Photo
- - - - -

acetyl-L-carnitine

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 blaise

• 47 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:02 AM

After doing some research I have found out acetly-L-carnitine (ALCAR) is the fat soluble form of Carnitine and is readily absorbed across the blood-brain barrier.

Does this mean that ALCAR is best taken with food or to be more specific - fat?

I have noticed most people however, recommend taking ALCAR on an empty stomach. Right now I am taking 1600mg of ALCAR first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

Should I be taking this with breakfast? Also, how does the dosage amount sound? Should I add more and split the dosage to two times a day?

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:19 AM

I like to take my ALCAR and R-ALA with a teaspoon of fish oil 45 minutes to an hour before meals.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:46 AM

I hope you're not taking your ALCAR & R-ALA together within 10 minutes or so.

#4 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 20 June 2005 - 12:15 PM

ALCAR is fat soluble? Hmm i didn't know that, i'll have to do more reasearch. As for dosage it's best not to be taken with other aminos, so empty stomach is good. Dose should be split thru days since it's not that long acting.

johnmk why? I see everywhere it's recommended to take it together

#5 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:57 AM

Yes but not within the same 10-30 minute period. Same day, yes, same hour, sure why not. I tend to take ALCAR with my pre-meal supplements, wait at least 20 minutes, eat my meal, then take K-R-ALA right after my meal. My multivitamins and other with-meal supplements I tend to take right in the middle of my meal.

#6 blaise

• Topic Starter
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 03:32 AM

Whay do you do it this way johnmk? I have always heard that you should take ALCAR and K-RALA together on an empty stomach. Anyone else have an opinion?

#7 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:45 AM

Everything else is in line (exercise, weight lifting, vitamins, minerals, nootropics) but my appetite is not. That is the part of my equation I need to modify one way or another and will power is not enough.

#8 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:35 AM

johnmk ala is primarily used together with alcar to act as antioxidant, as alcar increases mito activity thus creating more radicals. I've also read that ala is best taken before meals on empty stomach. Have you read some studies that suggest not taking ala with alcar?

#9 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:50 PM

I'm sorry, I must not be communicating clearly. Let me attempt again.

Take ALA with ALCAR. But not in the same second! Take ALCAR, wait . . . at least 10 minutes, then take ALA.

Does that make sense to you? If you want to know why, please search forum.avantlabs.com with keywords polymerization ALA ALCAR. This may turn something up which you find interesting.

Thank you,

-John

#10 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:18 PM

If the peekiness issue of K-R-ALA is true, then shouldn't one take it before instances of elevated free radical generation such as meals and exercise?

#11 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:08 AM

Yes. But then you should wait two hours and take your ALCAR. You're supposed to take ALCAR on an empty stomach (it's commonly said) but with any formulation of ALA it simply does not matter and in fact may be beneficial to take with a meal (or at least some fat).

I don't know about you but I'm awfully impatient and don't like to revolve my life around my pills. I take my pre-meal, empty-stomach pills, then eat 20 minutes later or so. I then take the pills that don't care if my stomach is empty or not.

I've seen it mentioned somewhere that the anti-oxidant ability of human blood is much stronger than other species that have been used in ALCAR studies. That being the case, and my generally healthy diet and physical well-being, I think the risk of an hour or two of ALCAR without ALA being there is small. I am open to other opinions however and would love suggestions as to how ALCAR and ALA can be dosed together. I just want to avoid polymerization, as I'm sure do many who are aware of that potential. As to whether K-R-ALA has this limitation or not, and can be consumed with ALCAR, I am not sure and would welcome informed opinions.

#12 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:05 AM

As far as polymerization goes, the only thing I've ever read about that dealt with the need to refrigerate some brands. I have searched Avant's site, but I didn't find any info about what you are talking about. Granted, Avant does not have the best search engine.

#13 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:50 AM

Hmm if it's true that ALCAR will polymerize ALA, then maybe better option is to take ALA before ALCAR? But yet I have to find study to confirm this ALA - ALCAR polymerization thing.

#14 enemy

• 154 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:28 AM

I've had some experience with the K-R-ALA polymerization issue. Without going into gory details, I just decided to separate my K-R-ALA consumption from everything else, food, vitamin, supplements, even water.

Kinda drastic, I know.

#15 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:48 PM

Even water? too drastic :))

#16 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:52 PM

I've had some experience with the K-R-ALA polymerization issue.  Without going into gory details, I just decided to separate my K-R-ALA consumption from everything else, food, vitamin, supplements, even water.

Kinda drastic, I know.

I thought, according to the supplement forum thread about ALA, that one needs fat for ALA absorption to be as complete as possible?

#17 enemy

• 154 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:39 AM

Probably true, but I'm kinda leery of taking fish oil or CLA on an empty stomach.

#18 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:25 AM

If you decide to take fish oil on empty stomach (or cla) take few grams of simple carbs, otherwise your liver will make glycogen out of those oils. I've been taking 2 fish oil caps on empty stomach with 3gr of maltose lately and i don't get burps or any nasty feeling. It only happens if i take fish oil caps after a meal (but not if i take before).

#19 adammann

• 32 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:11 AM

I ordered ALCAR and K-R-ALA recently...tried mixing them together and got a tangled mess - which I assume is this polymerisation people have mentioned. So now I take ALA first (with bioperine, along with other supplements) and ALCAR 30mins later. Both on empty stomach.

#20 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:39 AM

If you decide to take fish oil on empty stomach (or cla) take few grams of simple carbs, otherwise your liver will make glycogen out of those oils.

Make glycogen out of oils???

#21 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:10 AM

Yeah I'm surprised by that myself. I'd like to see some information on that. A very very quick google search turned up nothing comprehensible within 5 seconds.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 juggernaut333

• 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:12 PM

I hope you're not taking your ALCAR & R-ALA together within 10 minutes or so.

Im looking for that thread but please explain as I have always read and been doing myself for yeeeears taking my rala and alcar powder or caps in the same swallow as the alcar kicks out the oxidation and u want that rala right there in there to quench that.I know it mixes funky in caps together and thats not good.But going into the stomach what difference does it make?Im not arguing just looking for clarifciation,thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users