- - - - -

How do I REPLY to a Posting?

there is no reply button

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kimrick

• 24 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I find longecity.com to be the most complex, confusing, user-unfriendly website I have E-V-E-R used, even though the coverage of its subject matter is what I'm extremely interested in.

Where are the REPLY buttons for comments?

Is REPLY supposed to be covered by the QUOTE button?

What if I don't WANT to QUOTE, just to REPLY?

I need a tutorial on how to use this site. I truly don't think I'm the problem.

And, why is the box with Longecity, News, Features, Support, & Recent Topics on the left side of this and all pages not integrated into a normal menu structure? It's like an annoying pop up ad except you can't get rid of it. It tells me that the software managing this site is, well I'm sorry, junk.

Could someone please direct me to a site tutorial with visual training on just how to use this site?

Please.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

If you scroll down a little toward the bottom of the page there is an empty text box where you can type replies.

There is also a reply button near the upper right.

We are always looking to improve the user functionality, so any further suggestions are welcome.

#3 kimrick

• Topic Starter
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:30 PM

Thank you MIND... I  just read your reply to my rant TODAY, ~ 20 months later.  Have not been following LongeCity since my rant for other reasons.  Restarted a few weeks ago.  However I'm still not clear on how to reply to someone's specific post, and not just a "shotgun" reply to the entire forum.  Looking at any post, nowhere on any single post is there a reply button, just the quote buttons.  If you just click reply on the top, right of the webpage, how can you refer your reply to a specific post at the bottom of the page? That's where my disconnect is. Do you click qoute and then move to the top of the page and click reply to do this?  Why doesn't each post HAVE a reply button? 

TYVM !

rick

Edited by kimrick, 28 January 2015 - 07:31 PM.

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:23 AM

... I'm still not clear on how to reply to someone's specific post, and not just a "shotgun" reply to the entire forum.  Looking at any post, nowhere on any single post is there a reply button, just the quote buttons.  If you just click reply on the top, right of the webpage, how can you refer your reply to a specific post at the bottom of the page? That's where my disconnect is. Do you click qoute and then move to the top of the page and click reply to do this?  Why doesn't each post HAVE a reply button?

Rick, if you want to reply to a specific post, the only way to relate it back to that post is to use the "quote" button.  That will drop you into a text editor that includes the text of the quoted post.  You can delete as much of the text as you find to be unnecessary, and we encourage all posters to trim their quotes.  (The "reply" button at the top of the page is not very useful- it's the same as scrolling to the bottom and entering something in the edit box there.  I'd prefer that members read the entire thread before posting, as their post may already have been addressed or made irrelevant.)

There is no way that I know of to connect your reply to a specific post without quoting at least a small amount of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users