Aspirin is a telomerase activator

aspirin telomerase activator

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

Solarfingers found this blog post with references and posted it in another thread.
I think this info is significant enough to warrant its own thread where this can be discussed and a dosage for this effect can be hammered out.

Aspirin Reduces Endothelial Cell Senescence:
http://www.life-enha...cell-senescence

#2 solarfingers

• 440 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:32 AM

The great thing is you can take small amounts daily but large amounts are not recommended as it will rot your stomach.

#3 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

The stomach rot is greatly reduced if you take it with vitamin C.
http://www.longecity...post__p__508343

Enteric coating is also said to help?

It occurs to me that perhaps Aspirin's reputation for doing more than it should (relieve symptoms) is not only due to it reducing inflammation but also due to its ability to lengthen telomeres in the immune system and elsewhere?

Edited by Logic, 24 June 2013 - 08:24 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

This was an in vitro experiment where cells were incubated with 100 uM aspirin. At least that was the concentration they used when looking at senescence. They went on to discuss telomerase, implying that the same concentration was used. This is no doubt clarified in the full text, but it's not available. I suspect that to hit or exceed that concentration in vivo for an adequate length of time would require a dangerous level of aspirin.
  • like x 1

#5 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

This was an in vitro experiment where cells were incubated with 100 uM aspirin. At least that was the concentration they used when looking at senescence. They went on to discuss telomerase, implying that the same concentration was used. This is no doubt clarified in the full text, but it's not available. I suspect that to hit or exceed that concentration in vivo for an adequate length of time would require a dangerous level of aspirin.

Thx Niner.
Although one cannot say from that that a lesser dose would not have an effect?

Is there a thread anywhere that explains how to get to a Human Equivalent dose from uM and xyz/litre of blood etc?

#6 solarfingers

• 440 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

You have to wonder what accumulative effect it might have with other telomerase releasing agents.

#7 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

I wonder if salsalate would work - higher doses should be possible than for aspirin and it does not cause bleeding.
Enteric coated aspirin still cause bleeding, but in the intestines. Does not cause pain as in the stomach. It also causes systemic tendency to bleed, increasing likelihood of stroke.

#8 solarfingers

• 440 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

I wonder if salsalate would work - higher doses should be possible than for aspirin and it does not cause bleeding.
Enteric coated aspirin still cause bleeding, but in the intestines. Does not cause pain as in the stomach. It also causes systemic tendency to bleed, increasing likelihood of stroke.

Sorry if my ignorance is showing... Is Salsalate chemically related to Aspirin? I have never heard of it.

#9 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:47 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsalate
Salsalate is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Salsalate is in a class of drugs called salicylates.
Salsalate is used to reduce pain and inflammation caused by conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and related rheumatic conditions. Salsalate is also recommended by physicians as an anti-inflammatory alternative to naproxen, and ibuprofen for patients that have had minor stomach bleeding or stomach upset. It has also been used as an alternative to narcotic pain medicine for people with spinal disc protrusion.

"In contrast to aspirin, salsalate causes no greater fecal gastrointestinal blood loss than placebo."

So it is possible to get the anti-inflamatory effects of aspirin (and related NSAIDs) with salsalate, without the gastric bleeding.

#10 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

Here's a human population study based on answers to questionnaires that says this in the abstract about aspirin/nsaids:

Genetic and lifestyle influence on telomere length and subsequent risk of colon cancer in a case control study.

Use of aspirin/NSAIDs interacted significantly with TERT rs10069690 and rs2242652 to alter TL. Longer TL was significantly associated with reduced colon cancer risk after adjusting for age and sex (OR = 0.94 95% confidence intervals 0.89-0.99 per decile of TL).

Which sounds positive. But here's what the full-text says:

We also showed an inverse association between aspirin/NSAID use (p=0.03 among cases and controls) and TL in the total population.
However, our finding of an inverse association between aspirin use, which could be related to inflammation, and TL has been shown by others[8]. The direction of the inverse association between aspirin and TL s not what would be expected, although it could arise from interaction with specific genotypes. We found that aspirin/NSAID use increases TL among individuals with higher risk TERT genotypes.

Howard

Edited by hav, 25 June 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#11 solarfingers

• 440 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

Howard, I agree. Aspirin if it does help in telomerase activation is of little use because I doubt you could sustain levels high enough without causing digestive issues. It is an interesting side note.

#12 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:33 AM

Excellent find, Logic.

I'm aware of the risks, but have been taking significant amounts of aspirin (400-800mg) as part of my stack for the last 10months or so. I take it spaced throughout the day, to stop the formation of omega-6 derived eicosanoids. Partly to prevent hairloss, but also to promote general health. It's cheaper than DukeNukems favourite, the 5-lox inhibitor. I definitely feel 'good' on it. Maybe this is optimal for telomerase activation. As the article explains, aspirin doesn't stop the formation entirely but creates instead a nonclassic eicosanoid called 15-epi-lipoxin which has a strong anti-inflammatory effect. unlike regular lipoxins which activate NF-kB and are inflammatory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipoxin

#13 Logic

• Topic Starter
  • 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

1kgcoffee:
Thx but it was actually Solarfingers' find.
I hope you take vit C with that?

Also read Howard's post and link carefully.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aspirin, telomerase activator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users