Photo
- - - - -

Terminology for Describing Perception

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:46 AM

Are there any elementary basics or tutorials on the vocabulary for describing cognitive parameters that define such things as language, memory, creativity? ...basic terminology and in-depth descriptions that could educate me so that when I communicate that "I need help with my memory" I can dissect to the exact definitive layer of meaning and convey this in a hopefully more efficient and crystalline manner.
I think such categorization would be necessary if the understanding of the brain and effects of drugs came to such a developed state that you could almost candystore-pickum what elements of cognition/perception you want tweaked. But this exact and simplified understanding of biological causality seems a little fantastic right now. Nomenclature and categorical structures used in perception-related professional fields would be the next best thing.

I think this could be a decent addition here: an Imminst-Nootropics tutorial for contributors to temper and filter their communications of perceptual experience through a broad spectrum, standardized nomenclature. Another idea would be to add a template that allows people to realize what kind of info they should add to their post such as mental and physical condition with correlative medications, current regimen, allergies, past experiences in all these and more. I have a feeling that this could lead to a better understanding as certain concurrencies may appear among and highlight the intersecting neurochemical and metabolic similarities on seemingly disparate conditions. The population here would be relatively small but a start nonetheless, right? It seems a little more responsible than basing recommendations on personal pill popping practice and may add some credibility to this maverick field of self-medication. I'm still buying LifeMirage's book when it comes out, though...maybe I should just shut up and wait for that to come out.
I do know some may not want to be bothered with such back-study, or will not want their personal info out there for everyone(or ill-intentioned someones) to see, but the line between what personal information has been thusfar willingly contributed and the informational endangerment posited in this latter concern seems to edge towards irrelevant when you consider that this concern could be mediated by selective access via membership and encryption.
Um, this all sounds like a centralized health record database...and for some reason I don't think this would go over too well as it hints at tinges of govt-intrusion of which I am not very fond.
I do think that even just some parts of what could be planned through to this concept's grandest embodiment would be very helpful in bringing to fruition the practical and hypothetical intentions of this possibly pedagogical wikipubmed crossbreed.

#2 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:32 AM

Well, when it comes to nomenclature, I have 3 broad categories.... Thoughts, feelings and behaivour.

1. Thoughts, aka aptitudes, aka brain functions. These ideas are from an aptitude test I took at the Johnson O'Connor institute.
Rythm memory--beats--shows an aptitude for??? Playing Jazz?
Pitch memory--test on notes/sounds... aptitude for playing guitar. If you cannot remember the pitch that was played...you might not be good with a guitar.
Visual memory--remembering visual items... you have memorize a number of items on a page.
Language Memory--remembering words. Test involved made up words. shows an aptitude for languages. Perhaps the piracetam drugs might be good for this.
Pattern recognition--tests to see patterns in number etc.
Idea Eurphoria--test on how many ideas you can generate at once. You brain storm about something that they test you on.
Three dimensional visualization.

There are also different types of memory that you can just google about. The ones I gave are of a different sort.

2. Feelings--I think feelings are related to particular neurotransmitters and hormones. There are over a hundred different hormones.
Dopamine--feeling of confidence, indestructability, talkativeness and drive, perhaps concentration. (cocaine, deprenyl, ritallin)
Adrenalines--Drive, concentration, strength (drug: straterra, modafanil)
Endorphins--numbness and tingliness (exercise, sex, morphine, spicy food etc)
Cortisol--?
Serotonin--relaxation, happiness, being self-content (SSRI drugs)
Melotonin--sleep (tablets, triggered by day/night)
testosterone--aggressivness, macho, alpha-malish
estrogen--?
acetyl-choline-- ?
GABA-- relaxation, talkativeness, fluidity while speaking (alcohol, phenibut, exercise)

3. Behaivour.... What about reflexes? Coordination?
I find that perhaps vinpocetine or picamilon or hydergine might actually improve reaction time... I took them altogether. I felt one was doing it for me.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 REGIMEN

• Topic Starter
  • 570 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:12 PM

Thanks pinballwizard. ;)

The first category seems like what I'm looking for if I could correlate those types to brain region activity and chemical composition...in my ignorant musings I presumed there to be nomenclature to describe such activity stripped of its test-borne structure.
I'm looking for terms like aphasia, alexia, agraphia, anomia, etc(all linked thru 'aphasia') that offer partition and definition to cognitive activity ...but more related to "properly working" minds and with variables to express degree of effect (scalar or otherwise). I guess it's the descriptors for cognitive effects that arise when taking nootropics that I want to pin down and also the diaphanous, paradigm-altering "senses" I get with different nootropics(yehyeh, sounds like bs, but i think some of you know what I mean). For example, I have completely different feelings when under the effects vasodilators like picamilon, ginkgo, vinpocetine, rosemary, exercise and it is their fine, differentiating elements I want to describe without sounding like some kind of acid-lickin' community college hippy. Other examples would be that certain chemical imbalances impress religious infatuation and in the situation of depression the sense that nothing that used to has any pleasure involved; seemingly unrelated effects related to certain chemical states that can't be found from just discreet chemical reactions or basic lab tests.

Does anyone have a sense of what I am talking about?

#4 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:49 AM

It seems like you are confusing people. Your sentences are too long and complex. Is English your second language? It seems like you are a chemistry student from mainland Europe. Shorten and simply your sentences a little, and people will respond.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 jolly

• 154 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:04 PM

It makes perfect sense to me. I think the biggest problem is in accurately describing the effects that certain substances have on ourselves - least thats where I tend to have the most problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users