creatine as nootropic?

creatine

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

I've taken creatine usually as a workout supplement. I'm currently using creatine monohydrate. The instructions is to take 20 grams per day for 5 to 7 days to saturate the body then drop to 5 grams daily. Why is this a nootropic and why the loading phase? I've never done the loading before when I took another form of creatine that required no loading phase. I split 20 grams 4 times daily. I've heard of people loading this for 2 days. Why did the instruction say 5 to 7 days?

#2 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

Creatine has other effects than on muscles. One of it's functions is to protect ATP in intercellular transits. And it is useful as a nootropic because most of the ATP in the body is used by the brain. Add on to that that most nootropic explorers are also health conscious, and have a likelyhood that they are not eating as much meat as the average person, and you have a situation where supplementation of both B12 and Creatine is recommended.

Ultimately the reputation comes from a study done on vegitarians that showed improved testing scores after taking Creatine. If you eat enough meat, this effect does not occur. If you don't eat meat, taking 5 grams of Creatine a day could make you smarter. Otherwise it's not going to be effective.

The loading instructions you see can safely be ignored. There are some people who say that, for working out, the loading phase is crucial, and others who say that a low level of Creatine just works. Whether or not it's necessary for working out, for nootropic purposes, it can be ignored, and 1-5 grams a day supplemented directly.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#3 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

why is creatine usually recommended to take along with glucose (aka dextrose)? I do use glucose as sweetener sometimes. Not sure why creatine and glucose would go along well with each other. Does anyone know?

#4 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

Glucose provides the insulin spike which results in the activation of the transport protein glut-4. This in turn results in the muscle cells absorbing more glucose as well as more creatine.

Interestingly enough, fenugreek proves to be as effective as dextrose when it comes to creatine absorption.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3761853/

Edited by Adaptogen, 25 March 2014 - 12:19 AM.

#5 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:25 AM

are you saying glucose gives insulin spike because creatine somewhat lowers insulin?

are you saying glucose is not so bad as some people are making it out to be? I only take a teaspoon of it. How much should I take when taking 5 grams of creatine daily, sometimes one dose sometimes split 2.5 grams.

Edited by eon, 25 March 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#6 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:34 AM

i'd imagine the effects of such a small amount of glucose are negligible. and pure glucose is generally accepted as a better alternative to things such fructose or sucrose. however, if you are really worried, you could consider fenugreek as an alternative. not only does it help with creatine absorption, but it also increases testosterone.

I recall reading that creatine is more effectively absorbed post workout... so by taking your creatine+glucose combo post workout, you will more effectively utilize the creatine as well as quickly restore your glycogen levels.

#7 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

I do split my 5 gram daily creatine into 2.5 g pre workout, then 2.5 g post workout. On no workout days it's either 5 g one dose or split 2.5 g am and pm. I'll consider adding glucose pre and post workout as well. I only use glucose to sweeten my teas but now I could use it for workouts. I'll look into fenugreek. Is that a sweetener?

Edited by eon, 25 March 2014 - 12:58 AM.

#8 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

since there is no set rule how much glucose I should take with creatine (monohydrate), I usually take 1 gram of glucose when taking a 5 g dose of creatine. 1 gram of glucose is barely a teaspoon. I hope this is good enough.

#9 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

I suppose it's worth noting that in the study that was done with vegans and Creatine that showed increased test scores, Glucose was used as the control. It showed absolutely no activity as a mind enhancer, pro or con. Use however much you need to sweeten things, I guess.

#10 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:41 AM

Can creatine be used year round or it's best to cycle?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#11 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 09 January 2022 - 10:29 AM

"Cordyceps and Creatine are a highly synergistic combination that deserves their place in any serious Biohacker's arsenal. That they are both safe and likely effective at improving energy, and overall health, in most circumstances, and while currently overlooked by the majority of even well-informed biohackers, will give you that much-needed advantage when it comes to productivity and energy." Reports Dinnin Freeman after over a year of experimentation with this lesser-known Nootropic stack...

7f7e5fb01be47725ce31f2d4c2b1c4c9.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: creatine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users