• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Care crisis - VERY disturbing

care crisis aging population aging suffering neglect abuse elderly care

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

Warning: contains footage that may distress you - and quite rightly so!

This article is from UK regarding the care crisis and the neglect of the elderly. If the video on this page doesn't distress you then I don't know what will. :mellow: Just think...this could be all of us if we do not try to take action:

Mrs Price's grandson installed two CCTV cameras in her house in Blackpool, Lancashire, to monitor her movements and to provide help should she fall when she was home alone.
'Absolutely disgusting'
Instead they recorded carers failing to turn up when they should and behaving inappropriately on occasions.
One scene shows Mrs Price in great distress prior to her carer arriving. The grandmother, who is incontinent, had been in bed for 13 hours as her carer was nearly one hour late. She had tried and failed to contact her care company, carers, family and neighbours for help.
"Disgusting this is, absolutely disgusting," she is heard to cry out. "It's not good enough, I can't put up with it much longer."

She then quietly sobs before crying out for Les, her husband of 63 years. He was her primary carer prior to his death.
"I'll be here till 12 o'clock until the next one comes along, I bet. It's always the same."
Eventually a carer does appear, 55 minutes late.

In the footage seen by the BBC, which covers a period of nearly a month, carers turn up late or not at all on at least 12 occasions. Several other visits are much shorter than the one hour the carers are contracted for.
While some carers were professional, the footage shows examples of others who clearly were not.
The footage shows one carer sticking her fingers in food to check its temperature, another changes incontinence pads in full view of the street

Full article and video here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22885514

#2 YOLF

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

I hope we can cure aging soon. I can't imagine someone having to live through this.

#3 Marios Kyriazis

• 466 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

The root of the problem is deep. We can't expect the government to always help, so the alternative is to do something about it ourselves. We will ALL need some kind of care when we are older, even for a short period. This is a fact, unless we are destined to die suddenly from a heart attack etc. Yet, how many young people try to make arrangements and save now in order to pay for this care? My guess is 'none'.

From the medical point of view, the prolongation of the 'health-span' is a priority, but again it is up to us to do something about it. Don't expect others (scientists, doctors, researchers) to come up with the solution.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

We can't expect the government to always help

I don't expect hardly ANY quality help from the government. The gradual trend toward dependency in advanced nations has left people with awful attitudes toward the elderly, IMO

#5 Droplet

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

Yet, how many young people try to make arrangements and save now in order to pay for this care? My guess is 'none'.

At the moment, a lot of people can barely afford to live, let alone save money.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: care crisis, aging population, aging, suffering, neglect, abuse, elderly, care

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users