how bad is it to eat tobacco?

tobacco

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hathor

• 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:13 AM

I recently had a psychotic break and was in the hospital and the doc is being paranoid about rx'ing me adderall, which quite frankly was the miracle drug for me.

I don't smoke, but I decided to eat 1/3 a cigarette and got a buzz similar to a 14mg nicotine patch, which was a bit strong for me, but it seems to work...killed my appetite and allowed me to focus.

I know it can't be healthy to parachute tobacco from a pack of cigarettes but my brain does work better on nicotine than on caffeine...it's just temporary til next month when my original doctor is available who I'm sure would still give me adderall or some other Rx ADHD med.

ADHD is really debilitating, moreso than schizo stuff unless I'm outright manic or psychotic, which usually is triggered by acute stress, like being in the hospital for other medical issues.

#2 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

If Nicotine patches help, why don;t you use them instead? Tobacco is fairly toxic when eaten.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

There is a rising trend in the use of vapors with clearomizers, a healthy way to get a low/medium/high dose nicotine in your system. I've been vaping for a week, didn't have a single sig or a craving for it (I'm a heavy smoker and self-medicate). I don't know if it is coincidence but so far, quitting regular cigarettes seems to alleviate some of my symptoms (my mind is more clear and I'm quite active this last week).

#4 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Nicotine is not toxic, it is designed to teach the bugs that would eat the plant a lesson: This plant is poisonous. Nicotine is not the toxin, it is an adjunct to the plant's defenses. But the plant is toxic and you souldn't eat it. If you need a long, sustained release of nicotine, use unflavored e-cig fluid. You can put it in a capsule and take it like a pill. It'll last a good while that way. Patches are also an option, although they are far more expensive than e-cig fluid.

#5 Majic

• 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:05 PM

Where There's Smoke...

It may or may not be relevant in this case, but there's a well-established association between schizophrenia and smoking:

Schizophrenia and smoking

The reasons for this connection have been debated for years, with something of a chicken-and-egg problem confusing the matter, but recent research suggests some fairly straightforward reasons for the connection:

Nicotine Therapy for Schizophrenia?

Not necessarily conclusive, but it's not a stretch to consider that if you have been hospitalized for psychosis and have a strong urge to eat tobacco, there may actually be very logical reasons for it.

I don't recommend smoking or eating tobacco, but I do think this craving and the possible reasons for it should be discussed with your doctor -- and that your doctor should not dismiss such a potentially clinically significant connection out of hand.

#6 hathor

• Topic Starter
  • 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

If Nicotine patches help, why don;t you use them instead? Tobacco is fairly toxic when eaten.

Price is the main issue. Can you elaborate on "fairly toxic"?

If you need a long, sustained release of nicotine, use unflavored e-cig fluid.

I didn't think about that, great suggestion, thanks :)

Majic: yes I've heard of those links before. I already complained loudly to the temporary pdoc about how I need my adderall to function. Nicotine works almost as well as addy but it's trickier to dose right and it builds up tolerance rather fast.

Edited by katimaya, 17 January 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#7 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

Try vaping nicotine instead. it is bad to eat tobacco. carcinogenic to be exact.

#8 Multicultural Harmony

• Validating/Suspended
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:39 AM

LoL :laugh: coaster

#9 hathor

• Topic Starter
  • 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:53 AM

Try vaping nicotine instead. it is bad to eat tobacco. carcinogenic to be exact.

well so is drinking soda with aspartame in it right?

i'm just asking how bad, i know it can't be good for me, but it's a stop gap for a couple weeks, i mean i could smoke it but then i have to smell the cig smell which is gross

#10 FW900

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:25 AM

Nicotine has a very poor oral bioavailability (estimates usually are ~20% or less); meaning you would absorb very little of it by eating a cigarette. Even if eating a cigarette was not bad for you, it would not give you nicotine in a sufficient enough quantity to have a noticeable effect. You likely observed appetite suppression because dried tobacco probably isn't the friendliest thing for your digestive system. Unless you are the world's most sensitive person to nicotine, the "buzz" was probably placebo.

You honestly are better off chewing a cigarette than eating it, (if nicotine absorption is your end goal). Doing either will have a negative impact on your health.

#11 hathor

• Topic Starter
  • 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:33 AM

it would not give you nicotine in a sufficient enough quantity to have a noticeable effect

It felt about the same to me as a 14mg nicotine patch. Placebo effect or not, I was definitely having the same type of buzz I get from smoking or nicotine gum, just a lot longer lasting.

People tend to get confused about what the placebo effect actually is anyway. Frankly, I like the effect because then I can take really small doses of stuff and still get the effects of it.

I think all medicine should be focused on inducing the placebo effect because it certainly is safer than the other side effects. And recent science has shown that the placebo effect outperforms most anti~depressants. So either sugar is a great anti~depressant or placebo effect is as important if not more important than "real" medicine.
  • dislike x 1

#12 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:22 AM

I would recommend eating tomacco, drizzled with a little EVOO and himalayan salt, that way you get your nicotine buzz and a variety of nutrients such as lycopene and trace minerals to combat the toxic effects. It is truly a marvel of GMO technology
  • like x 1

#13 Metagene

• 674 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

I had know idea tomacco was a thing.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 Nobility

• 133 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

If you look at the studies done, out of all drugs combined , tobacco is still the main leading cause of death and health issues.

- Nicotine, sure fine.
- tobacco, no. it may be good, and some may prefer to nicotine, but the matter of the fact is that tobacco is still a killer.
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tobacco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users