Broccoli anti depression?

uridine deactylase histones estrogen indole

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 anagram

• 339 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

Hello,

I am very interested in longevity and have purchased > $200 in supplements to augment my thinking ability.
Despite my hours of research and money wasted many of the supplements I have only partially helped my thinking ability,
and none of the supplements I have used compare in terms of benefit to Broccoli.
Any other personal experiences with broccoli being the best "supplement"?

Edited by anagram, 15 February 2013 - 02:38 AM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

It is a super food, of course. If broccoli is an anti-depressant then I should be a fairly positive fellow since I grow it and eat it all the time, almost everyday

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Is broccoli by any chance an anti-psychotic?
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#4 spermidine

• 191 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

i ate broccoli a lot once and tested high for estrogen on a test. testosterone was completely abolished it seemed. i didnt feel bad or anything but definately not competetive or agressive i have noticed. anyway, it went back to normal after i stopped. i wouldnt recomend broccoli for men under the age of 50 and i think people who do recomend young male adults consume broccoli are quite irrensponsible in their advices. after all, broccoli in its high extract is cytotoxic, beyond just cancer, but any cells. not sure why people do not research more before giving harmful advices.
  • dislike x 3
  • like x 2

#5 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

i ate broccoli a lot once and tested high for estrogen on a test. testosterone was completely abolished it seemed. i didnt feel bad or anything but definately not competetive or agressive i have noticed. anyway, it went back to normal after i stopped. i wouldnt recomend broccoli for men under the age of 50 and i think people who do recomend young male adults consume broccoli are quite irrensponsible in their advices. after all, broccoli in its high extract is cytotoxic, beyond just cancer, but any cells. not sure why people do not research more before giving harmful advices.

Could you provided some backup to your statement? All I could find was it's protective properties. I've been eating broccoli regularly foe years and daily for the past few months. Recent blood tests have shown to significant abnormalties including thyroid levels, test, est...

#6 spermidine

• 191 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:42 AM

its personal experience. it lowered my test levels (because cruceferous food has lots of estrogen like effects) and it did screw with my thyroid too. of course i doubt everyone will have same results but i did read many people did experience similar side effects from regular consumption of broccoli. it also contains oxalates and some other not so friendly compounds related to goat and kidney stones. i would not advise kids consume too much of broccoli and i dont like how people are so ignorant concentrating only on the positive effects.

let me ask you, what is your reason for consuming it regularly anyway ? if you are young and healthy, you dont have a reason to. besides simple google research will demonstrate that only really potent highly concentrated extracts of broccoli are anti-cancerious in both prevention and perhaps maybe some healing. again, people are too ignorant and ignore this and just keep eating their broccoli as if thats any beneficial.
  • dislike x 4
  • like x 3

#7 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

what about moderation?

#8 spermidine

• 191 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

why was i voted down because i shared my experience with it ? either some troll lurks on the forum voting people down for fun or someone is really in love with broccoli that hates me now for talking bad about it :(
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#9 anagram

• Topic Starter
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

I have anger issues so I really need to eat my veggies, regardless of if they hurt you or not.
Scientists agree that Broccoli is health promoting and safe, however I personally believe it to be stress reducing as well.

#10 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

why was i voted down because i shared my experience with it ?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it was because you made a bunch of unsubstantiated statements that some people might view as misinformation, and you called people ignorant. (twice). It wasn't me... just my observations.
  • like x 1

#11 spermidine

• 191 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

i made statements based on my personal experience with it and also there many facts googling broccoli and estrogen and/or oxates and relation to kidney stones and gout. either way, you guys eat it all you want, sorry for picking on the amazing broccoli.

I have anger issues so I really need to eat my veggies, regardless of if they hurt you or not.
Scientists agree that Broccoli is health promoting and safe, however I personally believe it to be stress reducing as well.

it didnt reduce any stress in me or anyone reporting on eating it. now thats misinformation !
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#12 freeman

• 16 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

How's your mineral intake aside from broccoli? Could be that you're just getting way more dietary potassium/magnesium/calcium than you had been.

I assume you must be eating broccoli on the regular? Have you tried substituting another superfood-y vegetable for it for a period to see if you'd get the same perceived benefit?

#13 tadgh78

• 16 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

I eat at least a head of Broccolli every day and usually two heads without noticing any ill-effects. While I haven't had my testerone levels tested; I will say that I'm just as hairy and virile as I ever was :P

Now, when I used to take half a tab of finestride a day it was a different matter. That drug had immediate negative effects on both the strenght and frequency of my errections, which I must say dismayed me greatly. After going off finestride everything returned to normal (thankfully).

If dayly Broccolli is affecting my testerone levels I must say I haven't noticed it; the effect must be marginal at most, at least in my case.

#14 spermidine

• 191 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

tadgh78 thats because you consume quite little. it has no benefit or side effect at the amount you consume. perhaps its just for taste you do it.
its a common knowledge i thought that crussiferous vegetables are estrogenic. simple google search reveals it. and ill tell you it only has effect if you consume a lot regularly. just one or two a day is neither benefecial or negative in effect.

Edited by spermidine, 04 April 2013 - 06:59 PM.

• dislike x 3
  • like x 2

#15 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

You tell people its bad for them then berate them for eating too little? How would you categorize this type of post? Because longecity seems to be overrun with "air is bad for you" type posts and its reducing the value of spending time here.
  • like x 3
  • dislike x 1

#16 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

AFAIK, broccoli actually raises testosterone.

In a clinical study, indole-3-carbinol cut the largely female hormone estradiol in half for men. “Broccoli contains high levels of indoles, food compounds that help reduce bad estrogen,

(Source: http://www.simplyshr...ting-foods.html) (it's not scientific source, I don't find the actual article right now)
And I really find that this is true - I feel more "manly" and arouse sexually faster, but it may be just a placebo (but in this case it is really good placebo :))

#17 matthewebbert

• 21 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

Broccoli has proved to be very beneficial to fight cancer. this is the only thing i know about it..

#18 spermidine

• 191 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

Broccoli has proved to be very beneficial to fight cancer. this is the only thing i know about it..

in extremely high amounts in extract forms. it is said to be cytotoxic (any cell cancerious or not) but i guess people's ignorance reigns
  • dislike x 5

#19 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

can you back up your claims with studies?

#20 DR01D

• 193 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

I eat broccoli every day but not heaping piles of the stuff. Just a few pieces with lunch and dinner.

A well balanced, low calorie diet is the smartest choice you can make.

Edited by DR01D, 05 April 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#21 anagram

• Topic Starter
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

DIM 3,3-diindolylmethane is present itself in Broccoli in addition to its Invivo and Invitro precursor Indole-3-carbinol.
DIM is a Partial agonist at CB2
http://www.ncbi.nlm....553/table/tbl2/
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2931553/
-This is one of the mechanisms which DIM and Indole 3 carbinol (I3C) exerts anticancer effects.

Edited by anagram, 06 April 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#22 tydi

• 25 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

DIM 3,3-diindolylmethane is present itself in Broccoli in addition to its Invivo and Invitro precursor Indole-3-carbinol.
DIM is a Partial agonist at CB2
http://www.ncbi.nlm....553/table/tbl2/
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2931553/
-This is one of the mechanisms which DIM and Indole 3 carbinol (I3C) exerts anticancer effects.

Thank you for this, it will be pleasantly viewed :~

I have always liked feeling full after eating a meal with lots of broccoli, and clearly not only is it just filling. Interesting to see how it works at the CB2 levels and has a very high score for fullness.

#23 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

I don't like it but eat it almost every day.

However, I must say that I tried a DIM supplement a few weeks ago but had to stop it because it made me feel profoundly depressed.

#24 medspa

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

The increased presence of these overly reactive molecules can do damage to many parts of our cells, including their genetic material (and especially their deoxyribonucleic acid, or DNA). Over time, the constant and cumulative DNA damage inside our cells can pose a major risk factor for conversion of healthy cells into cancerous ones.

#25 Teakles

• 20 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

Quite contradictory vegetable judging from the comments :-D

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#26 truboy

• 178 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:25 AM

bump

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: uridine, deactylase, histones, estrogen, indole

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users