#1 ClarkSims

• Life Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

Is it a drug? I think of it more as a solvent- it's just a small unsaturated hydrocarbon. Is someone marketing it as a drug?

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Some previous discussion here. It's also reported to prevent dmso-breath... however my own experience is that it helps only a little, providing a more pleasant orange-breath for a short while. But it's a pretty effective cleaning solvent, especially for leather. And seems to keep my cat off the leather couch I cleaned with it.

Howard

#4 ClarkSims

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

I am sorry, I posted the wrong link. Oy vey. Sorry, that link had no relation to the subject. I am digging through my history file to try and find the correct link

#5 ClarkSims

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

Here is the correct link. http://www.dailymail...s-live-150.html

I am guessing it is basically resveratrol, adducted to something else to keep it out of the liver. I wonder if a resveritol olive oil adduct would got straight to cells where, it would be incorporated into cell membrains, and thus not be metabolized by the liver?

I wonder if resveratrol forms an adduct with olive oil?

Edited by ClarkSims, 16 March 2013 - 12:39 AM.

#6 ClarkSims

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

LPI says it is fat soluble "Resveratrol is a fat-soluble" http://lpi.oregonsta...ls/resveratrol/

One can buy it pre-dissolved in fish oil http://www.gnc.com/p...oductId=4021748

The question now becomes, after it is broken into fatty acids, goes through the small intestine wall, and reassembled into a triglyceride, put into a chylomicron, does the resveratrol stay attached the entire time, and thus avoid breakdown by the liver?

LPI says it is fat soluble "Resveratrol is a fat-soluble" http://lpi.oregonsta...ls/resveratrol/

The question now becomes, after it is broken into fatty acids, goes through the small intestine wall, and reassembled into a triglyceride, put into a chylomicron, does the resveratrol stay attached the entire time, and thus avoid breakdown by the liver?

#7 ClarkSims

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

Does anyone know of a general method of finding if something is dissolved in an oil, versus forming an adduct with the oil?

#8 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

It's just a little hype on this study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23471411

I don't think he was referring to a specific drug. In a few of the articles I've seen snips of he seemed top be referring to an assay to rapidly identify possible SIT1 activators, perhaps from resveratrol analogs with better bioavailability and predicted they'd find one within a couple of years. But they'd still need to test it in vivo to actually prove anything, like the fact that their assay is actually accurate.

Howard

Edited by hav, 16 March 2013 - 01:09 AM.

#9 ClarkSims

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:44 AM

This guy filled a patent on dissolving resveratrol in castor oil, and claims it is more bioavilable that way. He also used several other chemicals, which are included on the patent. http://www.google.co...s/US20110281957

#10 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:20 AM

Here is the correct link. http://www.dailymail...s-live-150.html

I am guessing it is basically resveratrol, adducted to something else to keep it out of the liver. I wonder if a resveritol olive oil adduct would got straight to cells where, it would be incorporated into cell membrains, and thus not be metabolized by the liver?

I wonder if resveratrol forms an adduct with olive oil?

No, like Howard said, that's just hype regarding a paper that Sinclair et al. published recently regarding the mechanism of resveratrol on Sirt1. It relates to plain resveratrol and presumably also to the many compounds they've synthesized.

I tried dissolving resveratrol in olive oil once. That went over like a lead balloon. I suppose with enough stirring, or maybe some sonication or god knows what, you could get it to dissolve to some extent. In my experience, it wasn't easy. I wonder if it's dissolved in that fish oil, or suspended? I find GNC to be a little "fishy", as a general rule. (mostly just a ripoff)

Does anyone know of a general method of finding if something is dissolved in an oil, versus forming an adduct with the oil?

I think the first rule of thumb should be that there will not be an adduct formed, since most compounds don't do that. C60 is an outlier. I can't think of anything I could do in my kitchen, but typical chemical analysis methods like LC/MS ought to work. In fact, just plain old liquid chromatography without the Mass Spec should be sufficient.

#11 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

How about we design a Resveratrol Caplet like Cardizem Extended Release?

Also contains: Carnauba Wax NF, Colloidal Silicon Dioxide NF, Croscarmellose Sodium NF, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil NF, Hypromellose USP, Magnesium Stearate NF, Microcrystalline Cellulose NF, Microcrystalline Wax NF, Pregelatinized Starch NF, Polyacrylate Dispersion 30%, Polyethylene Glycol NF, Polydextrose, Polysorbate NF, Povidone USP, Simethicone USP, Sodium Starch Glycolate NF, Sucrose Stearate, Talc USP, Titanium Dioxide USP.

http://dailymed.nlm....nfo.cfm?id=8451

A single 360 mg dose of CARDIZEM LA results in detectable plasma levels within 3 to 4 hours and peak plasma levels between 11 and 18 hours; absorption occurs throughout the dosing interval. The apparent elimination half-life for CARDIZEM LA Tablets after single or multiple dosing is 6 to 9 hours. When CARDIZEM LA Tablets were coadministered with a high fat content breakfast, diltiazem peak and systemic exposures were not affected indicating that the tablet can be administered without regard to food. As the dose of CARDIZEM LA Tablets is increased from 120 to 240 mg, area-under-the-curve increases 2.5-fold.

The design of the Caplet allows the cardizem to bypass the liver and increase the heart drug's efficacy.
Forget about the Cardizem see the ingredients used in the "also contains" list.
Could this work with Resveratrol? Take a Res capsule and coat it in Cellulose, HPMC, Oil, Starch, and Wax Coat?

Experiments are at your own risk.

Edited by bixbyte, 16 March 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#12 ClarkSims

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:36 PM

I tried dissolving resveratrol in olive oil once. That went over like a lead balloon. I suppose with enough stirring, or maybe some sonication or god knows what, you could get it to dissolve to some extent. In my experience, it wasn't easy. I wonder if it's dissolved in that fish oil, or suspended? I find GNC to be a little "fishy", as a general rule. (mostly just a ripoff)

Where did you buy the resveratol from? Was it pure powdered resveratol? How much does it cost?

#13 ClarkSims

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Also contains: Carnauba Wax NF, Colloidal Silicon Dioxide NF, Croscarmellose Sodium NF, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil NF, Hypromellose USP, Magnesium Stearate NF, Microcrystalline Cellulose NF, Microcrystalline Wax NF, Pregelatinized Starch NF, Polyacrylate Dispersion 30%, Polyethylene Glycol NF, Polydextrose, Polysorbate NF, Povidone USP, Simethicone USP, Sodium Starch Glycolate NF, Sucrose Stearate, Talc USP, Titanium Dioxide USP.

To me the interesting question, is "How does it bypass the liver?" I am guessing it is adducted to the Carauba was NF, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil NF, and the other stuff is just fillers.

How do they get it to bind to the oils to form an adduct, as opposed to being a suspension?

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Where did you buy the resveratol from? Was it pure powdered resveratol? How much does it cost?

I bought it a long time ago as part of a group purchase; the ultimate source was probably somewhere in China, and at the time it was pretty expensive. More recently, RevGenetics has sold powder, although at the moment, it looks like they only have a micronized version at $3/gm.

To me the interesting question, is "How does it bypass the liver?" I am guessing it is adducted to the Carauba was NF, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil NF, and the other stuff is just fillers.

How do they get it to bind to the oils to form an adduct, as opposed to being a suspension?

This wouldn't be a good approach. You'd be trickling resveratrol into the system, and xenobiotic metabolism would quickly take it out. It turns out that the most efficient way to use oral resveratrol is in large doses. You get more free resveratrol in the system, integrated over time, from a gram at one time than you do from two half gram doses spread over a time period. It acts as though some aspect of the metabolic machinery is "swamped" by high doses.

#15 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

... It turns out that the most efficient way to use oral resveratrol is in large doses. You get more free resveratrol in the system, integrated over time, from a gram at one time than you do from two half gram doses spread over a time period. It acts as though some aspect of the metabolic machinery is "swamped" by high doses.

I've heard that mentioned a few times around here but don't understand the exact theory of how it might work. Is the idea that higher doses of resveratrol might help more of it to survive destruction in the stomach and reach the small intestine where, as a lipid-soluble, it could absorb into the lymphatic system and bypasses the liver? Or that it gets absorbed like an MCT, but that due to the size of the dosage more of it might squeak past the liver thus averting destruction there?

Btw, I'm spinning 150 mg of 98% resveratrol (source: Kingherbs) along with 100 ml of olive oil in a magnetic stirrer to get a rough idea of just how soluble it might be. It's only been going overnight. So far I don't see any large powder chunks anymore but the oil still seems a bit cloudy.

Howard

Edited by hav, 18 March 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#16 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

I know someone that takes daily doses of the longer acting cardizem pills.
If you inspect the physical Cardizem Long acting caplet.
They designed a pill that bypasses your gut and dissolves in your intestines.
I am guessing the wax coating that protects the medication from the liver conjugation.
The acid in your stomach does not digest wax very well?
Easy to make? Cap the res and roll in very thin olive oil and roll coat in HPMC then dip in wax.
How do I remove the cap from the wax dip?
I want to make some Carauba Wax coated Res Caplets.
Like making batter coated chicken for a deep fryer.

#17 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:32 AM

... It turns out that the most efficient way to use oral resveratrol is in large doses. You get more free resveratrol in the system, integrated over time, from a gram at one time than you do from two half gram doses spread over a time period. It acts as though some aspect of the metabolic machinery is "swamped" by high doses.

I've heard that mentioned a few times around here but don't understand the exact theory of how it might work. Is the idea that higher doses of resveratrol might help more of it to survive destruction in the stomach and reach the small intestine where, as a lipid-soluble, it could absorb into the lymphatic system and bypasses the liver? Or that it gets absorbed like an MCT, but that due to the size of the dosage more of it might squeak past the liver thus averting destruction there?

Btw, I'm spinning 150 mg of 98% resveratrol (source: Kingherbs) along with 100 ml of olive oil in a magnetic stirrer to get a rough idea of just how soluble it might be. It's only been going overnight. So far I don't see any large powder chunks anymore but the oil still seems a bit cloudy.

Resveratrol isn't damaged in the stomach. The damage happens primarily in the liver, although there might be some conjugation that happens in the gut as well. It gets absorbed through the gut into general circulation and proceeds directly to the liver. The idea of "swamping" is that if there is a limited number of conjugative enzymes, and they are all busy with the first half of a large dose, the second half of the dose will sneak through. It may or may not actually work that way, but the net effect is as though it does.

Interesting about the resveratrol in olive oil. My initial thought was that it should dissolve pretty easily, but that clearly wasn't the case, and I didn't do much more than hand stirring it, as I recall. You might actually have a decent formulation there.

I am guessing the wax coating that protects the medication from the liver conjugation.

No, it just causes it to be released very slowly, which makes it easier for the liver to conjugate it. Waxes are classic slow release agents.

#18 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Interesting about the resveratrol in olive oil. My initial thought was that it should dissolve pretty easily, but that clearly wasn't the case, and I didn't do much more than hand stirring it, as I recall. You might actually have a decent formulation there.

Well I let 150 mg of 98% resveratrol spin in 100 ml of olive oil for about 36 hours then lit it sit another day to see how much settled out. Looks like most of it is either dissolved or is still in suspension. Here's the picts of the solution after I transferred it and the bottom of the original beaker I mixed in.

Attached File  resv150mg_oo100ml.jpg   103.89KB   11 downloads Attached File  resv150mg_residue.jpg   104.45KB   11 downloads

I figure I'll add some more resveratrol to bring it up to 2 grams and spin it some more and see what happens. Curious how much it will take

Howard

Edited by hav, 20 March 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#19 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Resveratrol isn't damaged in the stomach. The damage happens primarily in the liver, although there might be some conjugation that happens in the gut as well. It gets absorbed through the gut into general circulation and proceeds directly to the liver. The idea of "swamping" is that if there is a limited number of conjugative enzymes, and they are all busy with the first half of a large dose, the second half of the dose will sneak through. It may or may not actually work that way, but the net effect is as though it does.

I've been trying to wrap my head around digestion of fats and uptake of fat-soluble vitamins and supplements but I'm not sure I'm getting it. I read through these:

http://www.vivo.colo...orb_lipids.html
http://ajpendo.physi...96/6/E1183.full

I get the part were they say that some initial digestion starts in the stomach but it continues into the small intestines where absorption occurs. But the only mention I found of the liver is in the 2nd text:

Once inside the enterocyte, the products of TAG hydrolysis must traverse the cytoplasm to reach the endoplasmic reticulum (ER), where they are used to synthesize complex lipids. Specific binding proteins carry FAs and MAG to the intracellular site, where they will be used for TAG biosynthesis. The two major fatty acid-binding proteins (FABPs) found in enterocytes are liver FABP and intestinal FABP (2, 16, 69). Most TAG biosynthesis in the enterocyte occurs along the MAG pathway, in which MAG and fatty acyl-CoA are covalently joined to form diacylglycerol (DAG) in a reaction catalyzed by monoacylglycerol acyltransferases (MGATs) (40, 197). Further acylation of DAG by diacylglycerol acyltransferase (DGAT) leads to the synthesis of TAG. Two DGATs have been identified and characterized: DGAT1 and DGAT2. [For additional information about DGATs, refer to the recent review (197).] DGAT2 is expressed mainly in the liver and intestine.

Sounds like the binding proteins come from the liver and intestines. But the pathway they describe sounds like the lymphatic system. If so, wouldn't that bypass the liver till the next go around through the blood stream after nourishing cells? Sorry if that's a stupid question but the only mention I found in the literature about direct transfer of lipids to the liver related to medium chain triglycerides being an exception to the rule:

http://www.coconutre...rticle10612.htm

In the digestive system MCT are broken down into individual fatty acids (MCFA). Unlike other fatty acids, MCFA are absorbed directly from the intestines into the portal vein and sent straight to the liver

Don't know if the above source is reliable but I couldn't find anything supporting the concept of resveratrol being absorbed through the portal vein like MCT.

Howard

#20 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

I've been trying to wrap my head around digestion of fats and uptake of fat-soluble vitamins and supplements but I'm not sure I'm getting it. I read through these:

http://www.vivo.colo...orb_lipids.html
http://ajpendo.physi...96/6/E1183.full

Don't know if the above source is reliable but I couldn't find anything supporting the concept of resveratrol being absorbed through the portal vein like MCT.

Well, there's two distinct kinds of absorption. There's the long chain triglycerides that have their own system that goes through the lymphatics, and there's everything else, including medium chain triglycerides, that diffuse (or in some cases, are pumped) through the cells lining the intestines (enterocytes), or occasionally slip between the cells, and exit the cell into capillaries that drain into the portal vein. If you were to take oral resveratrol in any of it's various formulations, that's how it would get in. However, and here is where it gets interesting, if resveratrol were dissolved in a long chain triglyceride like olive oil, it might be able to stay with it, and get ingested into the enterocytes with the fatty acid micelles. If it rode out the entire long chain triglyceride digestion process, it should come in through the lymphatic system, and bypass the first pass through the liver. I don't know how fast the lymphatic system would drain into general circulation, relative to the usual sort of absorption, so the pharmacokinetics of this is a complete question mark. It would be interesting to see how much resveratrol you could dissolve in a given amount of olive oil. If you start with micronized powder, it should dissolve faster, but the ultimate solubility, whatever it is, would be determined by the thermodynamics. Anyway, this seems like it might be interesting. I wonder if you'd see the psychotropic effects that some people see with buccal absorption from an alcoholic solution?

#21 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

I wonder if the speed in which it shows up in the blood stream is any indicator of which route it takes. Just looked at the 2 gr/100 ml mix that's been spinning overnight and it still looks pretty chalky. I suspect max absorption is somewhere between 100 and 150 mg, in the same ballpark as c60. But I'll let it spin the full 2 weeks like I do with c60 before I try some.

Howard

#22 ClarkSims

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

I suspect max absorption is somewhere between 100 and 150 mg, in the same ballpark as c60. But I'll let it spin the full 2 weeks like I do with c60 before I try some.

Howard

I wonder if C60 would dissolve in the OO / Resveratrol? Or put another way I wonder if C60 and resveratrol compete for the same sight on the OO molecules?

Resveratrol has a molecular weight of 228.24 g mol−1

C60 has a molecular weight of 720 g mol -1

Expressed in moles, the solubility of Resveratrol, is about 1/3 of the solubility of C60, so they must be bonding to different parts of OO.

Maybe the ideal fountain of youth elixir would be c60 + resveratrol in OO?

Edited by ClarkSims, 21 March 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#23 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

Hi, Clark. Been meaning to thank you for pointing out all the above and making me think about and read up on it. I had always been under the impression that resveratrol was lipophobic with very low water solubility along the lines of silymarin. The fact that it is actually oil soluble makes me wonder if maybe we've been thinking about its bioavailabily in the wrong way. I think allot depends on the route it takes into the bloodstream and whether it goes straight to the liver like an mct.

I've also been wondering about c60 in combo with resveratrol. I personally think the c60 is more valuable in the olive oil so if there's a a tradeoff, I'd stick with the c60. But they may interact with the oil differently. If the c60 forms an adduct or complex while the resveratrol simply dissolves into solution, maybe one won't displace the other. But then again, if the resveratrol simply dissolves without latching onto the oil, it might not follow it and bypass the liver. Perhaps an indicator of resveratrol adduct formation might be first mixing as much resveratrol in as the oil will take and then trying to mix in some c60. If the c60 won't go or if the resveratrol gets knocked out, that might suggest the resveratrol and c60 compete to latch onto the same molecules. If they both go, that would suggest either that they latch onto different molecules or one latches on while the other just goes into simple solution.

Howard

#24 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

I wonder if C60 would dissolve in the OO / Resveratrol? Or put another way I wonder if C60 and resveratrol compete for the same sight on the OO molecules?

Expressed in moles, the solubility of Resveratrol, is about 1/3 of the solubility of C60, so they must be bonding to different parts of OO.

Resveratrol doesn't bond to olive oil. C60 is quite unusual in forming an adduct- most molecules would not do that.

#25 ClarkSims

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hi, Clark. Been meaning to thank you for pointing out all the above and making me think about and read up on it. I had always been under the impression that resveratrol was lipophobic with very low water solubility along the lines of silymarin. The fact that it is actually oil soluble makes me wonder if maybe we've been thinking about its bioavailabily in the wrong way. I think allot depends on the route it takes into the bloodstream and whether it goes straight to the liver like an mct.

Howard

It is my pleasure. I am happy that everyone else at Longecity is as interested in these topics as I am. :-)

#26 ClarkSims

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

I think the first rule of thumb should be that there will not be an adduct formed, since most compounds don't do that. C60 is an outlier. I can't think of anything I could do in my kitchen, but typical chemical analysis methods like LC/MS ought to work. In fact, just plain old liquid chromatography without the Mass Spec should be sufficient.

I am thinking I might want to do some liquid chromatography to find out :-)
I did this in college once or twice IIRC. As I recall, it is basically taking a fluid, and putting it on a piece of paper, and looking for lines which distinguish the different compounds.

#27 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

I am thinking I might want to do some liquid chromatography to find out :-)
I did this in college once or twice IIRC. As I recall, it is basically taking a fluid, and putting it on a piece of paper, and looking for lines which distinguish the different compounds.

That's either paper chromatography or Thin Layer Chromatography if you use a non-paper substrate. This is ok for colored or UV-detectable compounds that are easy to separate, but most analytical work is done by pumping solvent mixtures at very high pressure through densely packed columns containing various materials, depending on the separation task at hand. This is called High Pressure (or High Performance) Liquid Chromatography, or HPLC. It's probably the number one technique for analysis of the sorts of compounds that Longecity members are interested in.

#28 ClarkSims

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

I figure I'll add some more resveratrol to bring it up to 2 grams and spin it some more and see what happens. Curious how much it will take

Howard

Did you filter the final solution and do the laser pointer test to see if it was in fact a solution, and not a suspension?

What is the final estimate for solubility?

#29 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

Howard

Did you filter the final solution and do the laser pointer test to see if it was in fact a solution, and not a suspension?

What is the final estimate for solubility?

I have not done any filtering yet with the resveratrol mixture. It's still on the magnetic stirrer. I'm thinking I should filter it with the same 0.22 μm filter I use on my c60 solution. I happen to have some pure olive oil on hand that I've already run through that filter size. So I figure if I can accurately get some equal volumes, then some weight measurements might give an indication of how much is dissolved. But the milligram scale I have maxes out at 50 grams so I'm limited on the quantity I can deal with. I figure I might get some fairly consistent small volumes to work with using a medicine dropper. I'll play around with a laser pointer before and after filtering and see if I notice any deflection differences. But I want to keep my resveratrol mixing at least another week.

So you think about 1/3 the amount of resveratrol might dissolve into the olive oil compared to c60? I've been mixing at 80 mg per 100 ml. In that case I'm probably way over the top spinning 2 grams of resv in 100 ml. But if this analytical pocedure has merit, I should be able to home in on the solubility ballpark in a few iterations.

Howard

Edited by hav, 24 March 2013 - 04:06 AM.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 ClarkSims

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

So you think about 1/3 the amount of resveratrol might dissolve into the olive oil compared to c60? I've been mixing at 80 mg per 100 ml.

Howard

No, I was taking as a given that you had already saturated the solution, and then calculating out the molar concentrations by dividing by their molecular weight. I still don't have any intuition for how things bond with olive oil at the molecular level. It has been on my to do list, to read the papers that comes up with the predictions for C60 solubility.

The point of doing the molar calculation was that if the previous numbers are the max, then the resveratrol is at 1/3 molar concentration as the c60, which means it is probably bonding to a different part of the olive oil. Perhaps it is attracted to the glycerin, and the C60 is attracted to the fatty acid part?

Edited by ClarkSims, 24 March 2013 - 05:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users