seems to have gone now. Probably related to stress.

Heres whats on the bottle

10ml Cod Liver Oil ( Omega 3 2450mg of which EPA AND DHA 1900mg - RDA of vitiman A, D and E )

Could you keep a look out for information on seven seas cod liver oil... I can't find any bad reports on it

Edited by Matt, 27 April 2005 - 09:05 PM.

#20 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:55 PM

Guys, don't take more than about 4000 mg of pure Omega-3 per day, that may make you bleed... As long as I know, it is preventing blood clots that may be dangerous, and block an artery which in the worst case may cause death... (If you get a heat attack and not get to hospital in time). However- too much Omega-3 may make your blood barely cause to congeal at all- might make you bleed.

Moreover- vitamin A is also not good in high dosages...! I'd say be very careful with vitamin A.

Beware

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#21 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:59 PM

heres something about Cod liver oil

"One concern about taking cod liver oil is the presence of contaminantsheavy metals (such as mercury, cadmium and lead), PCBs and so forth. Fortunately, consumers need not worry when it comes to cod liver oil. All cod liver oils in the US must be tested according to protocols of the Association of Analytical Communities (AOAC) and approved free of detectable levels of 32 contaminants before they can be imported into this country. Furthermore, mercury is water soluble. It may be present in the flesh of fish, but it is not present in the oil."

#22 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:07 PM

Ray and terry recommends

Vitamin A

Men - 3,330 IU RDA
Men - 5,000 to 10,000 ( optimal nutritional allowance )

How much vit A can be damaging?

#23 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:09 PM

Infernity

Guys, don't take more than about 4000 mg of pure Omega-3 per day, that may make you bleed... As long as I know, it is preventing blood clots that may be dangerous, and block an artery which in the worst case may cause death...

Yes, I have read similar information. The book I read about the Zone/Omega 3 diet listed between 2000 and 2500 mg as the optimal daily dosage.

#24 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:41 AM

I take Nordic Naturals. It's good stuff.

#25 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:54 AM

Yes, I have read similar information. The book I read about the Zone/Omega 3 diet listed between 2000 and 2500 mg as the optimal daily dosage.

Hmm, well Don, I take more...
I take 3 capsules per day- 1450 mg, 1000 mg from it is Omega 3; and I eat salmon fish pretty much I'd say...
Maybe I should take only 2 capsules. Yeah I think I am too small physically for so much Omega 3. Not like I have attention problems either.

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#26 haveblue

• 66 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:45 AM

I prefer either Trader Joe's Omega 3 or Puritains Pride Super Omega 3. Both have 300mg/200mg ALA/DHA per 1000mg capsule respectively, which is good potency compared to most.

#27 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:11 PM

My Omega 3:
components: fish oil (GMO FREE).
capsule: gelatin, glycerine, water.
heftiness of every capsule 1450 mg among it 1000 mg deep cold water fish oil among it 18% EPA, 12% DHA, 1 (mg) vitamin E.

~Infernity

#28 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:36 AM

I AM TOTALLY SPECULATING HERE.

IMHO, Fish oil and any other Omega 3s (flax etc) should not have any smell at all. "If the sushi smells, don't eat it."

I also think they should be able not to freeze, but i am not so sure about this.

This is also what I speculate and I am not some product manufacturer. I am just really surprised that AOR has no preservatives (listed), I wonder if vitamin E could be a preservative or something else. Also AOR's pruduct has air-pockets in the capsules. I think Air is bad in a pill. And it also says to refrigerate EPA brite. Also, Avant Labs Sesathin fluid has turned to sludge. The flax, sesame, sun-flower seeds all that oil goes bad even while still in the seeds. My flax/sesame/sunflower/pumkin omega 3 bottles I buy elsewhere can get sludgy fast.

I think if it were regulated by the FOOD and drug administration it might have more to answer to, perhaps? Or does it still have to have the same standards?

My next purchase will be EPA nordic naturals if the price is right because of the good posters here.

I am going to assume people may be selling snake oil and not fish oil until proven otherwise.

Sorry AOR for disrespecting you if I am wrong. Your product smells really fishy. I don't think it should smell. I am open to be proven wrong. Also, I am open to any retort from Avant and would take any criticism respectfully.

#29 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:54 AM

I do like http://www.iherb.com/omega3mood.html (someone posted that) besides nordic naturals which might not be in my budget. Now that a trader joes is down the street, I might have to buy there.

Pinball

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 12:52 PM

Hey Pinball,

Since when Omega 3 pills have smell?

Moreover, I think that food should have smell. That's part of it inseparable in my opinion...

Yours
~Infernity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users