Why don't Pharmacys Sell Nootropics?

nootropics

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 neek0la

• 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

Hey all.

Just wondering why this is so? I believe in them and just cant understand why pharmacys are not interested in selling these suppliments. I mean they sell everything else.

Any ideas would be great

#2 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

Believing and evidence base are two very different things. There is no vigorous evidence base for any of the racetams, stimulants or supplements showing an improvement in cognitive function for healthy people. There is very little evidence for a lot of the non-prescription drugs in known disease. There is also no to little evidence for long term safety profiles.

Not to mention, for some people, supplementing cognitive function is ethically wrong.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#3 JohnnyP

• 255 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:20 AM

Would this be subjective in regards to what you consider to be a "nootropic"?

#4 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

Well there is a definition to nootropic, inherently meaning it can't be subjective. On the other hand I assume you were making the argument that there are some nootropic agents in pharmacies, including St. Johns wart, Omega 3, multi vits/antioxidants, sometimes melatonin, antihistamines, pseudo/ephedrine (and its like) etc...in answer non of those are sold as nootropics, rather to treat disease.

#5 JohnnyP

• 255 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

I was just taking into account that some people consider what you have mentioned to be "nootropics" but I am assuming OP meant substances such as racetams etc.

#6 lorreann

• 20 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:55 AM

Pharmacies are usually the last place to get on board with supplements or anything "out of the box". It is the last place I would go unless I need a prescription filled. I'm sure they wouldn't know what you mean if you asked for a Nootropic. My pharmacist doesn't even know what Lactose is.

Edited by lorreann, 29 May 2014 - 06:56 AM.

#7 vLondon

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

Pharmacies are usually the last place to get on board with supplements or anything "out of the box". It is the last place I would go unless I need a prescription filled. I'm sure they wouldn't know what you mean if you asked for a Nootropic. My pharmacist doesn't even know what Lactose is.

Good afternoon  :),

From what you're saying your pharmacist isn't fit to practice whatsoever.

I'm just about to compete my masters in pharmacy degree and we learnt what lactose was in high school or even earlier, so I'm shocked at that.

Also these supplements are starting to appear in pharmacies, one example is Neurozan Plus from Vitabiotics.

In our 2, 3 and 4th year we took classes on neuropharmacology so we would have a pretty good idea where and how nootropics work.

Way too many people underestimate the knowledge pharmacists have about drugs, when they go through 4 years (+1 year of pre reg) studying drugs and how they work in the human body  :mellow:

#8 bracconiere

• 129 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:10 PM

If they were in pharmacies the DEA would outlaw them faster than they placed the order. Don't kid yourself they're not "legal", it's a grey market

Edited by bracconiere, 07 June 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#9 Average

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

In my opinion the general public has to "feel" a physical effect from something immediately or they think it's crap. Nootropics generally require a great deal of effort on the user to work and most benificial results are over a long period of time. A xanax/etc you will just feel immediately without doing anything, so they are in high demand as thats how the public knows it works. Although Nootropics, most people if they even bother buying it will give up after a week or so thinking they flushed money down the toilet and put it with their muscle blast powders or whatever other "gimmicks" they believe they fell for.

Now, I think you can make up for these poor sales/demand (from a non immediate physical body response) with advertising (like exercise supps do by having various ripped dudes/etc endorsing a product) but you need that golden child that the GENERAL PUBLIC sees as highly intelligent and wants to mimmick (maybe Bill Gates...?) to get the ball rolling like Arnold did for the bodybuilding world. When this happens enough people will stick with it to start talking about the results openly and more people will start to believe and purchase them. It's bound to happen eventually. I know the movie limitless was what inspired me to research if "brain pills" really exist. Once they hit the mainstream as a result of clever advertising, I am sure the pharmacy will jump right on board.

Just my opinion though as I have pondered why they are not readily available myself...

Edited by Average, 09 June 2014 - 01:54 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#10 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:26 AM

sourcing prescription drugs vs nootropics is different. the pharmacies that sell prescription drugs have contacts with places that ONLY sell them. And when you are focused on one type of drugs you usually don't sell others. 

Edited by farshad, 31 August 2019 - 08:27 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users