• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is High-intensity interval training the ideal form of exercise for anti-aging?

hiit

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

https://en.wikipedia...terval_training

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3371620/

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22587821

It seems like the almost-ideal form of exercise, especially if you're low on time. It's amazing for increasing insulin sensitivity.

Also - it seems to increase metabolism by increasing https://en.wikipedia...gen_consumption. Could this be the reason why exercise seems to increase energy in many people? The only issue is that increased metabolism (and all the extra oxygen) could be associated with accelerated aging if not fully counteracted by hormesis pathways. Does hormesis from HIIT differ from hormesis in regular exercise? Or could HIIT effectively make one's metabolism more bird-like - in the sense that birds have amazing metabolism and low free radical damage despite it all?

While HIIT would upregulate hormesis/cell-repair pathways.. the timescale of cell-repair involves changes in gene expression, and those changes aren't going to come in several minutes. So I'm slightly concerned that HIIT could result in a lot of free radical damage when it's practiced irregularly.

Does it increase growth hormone and IGF-1 levels?

Also, what about free radical production from HIIT as compared to free radical production from other sources of exercise? Is it even possible to create animal models of HIIT? Many mice will exercise if you give them a treadmill, but are they going to go all the way up to VO2Max?

Edited by InquilineKea, 25 October 2013 - 10:19 PM.

• like x 1

#2 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:36 AM

I tried out the lifesprints program this morning, which is:

5 mins warmup, then { 8 seconds sprint, 12 seconds easy } x 60 reps, then 5 min cool-down on a stationary bike. (30 min. total)

I could barely keep going towards the end, & I've never felt so exhausted... despite all the walking I do, I am really not fit at all.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 johnross47

• 747 posts
  • Location:table 42 in the restaurant at the end of the universe

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

Unless you systematically work every muscle in every possible direction, any new exercise will always catch you out.
  • like x 1

#4 proileri

• 80 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:20 PM

Interval training does look good to me. While there doesn't seem to be clear consensus quite yet if HIIT is better than continuous exercise - although there's been some positive research - at least you can say that HIIT seems to give you equal benefits to continuous moderate exercise (CME). The 'time saving' aspect of HIIT shouldn't be underestimated, though: if you are short on time or just don't like long cardio sessions, interval training might help you to do more sessions per week, which leads to better long-term effects. 

One interesting thing to HIIT is that there might be an optimal window of exercise hours/week, which is not directly connected to energy consumption or exercise intensity. In the studies looking into optimal exercise, it seems that too many hours per week reduce your gains. However, higher exercise intensity or energy consumption don't seem to follow a similar curve, but rather higher intensity and energy consumption seem to be more beneficial, as long as you don't go over your VO2max. To me, this would suggest that the momentary stress levels caused by CME vs. HIIT are relatively close to each other, so becomes a matter of total time under stress. If there is such a relationship, HIIT would allow you to pack optimal inductive signal into least negative effects.

• like x 1

#5 BieraK

• 274 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:43 AM

To me HIIT sounds like the perfect exercise for improving health...
HIIT in a fasted stated first thing in the morning gives tons of energy.

I'm experimenting with low dose MB, 30 mg and my oxygen consumption is improved with that, HIIT can enhance the effects of MB.

Edited by BieraK, 11 September 2015 - 04:46 AM.

• like x 1

#6 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:29 AM

Interval training does look good to me. While there doesn't seem to be clear consensus quite yet if HIIT is better than continuous exercise - although there's been some positive research - at least you can say that HIIT seems to give you equal benefits to continuous moderate exercise (CME). The 'time saving' aspect of HIIT shouldn't be underestimated, though: if you are short on time or just don't like long cardio sessions, interval training might help you to do more sessions per week, which leads to better long-term effects. 

My understanding is that intervals are clearly superior to CME. I think that makes sense as the body is forced to also use the energy-systems that can only generate work for a few seconds to a few tens of seconds leading more and more wide-ranging benefits.

• Agree x 1

#7 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:35 AM

I was a high school wrestler for four years. It entailed approximately four months of training per year, in the form of two hour practices six days per week (Saturday's as well).

Wrestling requires a high degree of muscular endurance and aerobic capacity, perhaps to a degree above any other sport.

For some periods, especially in the beginning of my career, we'd condition by jogging for long periods of time every day. During those periods, no matter how long we ran, we were always marginally in-shape toward being able to get through a single six minute match without throwing up or keeling over.

Sprints, in the form of suicides, were a game changer in terms of our overall conditioning. After we began doing them a couple of times per week, no matter how good our technique prior, we became wrestlers worthy of the title. The one caveat is that if they are not one of the more difficult types of training that you have done In your life, then you aren't doing them with enough intensity. Throwing up directly afterward should be a real risk if you are doing it correctly. The good thing is that you can train for 10-20 minutes and be in better cardio shape than almost anyone else.

The takeaway is that low intensity cardio does relatively little for conditioning. I don't care how long you jog for. For anything that surpasses a modicum of adaptation, sprinting is required for true aerobic conditioning. Everything else is a waste of time if not net harmful. The West, in general, needs to be better educated on the possible risks of extended oxygen depletion in low intensity cardio workouts. Brief, more intense depletion is inarguably superior in terms of both relative health risks and benefits.

Edited by golgi1, 08 October 2015 - 10:42 AM.

#8 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:42 PM

Is all good, just build up to things slowly and ensure your body has what it needs. Leave the gym feeling happy, is the best advice I can give. Over training is so easy to do, from many angles of reasoning and it DOES NOT EXIST if you a) have always over trained, or b) train/eat/rest properly. I'd go for b if you want to avoid scar tissue and injury!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,036 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:11 PM

More research to back-up the benefits of infrequent HIIT exercise to maximize longevity.

This is a great paper about the dose response curve of most types of exercise. There is a sweet spot, and it is not as much vigorous exercise as people think. Triathletes and marathoners have much higher risk of arterial fibrillation as they age.

The key take away is that there is little dose-response to moderate exercise. Basically, if you do a few active things everyday (walking, gardening, house chores, light work-out), you are hitting the sweet spot for longevity.

Edited by Mind, 26 December 2023 - 06:37 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hiit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users