- - - - -

Getting the baseline right

fish oil inositol nac ala selenium chromium magnesium zinc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ukko

• 190 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

I believe that most people rush to use prescription drugs way too fast. Whether for psychologic or other health issues. Same with resorting to the use of more esoteric OTC supplements. I believe that people should first make sure that they are not deficient in basic vitamins or minerals. Then resort to robust old school supplements like R-ALA, NAC, lecithin, fish oil etc. And only if all those fail, then move to more esoteric stuff. Note that even if the goal is nootropic improvement, it would still make sense to start from a healthy optimized baseline before going all methylene blue, hyperzine A and esoteric racetams.

I have been doing a lot of re-reading recently on substances that I have personally have had great success with and looked into the literature for the following:

- What is the effect on insulin sensitivity? (Increased insulin sensitivity is the miracle behind calorie restiction)

- What is the effect on adeponectin? (get this fixed and weight management is effortless)

- What is the effect on the brain? (with particular focus on acetylcholine and dopamine function, especially dopamine D2 receptor sensitivity)

- What is the effect on mitochondrial biogenesis and function?

And, you know what, my classic favorites: NAC, R-ALA, lecithin (inositol, choline), fish oil, magnesium, zinc, chromium and selenium basically all have positive impact on each of those four issues. Some that I really like do not shine across all these themes: phosphatidylserine, PQQ, theanine etc. Some get occasional bad PR based on apparently targeted and biased big pharma financed studies (DHA and selenium recently).

But look something simple like inositol from lecithin. Just wow. Greatly increases insulin sensivity. Also the basic myoinositol form, not just the chiroinositol form. Also improves adiponectin. Even boosts dopamine D2 receptor sensitivity in the brain. Somewhat of a limiting factor for mitochondrial biogenesis due to its role in the membranes.

Or R-ALA. Just wow again. Protects dopaminergic function in the brain, even boosts dopamine levels. One of the most efficient insulin sensitizers known to man at higher doses. Greatly improves adiponectin. Really key for mitochondrial function.

How about something like NAC then? Again, greatly aids with insulin sensitivity. Amazing impact on the brain and has been used to treat schizophrenia, compulsive gaming, nail biting, compulsive pulling out of hair etc. Positive impact on adiponectin. Through glutathione greatly helps with cellular function.

Or even just something as simple as zinc. Most sexually active males are deficient in zinc. Zinc gives insulin sensitivity a huge boost. Even called an insulin mimic. Essential for dozens of processes in the brain. Even prevents dopamine reuptake, a weaker effect than ecstasy obviously but still. Zinc deficiency will quickly damage mitochondrias. Key for things like SOD.

I have hundreds of studies backing up the above observations. What I will do going forward is do reading on each of the more esoteric supplements I try as to their effect on: 1) insulin sensitivity; 2) mitochondrial function and biogenesis; 3) brain function, particularly acetylcholime and dopamine, and especially dopamine D2 receptors; and 4) adiponectin (anti-obesity hormone excreted by fat tissue).

Still amused how almost all of my old school favorites shine for all of those four themes. If you can name additional supplements that do the same, please let me know. I suspect Vitamin D, Vitamin C and some of vitamin B's would make that list. Just haven't done enough reading on those from these 4 angles.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#2 goobicii

• 23 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

what magnesium is best?

what magnesium is best?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ukko

• Topic Starter
  • 190 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:07 AM

Depends on what you want to achieve. Optimal form for night time and calming down, probably magnesium glycinate. Best bang for the buck for morning and daytime magnesium, combined with the energy and lifespan boosting effects of malic acid, would be magnesium malate. Increasing magnesium in the brain and boosting brain by Threonic Acid, well that would be Magnesium Threonate. For laxative use, go for magnesium sulphate or oxide :)

#4 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

But look something simple like inositol from lecithin. Just wow. Greatly increases insulin sensivity. Also the basic myoinositol form, not just the chiroinositol form. Also improves adiponectin. Even boosts dopamine D2 receptor sensitivity in the brain. Somewhat of a limiting factor for mitochondrial biogenesis due to its role in the membranes.

Can you share your references? I could probably search and find some references, but I would be interested to know what you found.

Thanks.

#5 randian

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

Tantalizing, but without actual numbers (what you mean by "higher doses" of alpha-lipoic acid, for example) your readers cannot use this information to develop a supplement regime from it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Ukko

• Topic Starter
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:55 AM

<p>

<br />
Tantalizing, but without actual numbers (what you mean by &quot;higher doses&quot; of alpha-lipoic acid, for example) your readers cannot use this information to develop a supplement regime from it.<br />

<br />
&nbsp;</p>
<p>All those studies are laughably easy to find on Medline. Try a Medline search for &quot;Lipoic&quot; and &quot;adiponectin&quot; to get started.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18062843

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fish oil, inositol, nac, ala, selenium, chromium, magnesium, zinc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users