#241 katrina

• 117 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:56 AM

My supplements specifically for skin are:

Collagen peptides
zinc wth copper
biotin mega doses
daily vitamin

Have many skincare products that work miracles too. And tons of other supplements. Skin brushing, exfoliating, and needling also. Scrub the heck out of my skin too for decades. I am 55 and wrinkle free.

#242 katrina

• 117 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:59 AM

Is there a specific supplement that stops cheeks from sagging? I Know SOD might have this effect. Anything else?

Chew gum
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#243 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:02 PM

So because curcumin can inhibit specific types of inflammatory cytokines like PDE2 and COX2 as well as TNFa, I've been experimenting with a curcumin based topical solution.

I thought I would avoid reinventing the wheel and make it easy by just buying a 12 oz bottle of CeraVe with Ceramides and Hyaluronic acid.

Because this lotion contains various oils and alcohols I figure the curcumin would mix well with it and be soluble. I also added a small (just 1%) amount of DMSO to it as well.

The curcumin I added was originally 5% but I have since diluted the bottle down to 1% or less, as I realized the recommendations from various sites were talking about turmeric not the curcumin extract. 

So the obvious problem with anything turmeric related is that it stains. It's a horrible stain too. However, on the skin, the stain can be removed by any oil based cream.  Perhaps there is a percentage that does not result in staining but I haven't reached that point yet. If it's staining the skin it's obviously not completely absorbed. 

My worries about a curcumin based topical cream are mostly that I see various reports that it's unstable depending on the PH of the solution. I don't know what is meant by "stable" nor do I know what the PH of these creams are. If something contains Hyaluronic Acid though I'm going to assume it's got a lower PH than water. Less than 4 according to Google. Does this mean curcumin is stable in it? According to this study yes, it's actually a good thing.

I have mild rosacea and so far, I've seen only a 50% improvement with this cream but I'm not yet at the 30 day mark with treatments. It's time consuming since I need to be able to wash it all off my skin at some point or else I'll look like an oompa loompa, or Donald Trump. Getting it out from under the nails is damn near impossible but I'll find a way at some point.

Any feedback here? Suggestions?

My main assumption is that lowering inflammation in the skin is the best way to slow its aging.

Also, while I tried this initially, EGCG as a mild antioxidant performs well in skin tests but it is not soluble in this cream so it'd have to be in something else I think.

Edited by Nate-2004, 15 August 2018 - 02:07 PM.

#244 baccheion

• 154 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:01 AM

My supplements specifically for skin are:

Collagen peptides
zinc wth copper
biotin mega doses
daily vitamin

Have many skincare products that work miracles too. And tons of other supplements. Skin brushing, exfoliating, and needling also. Scrub the heck out of my skin too for decades. I am 55 and wrinkle free.

What have you used over the years? What do you look like (picture)?

#245 katrina

• 117 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 02:12 AM

What have you used over the years? What do you look like (picture)?

Will message a recent unaltered pic. Folks I hang out on social media with, reverse image search all the time. I like to keep my stuff private.

If you mean skincare, I just posted some of it here. My skincare regimen is massive.

https://www.longecit...24/#entry855979

And PS, most ladies my age don't wear daisy dukes like I do. Lol...

Edited by katrina, 21 August 2018 - 02:32 AM.

#246 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:59 PM

Does anyone know if you can make a 1:1 comparison bewteen Biocell and this pure collagen product here? 

http://www.msm-msm.c...el_number=00009

i mean compare that to this biocell product 

https://www.amazon.c...ioCell Collagen

does biocell have anything in it other than collagen? can you just do a straight price/mg comparison between the 2 products? 

thanks

Edited by Phoebus, 04 October 2018 - 08:12 PM.

#247 Trevor

• 56 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:22 PM

Does anyone know if you can make a 1:1 comparison bewteen Biocell and this pure collagen product here? 

http://www.msm-msm.c...el_number=00009

i mean compare that to this biocell product 

https://www.amazon.c...ioCell Collagen

does biocell have anything in it other than collagen? can you just do a straight price/mg comparison between the 2 products? 

thanks

Collagen type II is cartilage. Types I & III are better for skin and bone (and much cheaper). There are many studies using only a few grams a day yielding significant benefits for skin. You can get a pound of type I & III for around $15 bucks.

#248 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:27 PM

Collagen type II is cartilage. Types I & III are better for skin and bone (and much cheaper). There are many studies using only a few grams a day yielding significant benefits for skin. You can get a pound of type I & III for around $15 bucks.

I get best results with type II, really. Tried I and III and type II is the best in my personal experience. Seems research would also suggest that is the case. 

https://examine.com/...pe-ii-collagen/

Edited by Phoebus, 04 October 2018 - 08:34 PM.

#249 nickdino

• 162 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:21 PM

So how good or bad are these labresults? I was about to order this product but now i'm reading that collagen type 2 (biocell, uc2) is the way to go. Anybody got strong answers when it comes to collagen?

Ceramides are big in Korea, there are tons of products named Cerasomething.

I got some of this
California Gold Nutrition, CollagenUP™ 5000, Marine-Sourced Collagen Peptides + Hyaluronic Acid & Vitamin C,
https://www.iherb.co...-oz-204-g/64903
From iherb

Claims to have no fishy smell or taste but it is exactly the opposite. I mix it with sugary convenience store aloevera juice, have taken the 5g scoop daily for the last 3 days.

How does this product seem? It does not smell or taste that bad when mixed with a lot of juice, seems to have lost its smell a little today.

I have attached a report on the metals in it, bad?

Would I be better off with a different Collagen supplement?

Edited by nickdino, 04 November 2018 - 12:30 PM.

#250 Oakman

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:15 PM

I got some Magnolia Extract and was studying its properties and found this.

Magnolia Derived Honokiol and Magnolol Fight Against Skin Inflamm-Aging

https://mibellebioch...gn_Feb_2010.pdf

Abstract: In the process of aging, the immune system becomes less effective and its capacity to manage the inflammatory response is reduced. This can lead to chronic inflammation characterized by a slow but continuous production of free radicals. In skin, chronic inflammation causes the known phenomena of skin aging such as wrinkles and loss of elasticity. The term “inflamm-aging” describes this close relationship between inflammation and aging. During this process one of the inflammatory transcription factors, Nuclear Factor-Kappa B (NF-κB), remains active instead of self-regulating its level. The main component of the Magnolia bark extract, magnolol and honokiol, are known to block NF-κB as well as having anti-oxidant and anti-bacterial properties. In a commercial available ingredient these hardly water soluble actives were incorporated into lecithin liposomes for an optimal skin uptake. In clinical studies, the Magnolia based ingredient was shown to reduce redness in facial skin, to restore moisture and to prevent loss of skin elasticity. _____________________________________________________________________

Ok, so the product they discussed is called MAXnolia. It's available in some formulation on Amazon. However, after doing some experimentation using the Magnolia Extract I have, I found it was not soluble in H2O or MCT oil, but readily soluble in Olive oil and, better, in JoJoba Oil, and oil that purports to penetrate and moisturize the skin without leaving an oily residue. I mixed some (3 g JoJoba Oil to 100 mg extract) and found that the extract does indeed dissolve well, and hopefully I'll get similar results to the study as I test it on myself.

"The inhibition of NF-κB activity by magnolol and honokiol helps to stop the chronic inflammatory process which is linked to the skin’s ageing process and the development of lines, wrinkles, blotchiness and reddening of the skin. The results presented in this article show that the Magnolia based ingredient prevents loss of skin elasticity, restores moisture and reduces redness in facial skin. An overall improvement was achieved in the skin quality where the anti-inflammaging ingredient was applied."

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#251 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:30 AM

Interesting Oakman.

Where do you get the Magnolol and Honokiol; is it in powder form?

Just as a counterpoint - humble vitamin C in lipsomes is effective for skin elasticity, see:

https://www.altrient...on-Consumer.pdf

And again no need to buy the expensive supplement; I made liposomal Vit C myself and verified the results - don't expect lines to disappear but hollowness around the eyes can be reversed with this.

• Informative x 1

#252 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:30 AM

I have a home made cream which works very well to keep the youth of the skin.
The only side "effect" of the cream is that is composed of several ingredients, so there is a risk of "bad" interactions

I use a 100 gram Rose Hyps comercial cream as a base, then I added:

-2 grams centella asiatica extract powder

-1 gram Niacinamide

-1 gram D-Ribose

-500 mg Hyaluronic Acid

-1 gram Aloe Vera extract

-3 mg USP Methylene blue

What inmprovements have you seen, and what is your rationale for including the various ingredients?

• like x 1

#253 Oakman

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:32 PM

Interesting Oakman.

Just as a counterpoint - humble vitamin C in lipsomes is effective for skin elasticity, see:

And again no need to buy the expensive supplement; I made liposomal Vit C myself and verified the results - don't expect lines to disappear but hollowness around the eyes can be reversed with this.

Samsara Magnolia Bark Extract Powder (2oz/57g) 60% Honokiol, 25% Magnolol, which turned out to be a fine whitish powder, almost like talc. 

• Informative x 1

#254 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:12 PM

Interesting Oakman.

Hey QFL, any chance you can share your recipe for liposomal vit c?

I'm sold on the Altrient version but it is expensive.

#255 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:46 PM

Hey QFL, any chance you can share your recipe for liposomal vit c?

I'm sold on the Altrient version but it is expensive.

Easy. Follow this process. But you don't need the ultrasound machine, just a blender.

http://qualityliposo...cess/index.html

Then experiment with the dose. I found 3g VitC/day more than sufficient, but you can do more if desired.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#256 MKultra

• 71 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:33 AM

I have some DMAE and MSM powder, these two are often used in topical anti-aging creams.

Would it be safe to mix some DMAE powder with some other cream i wonder? No idea what kind amounts is used in creams though, or if its even a good idea that it gets into the system (bypassing the liver)...

MSM i have no bigger worries about and i've used it before on the skin (own mix).

The role of dimethylaminoethanol in cosmetic dermatology

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15675889

i've also seen on some forums where people think it helps (with pictures provided)

#257 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:11 AM

I don't think you need to use MSM on the skin. My experience is that this has rather obvious effects (on me) when taken orally in doses of 1-2 grams, and it happens within a day. I get these flaky elbows from time to time, then I take a couple of grams of MSM per day and it's gone within 48 hours. I think my face gets similar benefit altho since I'm never super dry in my face it's not as obvious, but there seems to be less of the dry bumpy skin in my forehead today after a 2 days of MSM. And in general my skin feels better and smoother today, and best I recall last time I used MSM like a year ago it had similar effects, but again the only super obvious thing is the elbows and things like that where the psoriasis-like symptoms disappear for me.

Be a bit careful with the MSM powder tho, I got really fine powder from Jarrow I bought long time ago but when put in water it does seem like the tiny crystals don't necessarily dissolve very fast so it might in other words be uncomfortable to get it in your eyes.

#258 baccheion

• 154 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:19 AM

I don't think you need to use MSM on the skin. My experience is that this has rather obvious effects (on me) when taken orally in doses of 1-2 grams, and it happens within a day. I get these flaky elbows from time to time, then I take a couple of grams of MSM per day and it's gone within 48 hours. I think my face gets similar benefit altho since I'm never super dry in my face it's not as obvious, but there seems to be less of the dry bumpy skin in my forehead today after a 2 days of MSM. And in general my skin feels better and smoother today, and best I recall last time I used MSM like a year ago it had similar effects, but again the only super obvious thing is the elbows and things like that where the psoriasis-like symptoms disappear for me.

Be a bit careful with the MSM powder tho, I got really fine powder from Jarrow I bought long time ago but when put in water it does seem like the tiny crystals don't necessarily dissolve very fast so it might in other words be uncomfortable to get it in your eyes.

MSM protocol:
- Split daily dose across 2 servings, preferrably 12 hours apart unless it interferes with sleep
- Will need more water
- 4:1 MSM:C
- Add 1g each week until taking 20g/day
- Stay at 20g (ie, 10g 2x/day) for 1 week
- Drop to 2g 2x/day as maintenance

Using an MSM lotion is then to combine effects.

MSM flakes or crystals are much better than fine powder or capsules.

MSM is best taken on an empty stomach 45 minutes before any other supplements or food, as it binds to many things.

MSM also has detox effects, as it increases cell permeability over time.

Silicon/monomethylsilanetriol goes well with MSM. When taking higher amounts of MSM, molybdenum (500-1,000 mcg) is also recommended.

Edited by baccheion, 06 May 2019 - 10:26 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#259 PretzelPie

• 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:50 PM

Supplements I take right now:

ALA/NAC

Pycnogenol

Tart Cherry

Plant Collagen (I use a variety - right now I'm using SunWarrior)

Pure Synergy Multi Vitamin
Now Super Antioxidants
Eggshell membrane (for collagen)
Aquamin Calcium

Pure Synergy Greens

• Good Point x 1

#260 Peatson

• 47 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:01 PM

1. Astaxathin 20mg a day
  2. Colostrum
  3. Matrixyl 3000 & Matrixyl Synthe'6 drops (morning and night)
  4. Ceramide creams with hyaluronic acid
  5. Caffeine with EGCG drops (morning and night) 
  6. Elemis pro-collagen SPF 30 cream 
  7. Sauna - 4 times a week for 15 minutes

• Good Point x 1

#261 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:48 AM

What are the effects MSM has on you?

#262 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:09 AM

1. Astaxathin 20mg a day
  2. Colostrum

Hi the Ceramide cream is it something you make yourself? Or what is it? Its very popular in Korea.

And why the only SPF 30 sunscreen?

I work from home and only really go outside in the day 15min max most days. Have been thinking of using less than 50+ sunscreen due to less chems.

#263 Peatson

• 47 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:24 AM

Hi the Ceramide cream is it something you make yourself? Or what is it? Its very popular in Korea.

And why the only SPF 30 sunscreen?

I work from home and only really go outside in the day 15min max most days. Have been thinking of using less than 50+ sunscreen due to less chems.

Hey, no I just buy it cheaply from CeraVe.

Also the SPF 30 is perfect for me, I find SPF 50 a little too much. Remember I also take 20mg Astaxanthin every day which is a powerful UV protector. 

#264 lancebr

• 440 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:17 PM

1. Astaxathin 20mg a day
  2. Colostrum

What is the Matrixyl 3000 & Matrixyl Synthe6 "drops"? 

When you say drops is that some type of DIY serum/cream you make or are you using them full strength?

What results have you seen from both of them?

#265 Peatson

• 47 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:43 AM

What is the Matrixyl 3000 & Matrixyl Synthe6 "drops"? 

When you say drops is that some type of DIY serum/cream you make or are you using them full strength?

What results have you seen from both of them?

I buy them from The Ordinary - check it out.

I find they help me have really smooth skin and also prevent heavy lines around my eyes which I often have. 

#266 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:33 PM

Hey, no I just buy it cheaply from CeraVe.

Also the SPF 30 is perfect for me, I find SPF 50 a little too much. Remember I also take 20mg Astaxanthin every day which is a powerful UV protector. 

Do you look like a carrot after astaxanthin supplementation? If so, I think the UV protection would be rather high indeed.

Anyway CeraVe has some products I like as well, currently using the CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion (available now in Sweden) which has ceramides and hyalauronic acid. I use it as the top layer on my sunscreen as it has some ingredients that can lock the moisture underneath. The "cream" that's in the jar is not much thicker to be honest, goes on rather easy as well.

Currently been experimenting with layering sunscreens as 50+ spf isnt nearly enough for me on it's own if I'm out in the summer for an hour here and there, gonna buy a hat as well to be honest. No cosmetic gains for me by exposing myself to sunlight, except discoloration (spots that don't go away). 

My favorite sunscreen so far is Biore Aqua Rich Watery Gel. Gonna try layering that with some la roche possay shaka fluid and moisturizers.

Edited by Keizo, 04 July 2019 - 06:42 PM.

#267 Peatson

• 47 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:38 PM

Do you look like a carrot after astaxanthin supplementation? If so, I think the UV protection would be rather high indeed.

Anyway CeraVe has some products I like as well, currently using the CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion (available now in Sweden) which has ceramides and hyalauronic acid. I use it as the top layer on my sunscreen as it has some ingredients that can lock the moisture underneath. The "cream" that's in the jar is not much thicker to be honest, goes on rather easy as well.

Currently been experimenting with layering sunscreens as 50+ spf isnt nearly enough for me on it's own if I'm out in the summer for an hour here and there, gonna buy a hat as well to be honest. No cosmetic gains for me by exposing myself to sunlight, except discoloration (spots that don't go away). 

My favorite sunscreen so far is Biore Aqua Rich Watery Gel. Gonna try layering that with some la roche possay shaka fluid and moisturizers.

I use it rather than applying any lotion, though I still use GreenPeople brand from time to time as it does not contain any of the typical toxic chemicals suncreams usually have. 

Also, nope I find it helps my skin glow quite nicely. I am olive skinned though, not pale. 

#268 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2022 - 12:00 PM

vitamin c and k increase blood flow which reduces dead skin build up and plaque in brain etc

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users