EEG idea to treat negative thinking?

eeg

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 littlePawn

• 61 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:49 AM

I haven't purchased an EEG yet, and would like some advice first on whether or not the following would be possible (with a standard consumer version such as the muse or emotiv etc).

The idea would be that in order to treat negative thought processes that lead to anxiety, OCD, and other conditions, that the EEG would be hooked up and the raw data from these undesirable brainwaves could be monitored in a computer program which could be written in something simple like python.

The program would then connect to an external device delivering a minor electric shock to the body each time the undesired brainwave was detected.

The programming or connecting of an external device isn't a concern, but rather I'm curious if a standard commercial EEG would be able to monitor negative thought processes successfully, and output these in raw data format, and whether or not a "shock" to serve as a deterrent would be a good idea psychologically to condition oneself not to think these thoughts? Basically it would lead to forced "awareness". Would it be possible hypothetically to deliver the shock before the negative thought process itself, perhaps by identifying some precursor brainwave that leads to it?

I'm curious too whether something like this already exists and if not why not.

Many thanks for any input.

Edited by littlePawn, 30 November 2013 - 01:51 AM.

#2 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

In short no.

In slightly less short, the brain is way to complex.

Shocking might actually increase the thoughts or just change some other extraneous variable. Its a crazy idea and I wouldn't try it. No offense.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 littlePawn

• Topic Starter
  • 61 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for the input Tom, I'll take that on board.

Anyone else want to offer their thoughts?

#4 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:39 AM

Positive affirmations, start building yourself up from within, if your suffering from depression then convention treatment for depression + bio-feedback is what I suggest.
  • Ill informed x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#5 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 07:42 AM

Remember when your mom/support group leader/therapist/super confident self-help guru/The Secret told you that you should practice doing positive self-affirmations to make you better at that one thing you suck at? Turns out that doesn't really work...

Positive%20Affirmations%201280.jpg

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eeg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users