Is NMDA itself orally active?

nmda oral bioavailable

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

Hello,

I got bored and typed in "NMDA" at eBay, and saw pure NMDA being sold. Tried searching for oral bioavailability info, but no luck.
Is it orally active?

Cheers.

#2 andrea23

• 82 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

Used as a testosterone booster in gym.

Through extensive scientific research and beta testing, we discovered that n-methyl-d-aspartate was up to 100X’s more potent at increasing testosterone that regular D-Aspartic Acid (D-Asp is the precursor to NMDA)

Edited by andrea23, 13 March 2014 - 01:53 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

Why would you risk having your candle burned so bright that it might cease to burn later?

There are many effective ways to enhance cognition, and directly stimulating nmda seems like a crapshoot, especially if prolonged

#4 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

Do not take NMDA directly. It's a well known excitotoxin.

http://en.wikipedia....D-aspartic_acid

NMDA is an excitotoxin (it kills nerve cells by over-exciting them); this trait has applications in behavioral neuroscience research. The body of work utilizing this technique falls under the term "lesion studies". Researchers apply NMDA to specific regions of an (animal) subject's brain or spinal cord and subsequently test for the behavior of interest, such as operant behavior. If the behavior is compromised, it suggests the destroyed tissue was part of a brain region that made an important contribution to the normal expression of that behavior.

You may want to look into something like D-Serine: http://www.longecity...ropic-d-serine/

http://en.wikipedia....erine#Signaling

D-Serine, synthesized in the brain by serine racemase from L-serine (its enantiomer), serves as both a neurotransmitter and agliotransmitter by coactivating NMDA receptors, making them able to open if they then also bind glutamate

Edited by abelard lindsay, 13 March 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#5 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Actually, for the same reason, you probably shouldn't take DAA either.

#6 formergenius

• Topic Starter
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

@andrea23 Yes, I try to ignore the marketing talk.

Re: directly agonizing NMDARs or taking NMDA:

I'm aware of the excitotoxicity concerns, however AFAIK, NMDA is excitotoxic when applied directly to the brain. Considering the difficulties in performing such actions for self-administration, my intentions were to take it orally. To date, I have yet to find studies indicating excitotoxicity when administered via another RoA, though I can imagine it to be so nonetheless.

The reason I am looking in to it, is because I believe NDMAR activation may be beneficial to my condition. I have already tried Glycine and Sarcosine, but they don't seem to bring about much. I doubt D-serine would be any different. Isn't NMDA conditionally excitotoxic, thus not by definition so? I.E. doesn't it only become excitotoxic when present in excess, thus causing hyperactivity of the NMDAR, thus causing the ensuing excitotoxicity?

Edited by formergenius, 13 March 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#7 totflare

• 21 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

If your NMDA receptors are downregulated I'm afraid you're only gonna make it worse with agonists. There was a time I was consuming a lot of gelatin (glutamic acid + glycine) every day. It definitely made me feel a lot better for a while (brighter colours, connected with your surroundings, great mood, calmer etc). But after a month it stopped working and I was actually worse off after that and I still am. Now when I consume enough gelatin it only makes me feel anxious.

#8 formergenius

• Topic Starter
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

If your NMDA receptors are downregulated I'm afraid you're only gonna make it worse with agonists. There was a time I was consuming a lot of gelatin (glutamic acid + glycine) every day. It definitely made me feel a lot better for a while (brighter colours, connected with your surroundings, great mood, calmer etc). But after a month it stopped working and I was actually worse off after that and I still am. Now when I consume enough gelatin it only makes me feel anxious.

Perhaps, perhaps not.

Just bumping really; absolutely nobody knows whether oral administration of NMDA is bioactive?

#9 Luxflux

• 26 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

NAC and pregnenolone are probably the best NMDA modulators out there. Since I believe I have some kind of genetic problem with my voltage gated calcium ion channels, I've taken both of these for quite some time. Preg is purported to cause new NMDA receptors to form on the cell, and NAC effects NMDA function via the redox cycle. I have taken sarcosine, but the combo of preg/NAC is far more potent in my experience. Try these before trying anything as risky/untested as oral NMDA.
  • like x 1

#10 formergenius

• Topic Starter
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

NAC and pregnenolone are probably the best NMDA modulators out there. Since I believe I have some kind of genetic problem with my voltage gated calcium ion channels, I've taken both of these for quite some time. Preg is purported to cause new NMDA receptors to form on the cell, and NAC effects NMDA function via the redox cycle. I have taken sarcosine, but the combo of preg/NAC is far more potent in my experience. Try these before trying anything as risky/untested as oral NMDA.

Yes I've taken NAC for a long time, but it never did anything. What dose of Pregnenolone do you take, and how long did it take to see benefits?
I'm not going to take the NMDA, but I do have D-AA that I intend to try, even if it's only short term to see whether NMDAR activation benefits me.
D-serine looks more interesting than Sarcosine and Glycine from what I've read in the meantime, so I might try that as well.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Luxflux

• 26 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:21 AM

The dose I took varies....it was in powder form, I didn't measure. But based on the total weight of the powder, no more than 50mg a day. They have a synergistic effect...I didn't notice much until i took NAC, sarco, and preg all at once. In my experience they did not work very well by themselves.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nmda, oral, bioavailable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users