- - - - -

Where to study Neurochemistry ?

neurochemistry neurobiology university

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bernard

• 355 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

I am looking to study Neurochemistry but I can't decide which university is best for me. I only speak English and Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), so my choices are limited to english and chinese programs (basically most of the world except some parts of europe where programs are in german or french).

I don't have a previous university degree nor am I currently a student which means I need to start from scratch (undergraduate).

If you google "study neurochemistry" in Google you will regretfully find that only the Stockholm University has an actual department of neurochemistry. All other schools including Harvard Medical School put their neurochemistry under the neurobiology wing. Now I don't know if this is good or bad in terms of course quality but is the fact nevertheless. I contacted Stockholm University recently to inquire about their requirements for international students without a degree and they replied with the following information:

For our introductory course in neurochemistry with molecular neurobiology KN7001 you need to have either:

1. finished 60 ECTS (40 weeks of university studies) in chemistry and of these at least 7.5 ECTS (5 weeks ) needs to be in biochemistry or

2. finished 60 ECTS (40 weeks of university studies) in biology and of these at least 9 ECTS (6 weeks ) needs to be in zoo phsyiology or human physiology.

You also need to have English skills equal of the Swedish English B level. You can read more about the English requirements at: https://www.universi...h-requirements/

If you want to get into our master's program in neurochemistry (NNEUO) you first need to get a bachelor degree, that is 180 ECTS in either Chemistry or biology. Again you need to have at least 7.5 ECTS in biochemistry or 9 ECTS in zoophysiology and have English skill equal to swedish english B.

You apply to our master's program through university admissions in Sweden at: https://www.universi...s.se/intl/start

I have no idea what the requirements of other universities are.

Honestly I am looking to start without wasting much time in side-programs such as chemistry or zoophisiolgy. Money is not an issues in terms of tuition I can afford Ivy League as well.

My current concern is what the best university is.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

#2 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Are we to presume that you have impressive enough grades, background and test scores to qualify for admission to any undergraduate university in the world?

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 bernard

• Topic Starter
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

Yes I was the top student of my class. I have won 2nd place in the national chemistry contest as well.
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: neurochemistry, neurobiology, university

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users