- - - - -

Theobromine experiences?

theobromine cocoa

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:55 AM

Has anyone tried pure Theobromine? If so, how did the effects compare to cocoa or caffeine?

It's sold on ebay, amazon, and other places.

Thanks.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#2 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

I think this would be a stupid idea honestly. As it is Theobromine is slightly toxic, and the minuscule amount found in cocoa is of no harm to your nervous system (unless you eat a ton of chocolate) but you start concentrating this stuff and it will fuck you and your neural receptors up.
  • Ill informed x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 FW900

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

I think this would be a stupid idea honestly. As it is Theobromine is slightly toxic, and the minuscule amount found in cocoa is of no harm to your nervous system (unless you eat a ton of chocolate) but you start concentrating this stuff and it will fuck you and your neural receptors up.

There are no studies pointing to the neurotoxicity of theobromine that would "fuck your neural receptors up". Theobromine is a xanthine alkaloid just like caffeine is. Theobromine is an adenonsine antagonist (so is caffeine) and as such it would produce effects similar to caffeine. Any benefits or side effects caused by it would likely be very similar to caffeine. To say that it is "toxic" without evidence backing it up is simply misleading to people reading this thread.
  • Well Written x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

What is its half life or does it stay in the body for a long time like some trace metals? If so the potential would seem large.

#5 ta5

• Topic Starter
  • 952 posts
Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:31 AM

I tried some 99%. I tried 500mg in 2 divided doses morning and noon, then 1100mg in 2 divided doses. From the numbers on wikipedia, a 100g dark chocolate bar should have 700mg Theobromine. It also says cocoa powder can be up to 10% Theobromine, which would put a 100g 70% chocolate bar at 7000mg. There's no way any bars are that high. The 700mg number makes more sense.

Wikipedia says the half-life is around 7 hours. I felt the effects from 1100mg for a good 36 hours. Mainly increased heart rate. The effects were clearly similar to cocoa, but was missing some of the good feeling. I was hoping it might have fewer of the negatives, but no. It may have made me less angry than cocoa.

It's funny how it's both stimulating and sort of sedating. Cocoa is similar. It makes me want to sleep, but my heart rate is increased. I took a nap both days after taking it.

Overall, kind of crummy. I might try a low dose, like 150mg just in the morning for longer term to see what that's like since I have plenty to experiment with.

#6 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:55 AM

I often got headaches from it. Not worth it IMHO. DLPA is prolly better for such needs.

#7 ta5

• Topic Starter
  • 952 posts
Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

Oh yeah, I got headaches too, on the 2nd and 3rd days. Headaches would make sense because it's a vasodilator. But, if that's the cause, it's odd that it came on so late.

#8 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

I've tried quite heavy doses from cocoa, chocamine and yerba mate tea.
The effects I noticed were: Improved motor skills and coordination, and increased vasodilation, especially in the corpus cavernosum...

IMO, it's great for physical activity, such as sex or sports, but not so good for anything requiring reading and comprehension of the written or even spoken word.

Btw: careful with your doses. I know from experience that theobromine poisoning is a very real and dangerous thing.
500 mg is a pleasant dose.

What doses have you tried? With positive or negative effects?

Sidenote: For recreational purposes, Cocoa mixed with peanut butter is a very potent euphoriant, which also creates a sustained release and effect of the theobromine. :)

Edited by chung_pao, 15 November 2013 - 03:39 PM.

• Informative x 1

#9 ta5

• Topic Starter
  • 952 posts
Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

In my experience the Theobromine and cocoa makes me a little dizzy, so I don't think it's good for my motor skills, at least for walking.

Also, in my experience cocoa (not as much from Theobromine) is very good for reading and comprehension.

#10 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

I drink cocoa on a regular basis but when I tried the more unprocessed cocoa nibs in order to boost my phenolic intake, I felt many of the same negative effects other users have described; I put it down to the higher theobromine levels.

#11 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

Sidenote: For recreational purposes, Cocoa mixed with peanut butter is a very potent euphoriant, which also creates a sustained release and effect of the theobromine. :)

What role does the peanut butter serve?

#12 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

There are no studies pointing to the neurotoxicity of theobromine that would "fuck your neural receptors up". Theobromine is a xanthine alkaloid just like caffeine is. Theobromine is an adenonsine antagonist (so is caffeine) and as such it would produce effects similar to caffeine. Any benefits or side effects caused by it would likely be very similar to caffeine. To say that it is "toxic" without evidence backing it up is simply misleading to people reading this thread.

To say it is just fine without evidence is no better. There are plenty of reports of cocoa causing some pretty bad mood swings. My guess is it's the Theobromine.

#13 8bitmore

• 347 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

To say it is just fine without evidence is no better. There are plenty of reports of cocoa causing some pretty bad mood swings. My guess is it's the Theobromine.

Or the diuretic caffeine/sugar combination. Also, everything, incl. water, in excess is bad news; and eating chocolate in excess is something many people excel at.
  • like x 1

#14 ta5

• Topic Starter
  • 952 posts
Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:20 PM

Now, I would really like to try a low-theobromine cacao, or theobromine-free cacao, or detheobrominated cacao, that still has medium to high flavanols or polyphenols. That would be very interesting. Maybe that would have (what I consider) the positives from cacao without the negatives.

Does anyone know of any?

There's a patent on detheobromination of cocoa, removing xanthines or methylxanthines. There's also patents on extracting polyphenols. But, it looks like all the high polyphenol extracts also advertise high theobromine, that I have seen.

#15 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

What role does the peanut butter serve?

its his ass talking obviously. i suggest you try the combo kratom cocoa instead, guaranteed euphoria 10x!

• Agree x 1

#16 Zed

• 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

It also says cocoa powder can be up to 10% Theobromine, which would put a 100g 70% chocolate bar at 7000mg. There's no way any bars are that high. The 700mg number makes more sense.

Wikipedia says the half-life is around 7 hours. I felt the effects from 1100mg for a good 36 hours. Mainly increased heart rate. The effects were clearly similar to cocoa, but was missing some of the good feeling. I was hoping it might have fewer of the negatives, but no. It may have made me less angry than cocoa.

It's funny how it's both stimulating and sort of sedating. Cocoa is similar. It makes me want to sleep, but my heart rate is increased. I took a nap both days after taking it.

Overall, kind of crummy. I might try a low dose, like 150mg just in the morning for longer term to see what that's like since I have plenty to experiment with.

I think cocoa can be upto to 10% Theobromine so a 100 g (70% cocoa) chocolate bar would have approx around the 700 - 800mg Theobromine. So yes the 7000mg figure is likely wrong.

There is a good Theobromine Calc at http://veterinarycli...olate/calc.html which indicates that while the LD50 dose (ie amount that will kill 50% of the relevant pop) is around 100- 200mg per kg the toxic dose is MUCH lower around 10 -20 mg and dogs having a much lower weight are therefore susceptible to it at lower dosages. Basically if it can make a dog/cat sick than it most probably can be toxic to humans.  

So depending upon your weight and other supplements taken concurrently (ie taking anti acids etc)  1100mg could be felt for a while though 36 hrs later is interesting. Experimenting with smaller dosages is def the way to go. Any updates on your experiments? 

#17 ta5

• Topic Starter
  • 952 posts
Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:26 AM

I tried some other doses. I don't recall specific doses and the effects. I gave up on it, because it never did anything that I would describe as positive.

I would still love to try a low theobromine cacao.

Edited by ta5, 12 April 2017 - 12:27 AM.

• like x 1

#18 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

i tried a theobromine free chocolate and had the most remarkable experience yesterday, for once i used a lane at kroger that wasnt the self checkout.. lifes about stepping out of your comfort zone

#19 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:52 PM

haha there is no theobromine free chocolate! you are crazy

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

i thought caffeine free chocolate is also?  thanks for that.  but there's always carob chip. and dont mock me bro its quite serious.  you may be picking up gorgeous women in an old civic, but some of us can barely say hi to the mailman without pissing our pants

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: theobromine, cocoa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users